It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any one seen "The secret" or read the book?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hi all,

Hey great post, and I'll tell you why...

When I heard about the secret and its principles, it reminded me very much of a theory I had read about many years ago (NOT the Law of Attraction, but something along those lines).

I purchased both the Secret book and DVD when it was released and gave many copies of the book away as Christmas gifts to those I thought needed to read it.

Whilst the delivery of the message in the Secret DVD is a little hard to swallow and a little OTT (over the top), I must admit to you all, that I am a firm believer and follower of its basic principles!

Without visualisation, without believing, without expecting, how on earth do you expect to achieve whatever it is that you want to achieve??????

To all those who laugh at the concept, thats fine! We are all entitled to our own personal opinions, however, take it from someone who has had a pretty rough start in life to now having a life that most people would envy - I say it again - I totally endorse those principles. I practice gratitude everyday - and - everyday I am blessed with more exciting opportunities/windfalls/rewards/offers!

I consider myself living, walking proof!!

So, to those of you that are thinking what total crap this is and whining about all that is going wrong in your life, why don't you get out of your own head and focus on turning your thoughts around! I dare you! And then tell me what happens!

But don't fool yourself, at first this is really, really hard and you much watch your thoughts and not allow yourself spiral back into negativity.

And, Dirtonwater, there is work involved, if you have watched the secret, you will know that a person must "act" when the opportunity presents itself! The secret won't work if you just sit on your butt all the time!! LOL

Kindest regards to all!

Dobbie

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
I have the DVD, someone gave it to me after seeing it on Oprah. (My Mom:@@

I just didn't need to spend $49.95 to hear about it.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think that positive thinking can only work to a certain extent. If you observe the laws of nature there always has to be balance. If everyone was to start thinking positively as a result all in the world was good. Don’t you think nature would then take over make a correction? That would be catastrophic!! To me it seems a bit dangerous.

Peace,
Trustnobody

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by trustnobody

Yes, but if you look at humans on this planet - where is the balance???

When you look at the percentage of humans who are suffering, versus those who aren't - there is no balance at all! Look at the spead of global wealth - where is the balance there?

Nature does display some sense of balance, yes (winter/summer; day/night that sort of thing), but if you look at the total land area of our planet versus arable land that can be used for habitation - there is no balance there either.

So, why can't good fortune be balanced? Why can't everybody have an equal opportunity to be happy? That to me, is balanced.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I felt that the Conversations with god books succeeded where 'the secret' failed.

The secret deals with material pleasures, and our ability to manifest them in our reality through changing belief and mindset. I am not sure it deals with this aspect accurately though.
I also agree that it was overdone to a large extent. Perhaps the marketing boys had their way with this one.

CWG goes further and makes the point that pursuit of material pleasure is not the end goal, but rather a necessary step in the right direction. Material senses should be indulged, but then one must move beyond that.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
A good friend, who has a bookstore, lend me the book. I read the first 10 pages then I got bored. It speaks about the same and the same and the same. And then I thought. Do I now it from somewhere? Yes, Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist. It says the exact same think but in a much better shape and form "When a person really desires something, all the universe
conspires to help that person realize their dream" or so.
So why bother get a boring book when you could read a darn fine "best seller"?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Bagel

I maybe a bit out of my element here because I haven’t read the secret, or conversations with god. However I agree that there is way too much emphasis on the material as being the road to happiness. All humans really need are food, air, and a tree to stand under when it rains. Anything else is plus in my book. We are like spoiled brats pretending to be gods ourselves. Whatever happened to being happy some food, someone to love, and a dry place to sleep? Being grateful for the small things in life is much more rewarding than a fancy car, or big house.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by the basset hound

Yes, I have read the book and have viewed the dvd. It was a needed at this time to help awaken people to their true nature and potential, individually and collectively. However, these ideas have been around a long time with many books written about it and plenty of free info available on the internet, Kudos to the dvd creators for their blend of capitalism and education.

