It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In-Vitro meat may be coming soon to a supermarket near you

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Would you vegetarians out there eat in-vitro meat? I would.

Nay

But id rather people eat this then raising helpless animals in a prison environment as if they were serial-killers on lock-down.

I am content with eating mostly fruits and veggies. I actually don't like the flavor of meat so that probably won't change with this.

I think many vegetarians might just be okay with eating this meat. I dunno.. maybe. I know some vegetarians that are only vegetarians because of the factory farming and slaughtering process alone. Depends on the reasons for going veggie, there are many.

[edit on 043030p://17u24 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
I can't even visualize something like this.

Will it have bones and organs and a heart?

You just can't grow meat, it isn't a vegetable.

It isn't grown, it is BORN!!!

I think it will be reminiscent of those cultured human ears on petri dishes..

Or..

See. Easy enough. Just cut that ear off and smother it in your favorite cajun spread. Serve with some pinot noir. Mmmm

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
I know some vegetarians that are only vegetarians because of the factory farming and slaughtering process alone.

*raises hand* (Although I do still eat seafood)

Oh and thanks a lot for reminding me of the ear-mouse.

On a related note, this same technology could also be used to grow replacement organs. And no, you wouldn't have to grow them on a living creature.

This documentary about earth 50 years in the future mentions the possibility of "printable organs". It's basically the same thing. Biotechnology is starting to churn out some weird yet beneficial stuff.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

Yeah, this is actually my research field for my masters degree at the moment.

Inkjet printing can be used to create an organ out of the body.

Using the same application to produce meat is wholely commercially unviable... its just too damn costly!

I can safely say that human cell derived products are already on the market, and that organs which have been tissue engineered are about 10 years from market at the moment. In fact we have already tissue engineered and implanted a heart valve here at the university... fascinating stuff.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Really? What's your masters in?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

MEng Bioengineering.

We deal with this tech on a daily basis, it can be quite a shock how basic some of our techniques are (like dropping a scaffold into cells and just hoping that some will stick to form an organ haha).

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Yum

Roll on the day!

I'm not a vegetarian; I love meat, and have never been able to get concerned enough about animal slaughter to stop eating it, although I do so with some guilt.

How wonderful to have all the tasty, juicy meat we want and never have to kill a single animal to get it.

Hmm... I wonder if they'd get around to culturing human tissue the same way, for those who enjoy exotic treats? Might be interesting... I'd love to claim I thought of this myself, but credit where it's due -- to Iain M. Banks and his brilliant novella The State of the Art.

It would give a whole new meaning to the phrase 'yummy Mummy'... okay, I'll stop now.

[edit on 18-4-2008 by Astyanax]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by nexusclub

Have you ever been to a slaughterhouse? Or one of the "farms"? I have. It was enough to make me only eat fish, and what game I shoot myself. Sharks don't systematically torture and mutilate their prey for months before killing them. Next time you eat hamburger, remember it's likely the flesh of a dairy cow with deformed legs and a distended udder full of pus who's backside had rotted off from infections due to caked feces.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy I know some vegetarians that are only vegetarians because of the factory farming and slaughtering process alone. Depends on the reasons for going veggie, there are many.
[edit on 043030p://17u24 by Lucid Lunacy]

There are lots of vegetarians who don't eat meat becuase of the suffering of animals yet these same people seem to conveniently block out the fact that when farmers plough the fields for wheat e.c.t thousands of smaller animals are slaughtered, with many left to die slowly after losings body parts.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
but if we can get so many millions of pounds of meat from one one animal then why will the price not nearly be free?

that Wendy's combo meal is still going to cost the same even if it is already tasting like slightly spoiled hamburger.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
sorry... Wendy's new meat does not taste like spoiled hamburger... it smells like it or kind of funny.

the people who have access to this technology either stand to make billions of dollars or end war and feed the world...

what do you think the power players are gonna do?
edit on 27-3-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join