It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas School Suspends Student for Answering Call in Class From Dad in Iraq

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

It's not necessary to defend yourself to me. I said that almost everyone had taken one side or another, not everyone. And that is true.

I'm unsure of your intent in posting this. If your ego was somehow harmed by my post, that was not intentional. Are you suggesting that my opinion is void because it is "pretty close" to yours? If so, then I feel that I have a right to express my own opinion, regardless of its similarity to anyone else's. Or are you just making sure that your opinion is duly noted? It is. Rest easy.

Let's focus on furthering the discussion if we're going to focus on anything here.

/tn.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by teleonaut]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Every school, other than some private schools have this policy, I think it's definitely ok when the teacher is lecturing.

But if when your dad from Iraq took some strenuoous time to call you should be able to get out of the classroom and talk to him. This could be a rare opportunity for the child.

I guess the teacher is a jackass. However the policy's gotta do what it's designed to do.

[edit on 4/13/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

I didn't expect my post to be misinterpreted (Guess i need to hire a proof reader :p). I'm, glad i could clarify that for you .

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Covered in u2u. Post removed for clutter/off topic.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by d11_m_na_c05]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The only reason I can see for that wonderful institution, Fox News, reporting something like this is to normalize in the minds of the public the presence of men and women serving in Iraq. Beats having to focus on whether they should be there or not by promoting such deliberate plucking of people's heart strings.

Less focus on the troops and their trials and tribulations (which they volunteered for by the way, so not a lot of sympathy from yours truly) and more focus on why they shouldn't be there would be nice. Doubt you'll see that on Fox News....

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm a little tired of hearing the excuse
WELL THEY VOLUNTEERED
When they volunteered, they had some understandings including:

If they were sent to war it would be a just war.

They would NOT be serving 15 + month tours-no other groups has including during WWII.

They would not receive stop loss orders as a matter of practice.

They didn't think so many reserves and traditionally domestically serving corps such as the National Guard, would be shipped over seas for extended periods of time.

When they signed up, they were told they would receive the equipment needed to do their jobs. Why don't they have the body and vehicle armor they need? Why exactly are they being sent SILLY STRING by their parents so they can use it to test for booby traps so the don't DIE!

How would you feel if you took a job and you had to sign a 5 year contract and were told you would work 40 hours per week, monday - friday. Once you sign, they tell you you must work 90 hours per week, 7 days per week. You tell them you quite but the contract says if you do, you go to jail. Oh and by the way, if they don't make enough profits, they can extend your contract indefinitely.

I simply don't understand why we can't give soldiers and their families a little EXTRA consideration ????????? What's the big deal?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Rules are made to be broken. There is no reason the kid couldn't step outside the room for a few minutes to take the important call.
And why not cell phones in class? There's no telling when an emergency might occur, and someone needs to be contacted. As long as the class is undisturbed there should be no rules against it.
Rules, prohibitions and more rules. Is this all that society is nowadays?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
WELL THEY VOLUNTEERED

I understand where you are coming from and you make some excellent points.

However, it still remains that there is too much "boo-hoo the poor soliders" and that we are not allowed to comment on the war once they are deployed, as doing so would not be "supporting the troops". I'm all for supporting the troops in a just cause and honoring their commitment, but this is not a just cause and their commitment is being tarnished in the name of profit.

My point is, stories like this only distract from the fact that they shouldn't be there, no-one wanted them there and they know themselves that they are wasting their time. So shame on the OP for bringing such piffle and fluff from Fox News. Let's break down what sort of mind-ops are going here and in true ATS fashion deny the ignorance of blind patriotism.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Soldiers can think for themselves but violating the rules has consequences. If you violate the rules at your job, you might get fired. If a soldier violates the rules they will go to jail or worse. Soldiers trust that the orders they are given are moral and just. If all soldiers questioned all orders, there would be no functioning army and nobody to protect you and I.

Yes I know, like I said they are slaves. If they want to leave people consider them cowards, some people I have talked to in this forum believe that any soldier who wants to leave are traitors, cowards and should be tracked down and killed, murdered!

So yes it is hard for them, and I do feel for those who have a clearer view of what they are in and want out. It's a shame that their friends or family would hate them for that thou. But they have signed a contract to be slaves, so they cant get out, without a lot of problems.

I know it sounds a bit too much, "slaves" but to me that's what it appears, except the goverment doesn't call soldiers slaves because it's too in your face.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Jedimiller. I don't care what the mods say on this one. You are a grade a jerk, man. Don't support the troops? Please post your address online. When the war happens, I will insure that we, (veterans and active duty) Do all we can to avoid protecting you and your family.

Rules are rules? I hope one day you need to bend a rule for your own sanity, and they drop a friggin block on you.

I labeled you a respected foe because IDIOT was not an option.

