It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Quietly Repeals Martial Law Provision

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Congress Quietly Repeals Martial Law Provision

www.antiwar.com

In late 2006, Congress revised the Posse Comitatus Act and the Insurrection Act to make it far easier for a president to declare martial law. Those changes were repealed at the end of this January as part of Public Law 110-181 (HR 4986), the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 (signed into law by President Bush on January 28, 2008).

Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt), who championed the opposition to the original law, was also the hero of the repeal. It helped that all the nation’s governors opposed the 2006 law.

Boise State Professor Charlotte Twight, the author of the excellent Dependent on DC, alerted me to the change last night. I checked on Nexis and the only news coverage I found regarding the repeal was a 322-word Gannett News wire story from February 1 that focused on how the repeal made governors happy.

I first wrote about the Posse/Insurrection peril for American Conservative a year ago. My most recent piece on the subject was an article for the January issue of the Future of Freedom Foundation’s (FFF) Freedom Daily. The law was changed between the time the piece was published and when FFF posted the January article online on April 9.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
omg, something useful happened in CONgress...

what do you guys (and gals) think?

www.antiwar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Somehow I really doubt that this will stop the Bush is going to become a dictator crowd. Good find, sometimes good things do happen.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I agree.... im sure it won't slow down Bush and his legion of doom... BUT..
it's nice to see something kinda good happen, even for a moment.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Regardless of it's overall impact, it's nice to see someting in favor of the public for a change. Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I said it before and I'll say it again - when the lights come on they scatter and run under the fridge.

Our legislators are 'suddenly' becoming aware that their 'constituents' are watching them, and they are not as stupid as they were told by the PTB. It's damage control time. The parties themselves must do all in their power to claim to have 'no connection' to the power struggle of, and distance themselves from, the corporate junta's machinations.

Unfortunately this particular repeal, while an excellent development from a public perspective, does not really make it impossible for the 'dirty deed' to be done. It will just make it necessary to be more 'blatant'. In effect, it just took away the 'congressional camouflage' of martial law. To which I think many a junior legislator is letting forth a sigh of relief. But that's just my opinion.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Emperor Palpatine, I'm sorry, Emperor Bush, doesn't need congress, nor does he need the Constitution. When he wants to take complete power, I'm sure he will.

Props to Congress for at least making an attempt though!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Every once in a while a little ray of hope shines out of DC

I kinda felt the same way when Congress acted to ban mass gun seizures like in New Orleans after Katrina.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Yeah sure... while they are doing that and gun confiscations all over america... and checkpoints, tasers deaths, probably in the next weeks raids on those who fight the income tax... 911... ect...

This country is one nuclear attack away from total martial law with war in the streets.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Last time I checked Kroll and Blackwater weren't US military... I assume they would be used to hold down martial law anyhow since the regular army will be swamped with whatever conflict acts as a trigger to martial law.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Seems like a dog and pony show. Theres nothing stopping them from re-enacting the "law" and or ignoring it at all..

I think it was a test run . It went off without too much of a hitch . Imagine if we were actually in "distress"

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Not to mention the fact that Canadian troops are now authorized to operate in the US in case of "emergency."

EDIT to add: I am certainly skeptical of this move by Congress. The only reason this measure was taken "quietly" now, is so that they can use it at some later date to defend themselves politically. "See, we were really against this all along" sort of thing, if it all goes bad. It's insurance for them, not us.

[edit on 4/18/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Here's why this move by Congress doesn't really amount to a hill of beans...

There's also a video in this thread that should be looked at...

Video: New American Theology of Civil Submission

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
reply to post by 44soulslayer

It's insurance for them, not us.

JitB, I think you have this nailed. If the Martial Law attempt fails, there they will sit, with the pages of this thrust forth, saying, "Hey! We tried to stop this early on..."

Geez, what a bunch of [insert rude and forbidden term here]!

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
You want to know something kind of..., weird. I am actually encouraged by this thread! But mostly by the exchange I've seen follow it! It confirms for me that - no matter what CT are out there ... some people GET IT!

Peace - Honor - Strength

Starred and flagged! - I wish points could to go everyone!

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Last time I checked Kroll and Blackwater weren't US military... I assume they would be used to hold down martial law anyhow since the regular army will be swamped with whatever conflict acts as a trigger to martial law.

They may not be American, per se, but most of our law enforcement has already conceded or at least shared defacto authority to them. The true century of the mercenary has begun. They are generally better equipped, less restricted, better compensated, and virtually free from accountability.

Would be nice if we could put them out of business. But I guess we would have to stop killing each other - so that's out of the question.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Mere words is all this is.

Words mean nothing unless action is taken to ratify them.
Bush remains in office, he remains, and has proven himself on numerous occasions, able to completely bypass all written law as if it were written on a napkin.

We simply cannot feel safe, or free, until Bush, and his like minded assistants are stripped of power.

He still wields the power to torture, and the power to detain without warrant.
With torture, you can get anyone to admit to anything, regardless of absurdity.
With unwarranted detainment, those who might have resisted fascism, will now bow to it through fear.

Unless of course, your one true fear, is fascism.

If you are susceptible to brainwashing through torture, or through the pressure of peers. Get out of the country.
If you have your values straight, and brazen, then we need you here now more than ever.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I will say this at the risk of sounding like a broken record, but everyone should keep in mind, that the US Constituition has been suspended since 1933.

The Federal government, state government, local government, right on down to your own individual sovereignty are the property of the privately owned Federal Reserve Bank, held in default by those receivers of the US bankruptcy in 1933. You are no longer a sovereign person allotted the inalienable rights as outlined in the US Consitution, you are an incorporated citizen with privileges extended to you as a matter of public policy.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic
Emperor Palpatine, I'm sorry, Emperor Bush, doesn't need congress, nor does he need the Constitution. When he wants to take complete power, I'm sure he will.

And who says Star Wars isn't based on truth!

ROFL!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Actually, throughout episodes 1-3, I kept thinking, hmm. Anakin: You're either with us, or against us. Bush: You're either with us, or against us. Coincidence?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join