I have studied and lived both western and eastern religions and philosophies. The truth, the real secret, lies in the fusion of both. I would recommend, " Conversations with God, Vol 1 " by Walsch. He captures it all IMHO.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
im not sure about thoughts per se being the important focus. i would say at some point you need to do some action. im not exactly saying you need to work 80 hours a week but being that we do live in the material world you need to start the ball rolling. just getting of of your butt and doing the things you want is part of it. who knows, maybe even telling a friend a desire would have someone else fulfill it for you.

but there does seem to be some confusion here is to how people are looking at materialism. matter is matter. it's our perception of it that can get us into trouble( unless a huge chunk of it falls on your head of course
although that still doesnt it make it "evil"). its the desire for material goods that can cause distress. not to mention once you acquire these things it becomes the fear of losing it.

you need to ask yourself is "why do i want this?" and " will this thing really bring my the feelings i want?"no one NEEDS these material goods to enjoy their life. but after all that if you still feel like this is your path just remember these two cliches, " the grass is always greener" and "be careful what you wish for".

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by the basset hound

In the mess we seem to have lost our selves and i will search for new ground. If you just take a peek at what Rohnda Byrne based her movie upon you will find GOD yelling at you loud and clear "It is the desire of god that you become rich! He wants you to get rich because he can express himself better though you if you have plenty of things to use in giving him expression. He can live more in you if you have unlimited command of the means of life." "You must want real life not mere pleasure of sensual grattification." "You want to get rich in order that you may eat drink and be merry ;when it comes time, surround your self with beautiful things, see distant lands, feed your mind, develope your inlelect; in order that you may love men and do kind things, and play a good part to help the world find truth."-W.D. Wattles
Not much is known about this man but he did writh the book that made the movie millions. So yes there are missing pieces to the movie I do believe that she should have put more god into it.

Hmm - Let me think about this for a sec - NOT - Yeah, tell that to the Monks that have been living in the monasteries for, Oh, I don't know 100+ years or so - Your idea of RICH is materialistic in nature which is your belief and you have bought (literally) into it,,,,Your marketing scheme isn't working - You need to be RICH in Mind, Body and Soul - Wisdom is the true richness - what follows comes from this (as well as you actually working hard for your keep and not trying to sell snake oil to the masses).

Not saying "the Secret" isn't a feel good, getcha movin type of uplifting, but the content is, well, excuse me, cough,cough "Total BS" unBelievable Substance!!

Yeah, I have the Audio Version in it's entirety Listen to it 4 times and actually tried to place some of it in my daily life but never once did I get anything from it.. I only lost my hard earned money, boo hoo on me.. I am an open minded individual and I'll try anything once but I'll FLAME You as well if it turns out to be crap.... By the way I did get my money back from the CD’s

Just like the evangelical priests who fly around in their Million Dollar plane that when they land hop into their BMW with driven Chauffeur... It's all about GREED on the back end of the message.... Let me speak a sermon asking for cash in a round about way – then have my staff bring the basket around that has a new “Blue Tooth Credit Card reader” in it so if I don’t have cash I can give by plastic - That is the truth and JC was no where near that thought process – We should be peacefully bringing everyone together NOT bring everyone together and steal what they have (some people take it all and don’t look back) and ask for more..

my .02

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dobbie
Hi all,

Hey great post, and I'll tell you why...

When I heard about the secret and its principles, it reminded me very much of a theory I had read about many years ago (NOT the Law of Attraction, but something along those lines).

I purchased both the Secret book and DVD when it was released and gave many copies of the book away as Christmas gifts to those I thought needed to read it.

Whilst the delivery of the message in the Secret DVD is a little hard to swallow and a little OTT (over the top), I must admit to you all, that I am a firm believer and follower of its basic principles!

Without visualisation, without believing, without expecting, how on earth do you expect to achieve whatever it is that you want to achieve??????

To all those who laugh at the concept, thats fine! We are all entitled to our own personal opinions, however, take it from someone who has had a pretty rough start in life to now having a life that most people would envy - I say it again - I totally endorse those principles. I practice gratitude everyday - and - everyday I am blessed with more exciting opportunities/windfalls/rewards/offers!

I consider myself living, walking proof!!

So, to those of you that are thinking what total crap this is and whining about all that is going wrong in your life, why don't you get out of your own head and focus on turning your thoughts around! I dare you! And then tell me what happens!

But don't fool yourself, at first this is really, really hard and you much watch your thoughts and not allow yourself spiral back into negativity.

And, Dirtonwater, there is work involved, if you have watched the secret, you will know that a person must "act" when the opportunity presents itself! The secret won't work if you just sit on your butt all the time!! LOL

Kindest regards to all!

