It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End Of Class Action Lawsuits?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

The End Of Class Action Lawsuits?

redtape.msnbc.com

Can companies grant themselves a "get out of jail free" card when you sign their contracts? A lawsuit filed in Seattle against AT&T/Cingular may settle that question.

The nonprofit public advocacy group Public Justice is asking a federal court to set aside a provision in old AT&T wireless contracts that prevents consumers from banding together and filing class action lawsuits against the company. The future of class-action lawsuits might be at stake.

Staff Edit - Removed All Caps

[edit on 1-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Can AT&T do this? I think this is terrible, class action lawsuits are a way for the little guys to band together to fight giant corporations such as AT&T when they have been wronged. Individually its worthless to go after a big corporation because you will not be properly compensated. So is this AT&T's "get out of jail free card"? I hope not. What do you think?

redtape.msnbc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Staff Edit - Fixed All Caps

[edit on 1-4-2008 by schism85]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Theres a away around this..

3000 people go under 1 person and in the end those 3000 people still win.. enough said..

Or like an invention idea.. get backers to back you financially and you are set.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by schism85

well, look at what richard "dickie" scruggs put into his back pocket while the plaintiff's got pennies.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Class Action Lawsuits typically only benefit the attorneys. I have been a party to a class action lawsuit against a large telecom company. The company paid something like 600 million dollars in a settlement. The attorneys took home 200 million dollars as their fee. All of the aggrieved customers like me got a free calling card worth 60 minutes of long distance calling. It was a joke.

top topics

join