It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Download great quality Hubble photographs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hi All,

I am sure that a lot of you already know this but for those of you who don't you can actually download Hubble pictures from our galaxy and photos of gorgeous nebulae and all types of galaxies as well. Some of you asked where I got my background and so I figured a lot of you would love to go and look at all the photos.

This photo in my background came from the Hubble site, it's an infrared photo of Saturn.

Here's the link to the photo gallery, so please enjoy

hubblesite.org...
Edit to add a P.S.

Even if you don't want to download them, they are spectacular to just browse through...I showed them to some friends who aren't necessarily into this sort of thing and they were stunned at the beauty of the photos so they are worth just looking through even if you're not into space exploration.

[edit on 12-4-2008 by LateApexer313]

[edit on 12-4-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Thanks for the link, LA...And welcome to ATS

Its nice to have a link that is the start page of the site so you don't end up having to backtrack from some other directory

Cheers

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Hiyah Rilence and thanks for the welcome!

I hope you enjoy the Hubble photo gallery as much as I did....I am thinking about having a few of my favorites professionally printed out and framing them and hanging them in my little computer room here...

My only fear is that I will go crazy and start hanging them on every available wallspace

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Because I realize how time constraints are on all of us due to real life, and because I think that some of you will just prefer to browse some of these awesome photographs in the simplest means available...

I chose some of my personal favorites so you can just click on these links then go about your ATS business

Title: 3 Moons Cast Shadows on Jupiter
hubblesite.org...

Mars Storm Brews

hubblesite.org...

The Majestic Sombrero Galaxy

hubblesite.org...

Gas pillars in the Eagle Nebula

hubblesite.org...

Ok, that's all the promoting I am going to do of these awesome photographs
Like I said, enjoy...hope this entices some of you who might not bother to go to my link, to actually go to the link and look at the photographs

[edit on 13-4-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Thanks for the link... love those pictures and to return the favor check this site out.

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Thanks Grover for the link, glad you enjoyed the Hubble photos.

Love your Yeats quotes too....

"That twenty centuries of stony sleep
were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? "

One of my all time favorite poems...
Thanks for posting

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I like Yeats too.

For those of you who are Mac users (like me) and use google earth a lot (like me) check this freeware offering from Osaka City University... it might be worth your time.

www.apple.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Hi LA. Great thread. I love this site. Such stunning pics. Hubble has been the greatest tool in understanding the universe. I'll never forget the clarity of M100 after the 1st repair mission:

If anyone is interested, you can enter your email addres on the Hubble site here and receive instant Hubble images, news, etc.

Also worth noting is the August, 2008 service mission (SM4).

SM4 has an ambitious program of activities and three main objectives.

The first objective is to extend Hubble's operational life by at least five years. Over a series of five spacewalks, astronauts will replace all six gyroscopes, install new batteries, and exchange a degraded Fine Guidance Sensor with a new one. They will also install replacement thermal insulation on critical component bays of the telescope, and attach a mechanism that will aid in Hubble's final de-orbiting.

The second objective is to enhance Hubble's scientific power. Astronauts will install two new instruments, the Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3) and the Cosmic Origins Spectrograph (COS). WFC3, which sees in visible, infrared and ultraviolet light, will improve Hubble's sensitivity 10-30 times because of improvements in technology and design that have occurred since the last instruments were installed.

The third objective is to repair Hubble's out-of-commission instruments, the Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph (STIS) and the Advanced Camera for Surveys (ACS). STIS stopped working in 2004 and ACS failed in 2007.

If these objectives can be successfully carried out during the servicing mission, then Hubble will be at the apex of its scientific capability, with six working, complementary science instruments. These upgrades will keep Hubble functioning at the pinnacle of astronomy well into the next decade.

~source~

Lots and lots to look forward to.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
thanx for the link. I have always found space images facinating

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Hiyah Rush...

I agree the Hubble is the greatest. Thanks for posting that update on how they are going to "turbo it up." How sweet is that? More powerful ...I can't wait! I hope it goes well and that mission is a success.

Hiyah Jickler...

You're very welcome, I am sure you'll love them

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hi LA. I bumped up your thread just for an update reagarding the August 28, 2008 Hubble service mission. It is being delayed by up to at least five weeks for external fuel tank(s) service.

NASA Delays Shuttle Flight to Hubble Space Telescope

HOUSTON - NASA has pushed back the planned launch of the final flight to overhaul the Hubble Space Telescope by up to five weeks due to external fuel tank delays, mission managers said Thursday.

Space shuttle program manager John Shannon said that the additional time required to include post-Columbia safety improvements in two shuttle fuel tanks supporting the Hubble servicing mission have delayed the spaceflight to no earlier than late September. A seven-astronaut crew was slated to launch toward Hubble aboard NASA's shuttle Atlantis on Aug. 28.

~article~

Bummer. But, safety first.

Rush

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hi All...

An update to all of you who love the Hubble photos

Today, in celebration of the Hubble Space Telescope's 18th launch anniversary, 59 views of colliding galaxies constitute the largest collection of Hubble images ever released to the public. This new Hubble atlas dramatically illustrates how galaxy collisions produce a remarkable variety of intricate structures in never-before-seen detail.

hubblesite.org...

Here's the link where you can go look at all the 59 new photos as well
They are absolutely stunning so check them out if you're interested in this sort of thing!

hubblesite.org...

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well there went 2 1/2 hours of my life I'll never get back.....

Just kidding man, I've been collecting high res nebulae pics for a while now and this link just added substantially to my collection.

There is just something about a .5Gb pic (which requires 1Gb of free RAM to even view) that makes the geek in me come bubbling right out of my pores.

'scuse me, I gotta go take a shower now!

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

LOL I hear that! I have some of the good ones framed and on the wall here in my study

I keep adding more, soon I will be the crazy "Hubble chic" with every inch of wall space in here covered

new topics

top topics

join