It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

April fool's Amero "joke"... Localized humor or desensitization?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This has been bothering me all day, so I have to ask...

This morning at about 0700 I jumped out of bed. RJ Harris, the local morning talk announcer on talk radio 580AM in Harrisburg, PA dropped the bomb.

"The Amero will be the new currency of the US, Mexico, and Canada." he stated. He further explained that the change was announced overnight, after the 2300 news reports last night.

I called my mom immediately to say "I told you so", and she told me it must be an April fool's joke. As it turns out, she seems to be correct.

I wonder then... Why would RJ pick the Amero? He seems to usually be a relatively benign and objectve host. He has been very non-partisan in fact.

Is this disinfo?

Did anybody else hear it?

Did it happen anywhere else in the US?

Thanks for your attention.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hey, at least you didn't get Rickrolled today!
Betamax to HD - Thinkgeek

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jeppman

I give up... ya lost me here.

Seriously... Did anybody else hear anything even remotely similar on their local radio? I just wonder why he chose this topic!

A lot of people called in- they said the phone lines were jammed. What shocked me the most was that people were for the most part all for the change! I hope the NWO wasn't listening this morning.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If this is true then when I got gas this afternoon at the Turkey Hill, they gave me the wrong change. All of the research I did a while ago, the Amero is BS. For now at least.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bobafett1972

Ha HA! You gave up your location with the "turkey hill"!!! We like to call it "chicken bump" here. I digress.

Did you hear RJ say this at the crack of dawn? My wife said that she heard that he's in a bit of hot water at the station, she works next door, but no way to verify this.

I wish I would have recorded it, but it really threw me for a loop that early (I work nights), and I was groggy. Too bad WHP does not have an archive that I can find...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I have no idea how true it is but people are selling amero coins on ebay.

just click on US coins and currency, then type in "AMERO" into the search function.

The 100amero coins are supposed to be solid silver, and are starting out at $62.00

But who knows if they are privately minted, or by the fed.

hope this helps.

Later,...... Ausable_Bill

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I have been second guessing lots of news today. It would be a great day for companies to release bad news, since everyone is second guessing everything.

for example, apparently Microsoft just passed a new language to a standard today, which I am hoping is april fools. Also reading articles on consumerist praising Best Buy.

My head is going to explode, I can't wait for this day of lies and deceit to be over! Ohh, you tricked me into clicking a link I didn't intend to click on. How clever, and funny...

i agree the amero joke was bad taste, but even funnier when it becomes a reality, and everyone that joked about it feels like idiots. But we'll still be in the same boat, so it would be a bittersweet revenge.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Another little tidbit I remember now... Many of the callers that were in favor of the Amero felt that the Dollar's decline could be completely wiped out by changing the currency. Are people really that ignorant?

There were also folks that were all for doing away with "paper money". They wanted it all on plastic, or some other personal debit system.

Looks like I live on one giant sheeple ranch.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I was thinking April fool's jokes like that could be used for predictive programming, although I'm not sure about it.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I wonder then... Why would RJ pick the Amero? He seems to usually be a relatively benign and objectve host. He has been very non-partisan in fact.

He likely watched a Lou Dobbs show or caught wind of it somehow and thought it would be funny to use as a hoax because some would find it very interesting.

April Fools is like the best day in the world for guerrilla ontology.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Unfortunately (in Canada, where I live) There are only a few radio stations, most of which only play the top 40. I wish I could have heard it.... My father is the ONLY other person i have ever heard use the phrase "AMERO" ....the first time i heard it, was a couple of years ago...Its interesting that someone else has coined the term....

Up here I haven't heard anything about it coming in, so it might have been an April Fools thing. I'm sure that it would be all over the news if it were the case....

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
While i certainly agree they could be testing the waters with it to see how it would go over with the majority of the population i get the feeling it really was just a simple joke and a personal test to see if people would accept it

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
FWIW, the Amero gets a mention in the movie Zeitgeist outlining it's introduction for the US, Canada and Mexico. It then goes on to speculate the introduction of a similar African and Asian dollar.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Seems more like a concept born out of fiction to me. plus ive reason to believe the elites plan to crash the american economy altogether at some point in time so why circulate currency for a country that may be completely destroyed in the near future?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Without being an advocate of the premise, I will attempt to explain it further. Watch the movie for a better understanding.

The business of changing currency is a profitable one for the people in charge of printing the currency. Firstly there is the associated production costs and secondly, the money is loaned to the government/public, creating debt. Making more money incurs more national debt.
Currency is just like any other commodity, subject to the laws of supply and demand. The more currency there is in circulation, the lower the value of the currency, and vica versa. Therefore, whoever controls the supply of currency also controls it's value. Thirdly, the value of a currency has a direct impact on inflation and interest rates, which in turn have a direct effect on levels of debt. Ultimately, one can control the national level of debt by controlling the supply of currency.

Assuming for a moment the above is accurate, creating 4 multi-national economies (Euro, Amero, Afro? Asio?) would essentially streamline the whole process, with a side profit from printing the new currencies for these economies. It would also be the next logical step toward a single gobal economy and central bank and make the final transition relatively smooth, would it not?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Or it could have JUST been an April fools prank.

As to where Amero came from, think about it for a bit.

European .... Euro

American .... Amero

You do the math.

top topics

join