Dobbie

Not really wanting to be an a** here but all you have stated is that you needed someone else to get you off your BUTT, out of the house and actually work hard for what you have.....

If You NEED to have someone come by and slap you into reality I'll come by and do it for free - No need to pay someone to come into your home make you run in circles thinking your going to get all this "material" stuff that just so happend to seemingly come your way... No - it only gave you juice & advice on how to get out and DO WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN WANTING TO DO YOURSELF.. (if) you have friends and family around you then they have been probibly telling you the same thing - You just were not hearing them.... It goes something like the below..........

Family/Friends = Tell you to get off Your A** and get a job
The Secret = the secret to unlimited happiness

the secret to unlimited happiness = Get off Your A** and get a job then you can pay your bills, eat out at nice places, be able to go where you want to, take your significant other out or plan/go on a vacation

Edited for (sp)

[edit on 4-4-2008 by hdchop]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Ok, some direct questions for you Basset...

1) What (if any) religion and/or organisations are you/the people behind "The Secret" affiliated with?

2) Why such a focus on material possesions/goals throughout the dvd?

3) If there is a religious "backing" of The Secret, why not make it plain on the dvd/promotional material.

4) Will there be a sequel?

5) Why was there no one involved/shown, that are commonly accepted or recognised as succesful involved? Was anyone approached, Bill Gates, Richard Branson etc?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I don't know anything about "the secret" but I can tell you that since I hit my 20's I started to set my sights on different things. So far everything I've "set my sights on" I've gotten. However, I followed thru with a plan of action to achieve these goals. Once you go forward on a plan it's not all that difficult for your goals to come to fruition.

I am also a Christian and my teaching tells me that God has no problem with you getting ahead in life. It's when you put someone or something above Him that it becomes a problem. In other words, wherever your focus lies is where your God is. If you spend more time detailing your car than you do on your Faith then your car is your God.

Furthermore, being rich is a great way to give. Too bad that most rich people concern themselves with getting richer. Someday very soon I will attain my goal of becoming a multimillionaire. I will then make wise investments and spend the rest of my life helping others and giving money away.

As for the question of when is the last time a prayer was answered? Mine are answered all the time.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jbondo

It has been my experience that the major life changing events that happen are the one that are totally out of my control. Love ones passing away, House burning down, cheating wife, IRS, loss of a job etc...

They have had nothing to do with any of my actions or thoughts. Its just life, and most of it is un-avoidable.

I have to ask is what have I learned? It is all about living life the best we can. There is no secret.

Peace
Trustnobody

[edit on 4-4-2008 by trustnobody]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I only know this: Mt 19:21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

How does this fit with materialism and the greed for goods and money?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by the basset hound
Most, some, or none of you have seen the secret or read it for that matter it is a movie that tells you the true teachings of Christ without having even mentioned his name if anyone has seen it please tell me your thoughts and questions as I am a scholar of it. I would be MORE than happy to debate it and answer any questions. Thank you.

[edit on 3-4-2008 by the basset hound]

Christ never exist so... therefore how can you even say that he could of be teaching anything? He was just a metaphorical icon created by people who wished to keep people under them as a source of power.

Where's Jesus? I don't see him.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I've seen the movie....It's not religious nor is it spiritual..It's about the Law of Attraction, and basically all it tells you is....What goes around comes around. It's no secret, just common sense.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Whatever happened to simply talking with Jesus through prayer? Stumpy's personal opinion of the bible is only his opinion even though he states it as fact. I find that you need Jesus and even though he may or may not grant you of this worldly desires, he still is going to put you in the right place to serve your purpose or where he wants you to be. Unless, you do not serve Christ which is the reason that he have you free will. But if you have turned yourself over to the Lord then he will place you where you ought to be. One does not earn their way into heaven or for anything else of this world. One either follows their faith or disregards their own faith and believes in some other theory and not the truth. A supreme being or a grand architect is a fine example of a theory or an ideal.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
There's nothing secret about "the secret".

This has been around for a long time- with different names. Its just like Quantum Praying, etc, etc.

I beleive in it, but i dont like it continuously coming out with different names. Its all the same.

BTW, it does work- but it aint no secret.

[edit on 4-4-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
but it aint no secret.

I can certainly agree with you there.

Simple and to the point! *Star*

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join