It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Merck Wrote Drug Studies for Doctors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Merck Wrote Drug Studies for Doctors

www.nytimes.com

The drug maker Merck drafted dozens of research studies for a best-selling drug, then lined up prestigious doctors to put their names on the reports before publication, according to an article to be published Wednesday in a leading medical journal.

The article, based on documents unearthed in lawsuits over the pain drug Vioxx, provides a rare, detailed look in the industry practice of ghostwriting medical research studies that are then published in academic journals.

The article cited one draft of a Vioxx research study that was still in want of a big-name researcher, identifying the lead writer only as “External author?”

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
skeptically.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ATS: Merck and Vioxx: A Twisted Tale of Cover-ups, Pork and Profits

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I suppose this item can be filed in the "Why are we not surprised..." drawer.

Vioxx represents a very high profile case of an unsafe drug being released by a company despite awareness of problems with the drug's safety. After being linked to heart attacks, Merck eventually reached a $4.85 billion settlement to resolve tens of thousands of lawsuits filed by former Vioxx patients and their families.

What really has me steamed here is that even in such a high profile case such as this one, it has taken years for this information to surface. One can only wonder how MANY similar events have occured with other of their drugs which may not have been under such scrutiny.

I do not believe these companies need more protection, what they need is more stringent guidelines and oversight. It seems that each year they are growing increasingly more insulated from accountability. Where does this end?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Further links here

[edit on 17-4-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I am not surprised to hear about a drug company basically teaching doctors that their product is not only effective, but safe!!

Would it be any surprise, or even possibly similar to point out that Science Diet Pet food also provides pamphlets and "training" to Veterinarians, to inform that their pet food is not only the most nutritious to feed pets... But to "prescribe" the different varieties, for different illnesses?

No kidding, they have varieties for overweight dogs, old dogs, dogs with arthritis, and many other conditions that are actually CAUSED by dog food like their own??
A high quality dog food is efficient for ALL dogs, and will provide all of the nutrients they need, to not come down with stupid ailments.

Well, I am sorry. Not related, at all. The dog food issue desereves its own thread, but it bothers me that such tactics are used to fool a person of such trust, into harming those they are responsible to care for.

new topics

join