It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Plan to Collect DNA Samples From Everyone They Arrest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — The government plans to begin collecting DNA samples from anyone arrested by a federal law enforcement agency — a move intended to prevent violent crime but which also is raising concerns about the privacy of innocent people.
Using authority granted by Congress, the government also plans to collect DNA samples from foreigners who are detained, whether they have been charged or not. The DNA would be collected through a cheek swab, Justice Department spokesman Erik Ablin said Wednesday. That would be a departure from current practice, which limits DNA collection to convicted felons.
Expanding the DNA database, known as CODIS, raises civil liberties questions about the potential for misuse of such personal information, such as family ties and genetic conditions.
Ablin said the DNA collection would be subject to the same privacy laws applied to current DNA sampling. That means none of it would be used for identifying genetic traits, diseases or disorders.
Congress gave the Justice Department the authority to expand DNA collection in two different laws passed in 2005 and 2006.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I thought taking fingerprints was bad enough. Now they want our genitic code? I give up. We have no chance to stop the government from controlling us. Only way around this seems not to be aressted. But what if your innocent? Oh well they take your DNA anyway. I wonder if we could get rights to refuse the government from taking of our DNA.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
This is already being done in the UK and has been for some time. Anyone arrested has fingerprints, photograph and DNA taken.

It does have some positive sides though in fairness, some indiviuals have been sucessfully caught and prosecuted for old offences where forensic analysis of the scene has revealed DNA traces. They would not have been caught had this system not been in place.

However I am uneasy about the fact that if I was arrested and released without charge my DNA etc would remain on file perminantly.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I guess if police really wanted to get your DNA, fingerprints, etc., they could, by going to where you live and gathering some from wherever. I think it really has some pros and cons.
Pro: to catch rapist's and murders, find a blood donor, or other medical uses
Con: Not being able to controll what the government does with your DNA, and possibly this is a step in the direction of a microchip with dna info on it that identifies you thats in your body.

top topics

join