It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine threw himself onto grenade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Marine threw himself onto grenade

news.bbc.co.uk

A Royal Marine who threw himself onto an exploding grenade to save the lives of his patrol has been put forward for the UK's highest military honour.

Lance Corporal Matt Croucher, 24, a reservist from Birmingham, survived because his rucksack and body armour took the force of the blast.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This is truly out of the ordinary, finally something really positive about the war we can grasp at. This man is a hero, with no thought of himself, just that of his team, he threw himself upon a grenade. Thankfully he survived relatively unscathed.

I only thought this kind of thing happens in the movies.

Real Heroes do exist.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I can tell you from seeing live fire grenade training in the military that you have to be brave or crazy to throw yourself on a grenade. They are wicked loud and violent. I wouldn't even trust body armor to maybe help me.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I highly doubt anyone, especially this brave marine expected to live through that. I say, give that man his Victoria Cross. He clearly deserves it. It's good to know that there's still some real heroes around.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

There are several body armor vests out there that can withstand the blast of a grenade at point blank range. Still, it is extremely dangerous and usually fatal and it in no way dilutes the bravery of this man's actions.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
yes, what a brave human. this story reminds me of the US navy SEAL who did the same thing, unfortunately he didnt survive.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Lol sorry to play devils advocate . But with all the lies these days . I bet 10/1 he was pushed..

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
This is truly amazing and not just because he lived! It was a huge act of selflessness, he deserves the highest medal thats available to him, Im sure hes just as surprised as anyone else. Can you imagine what was going his mind when he did this? To know in your mind that you ARE about to die and then walk away from it.. Very brave person.
Old world, I read the same article about the SEAL and was mentioning it on the other thread that was closed
The ending didnt turn out to be as happy though, he did save his comrades but he paid the ultimate price.

Fox

SAN DIEGO — To his Navy SEAL buddies, Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor will always be known as "Mikey," a fun-loving 25-year-old guy who had "a little mischievous look on his face."

It's a face they'll never forget.

On Sept. 29, 2006, while on a mission in Ramadi, Iraq, Monsoor and other members of a Navy SEAL sniper team were within a moment of death. An insurgent had tossed a grenade into their hideout, hitting Monsoor in the chest before bouncing to the floor.

In an instant, Monsoor was on the grenade, using his body to shield his comrades from the blast.

"He never took his eye off the grenade, his only movement was down toward it," said a lieutenant who sustained shrapnel wounds to both legs that day. "H

Braver man than I

[edit on 4/2/2008 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR
Lol sorry to play devils advocate . But with all the lies these days . I bet 10/1 he was pushed..

He certainly wasnt pushed. He realised he had kicked a tripwire and dived down...he saw the grenade rolling towards him and his patrol so rolled over onto it with his pack. his own words were that it was his fault, he hit the tripwire and he thought it was up to him to try and protect his mates. He also admitted he fully expected to lose limbs and his back pack was shredded. Pictures were in this weekends press.

Very very brave lad and deserves the VC for his actions.

new topics

top topics

join