Edit to ask a mod to deduct 10 points from me. This is not the post I want to break 2000 with.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by jasonjnelson]

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller

Sure, real soldiers fight for freedom. do you think soldiers went to WWII because of the benefits? because they got 100K a year a car and a house? No. they went there for a real cause, to fight a real threat.

Do you think the civil war paid for their soldiers? no. soldiers that actually fought for this country did it for peace, freedom and true patriotism. Those soldiers I have admiration for. not today's type soldiers.

Here is where I need to step in and say "Deny Ignorance".

You are 100% incorrect soldiers of the Civil war were paid. Let me give you a link to all the pay scales so you understand history a bit and don't paint yourself into a corner.

www.civilwarhome.com...

And you post about rules are rules is utterly ridiculous, because exceptions are made every day, on every level of our society. It is about being reasonable and compasionate.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Its funny you guys get mad and wish death apon others and attack others . And you don't see why we cant support people like you .
Sieg heil

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
reply to post by jedimiller

Jedimiller. I don't care what the mods say on this one. You are a grade A jerk, man. Don't support the troops? Please post your address online. When the war happens, I will insure that we, (veterans and active duty) Do all we can to avoid protecting you and your family.

Rules are rules? I hope one day you need to bend a rule for your own sanity, and they drop a friggin block on you.

I labeled you a respected foe because IDIOT was not an option.

Edit to ask a mod to deduct 10 points from me. This is not the post I want to break 2000 with.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by jasonjnelson]

What war? What would he need protection from? enemy? what enemy?

Also why are you so suprised people don't want war?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy

WELL THEY VOLUNTEERED

I understand where you are coming from and you make some excellent points.

However, it still remains that there is too much "boo-hoo the poor soliders"

I don't think there's enough consideration for our soldiers. They seem to be forgotten.

and that we are not allowed to comment on the war once they are deployed,

That is a completely different subject. Frankly I believe we should bring them all home NOW and we should comment on the war so what is happened isn't lost upon the general public.

as doing so would not be "supporting the troops".

I support our troops 100000%
and am against the Iraq war 10000000000000%
I have no problems with these statements.

I'm all for supporting the troops in a just cause and honoring their commitment, but this is not a just cause and their commitment is being tarnished in the name of profit.

So the people that put them in that situation should not receive our support but those troops still should.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
rules are rules guys. No cellphones in class. Doesn't matter who it is. I think the school did the right thing. So the guy is in Iraq, who isn't? They could have emailed eachother. And why is the dad calling the kid in the middle of the night? shouldn't he be sleeping. I'm not a supporter of the war or the troops. So I don't feel for this story as others do.

I agree with you in the sense that I have very little sympathy for anyone who would willingly serve a corrupt system, whether that be through the military, police, political office, etc... but on the other hand, this kid didn't ask for his dad to go to Iraq. I don't think military families should be getting any special treatment but I do think suspension is far out of line in this case.

Your statement "rules are rules" is what really bothers me. The military twist to this story is just to reinforce the "support our troops" mentality. The real issue at hand is the fact that our kids are being trained to submit blindly to authority no matter what the circumstances...even if you just want to talk to your father whom you may have not spoken with in who knows how long.

And that, in the long run, is far scarier than any war going on today. When they've got us all completely programmed to their agenda, the military won't have any trouble recruiting more cannon fodder for their next conquest!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Reply to both of you.

I am a fun, relaxed guy, whom you would all probably like. The same probably goes for you. But when you start saying that our Marines and the rest are all part of a greater mechanism that is anti-general populace, I believe you are gone.....

I do not wish war on anyone. Nor harm, nor disease, nor pain. I am a christian, and this is against everything Christ teaches.
That said, I was merely pointing out that if you don't support the soldiers all the time, then you should not get theirs' when you need it either.

Hate the man that sent them to war, not those that are acting on orders, where 99.9% are doing their job honorably.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

1,300 Iraqi troops, police dismissed
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Even there own people are smartening up and not fighting . Whats wrong with our people ?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
Reply to both of you.

I am a fun, relaxed guy, whom you would all probably like. The same probably goes for you. But when you start saying that our Marines and the rest are all part of a greater mechanism that is anti-general populace, I believe you are gone.....

I do not wish war on anyone. Nor harm, nor disease, nor pain. I am a christian, and this is against everything Christ teaches.
That said, I was merely pointing out that if you don't support the soldiers all the time, then you should not get theirs' when you need it either.

Hate the man that sent them to war, not those that are acting on orders, where 99.9% are doing their job honorably.

VERY WELL SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big
RED
WHITE
and
BLUE
thumbs up

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
reply to post by jfj123

1,300 Iraqi troops, police dismissed
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Even there own people are smartening up and not fighting . Whats wrong with our people ?

Nothing is wrong with OUR people (aka the troops). It's the idiotic administration. Blame them for the problems, not the soldiers.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Are you implying that the troops are mindless drones that cant think for them selfs? I mean there IS a choice here ...

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join