It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Civil Rights Battle Will Be Over the Mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Clive Thompson on Why the Next Civil Rights Battle Will Be Over the Mind

www.wired.com...

Trolling down the street in Manhattan, I suddenly hear a woman's voice.

"Who's there? Who's there?" she whispers. I look around but can't figure out where it's coming from. It seems to emanate from inside my skull.

Was I going nuts? Nope. I had simply encountered a new advertising medium: hypersonic sound. It broadcasts audio in a focused beam, so that only a person standing directly in its path hears the message. In this case, the cable channel A&E was using the technology to promote a show about, naturally, the paranormal.

The good news is that scholars are holding conferences to hash out legal positions. But we'll need a broad public debate about it, too. Civil liberties thrive only when the public demands them — and understands they're at risk. That means we need to stop seeing this stuff as science fiction and start thinking about how we'll react to it. Otherwise, we could all lose our minds

Now it is interesting technology, but the author brings up good points. This is absolutely force feeding ad's down your throat. I don't like ads, I think they are too invasive as it is. I really don't like the idea of them being jammed into our heads weather we like it or not.

The more sinister applications of the technology is also worrisome.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Hmm...

Reminds me of that Futurama epi where Fry gets pissed that he had a dream about underwear and realized in the future they can beam commercials into your dream..

Interesting that.

www.tv.com...

The episode opens with Fry dreaming. His dream quickly turns into an underwear ad.

So the next day, he is talking with his friends who reveal that in the future they broadcast dreams through peoples dreams via gamma radiation. Inspired by these "dreams" they head off to the mall.

[edit on 4/8/2008 by ThichHeaded]

[edit on 4/8/2008 by ThichHeaded]

join