It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pumping gas. A new fraud?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Ok here it goes. Just listen to what im about to say and at the end ill explain myself. In the summer my 98 Monte Carlo gets 22mpg. In the winter it gets 18. Now I have a lead foot, so I tend to drive and excel fast. Anyways. Its starting to get nice out, so my car doesnt use as much gas and I dont need to warm it up. This past week I has 17 mpg, so I thought I should start slowing it down. For 1 week I took it easy and yesterday ended with only 15mpg. Now I know for a fact my car gets more than that, so im starting to believe they are lying about how much is actually getting pumped into my car. It says 11 gallons, but I think I should of only used about 9. Do you think it could be possible the government is taking even more money out and using it for something?

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
As a car gets older, it gets less efficient.

Or perhaps your driving habits have changed. When you change slowly, you might not even know you are doing it.

Or maybe it is bigfoot in your trunk weighing you down, we can never be totally certain.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowwolf47
As a car gets older, it gets less efficient.

Or perhaps your driving habits have changed. When you change slowly, you might not even know you are doing it.

Or maybe it is bigfoot in your trunk weighing you down, we can never be totally certain.

No you dont get it. I get 18mpg in the WINTER and always hit 4.5k rpm from a stop. Now I get even less when its nicer out and NEVER go over 3k rpm. More rpm pretty much means the more gas you use, which is why you can always get better highway mpg. That leads me to another thing, because I always drive the same roads and all. I just changed my oil and got a new air filter. The cars has run smoothly for so long now. I checked for any leaks and found none.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Here's a thought: Are you using the crappy new bio-fuel?

Ethanol burns up a lot faster then petrol.

I was looking at buying a Tahoe a couple weeks ago. According to chevy the Tahoe gets 15-20mpg. Unless you use ethanol, then it gets 11-15mpg.

I read that juicy tidbit in one of their books at the dealership. I'll try to find it online.

The salesman tried to make a big deal about the ethanol and how "green" the truck was. I looked at him like he was nuts. How is it better for the environment to pay 20 extra cents per gallon and have to use half again as much fuel as you would without it?

Whatta bunch of stooges...

Anyways, I think this is a more likely scenario but who am I, right?

[edit on 28-3-2008 by Gatordone]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I've wondered that for some time - are they changing the gas mixture to accomodate the newer "more efficient" engines?

I mean, they could certainly go about doing something like that and just "neglect" to inform the public under the assumption that we're all driving ahead into the future with those brand new, "state of the art" cars.

I suppose it's a possibility.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gatordone
Here's a thought: Are you using the crappy new bio-fuel?

Ethanol burns up a lot faster then petrol.

I was looking at buying a Tahoe a couple weeks ago. According to chevy the Tahoe gets 15-20mpg. Unless you use ethanol, then it gets 11-15mpg.

I read that juicy tidbit in one of their books at the dealership. I'll try to find it online.

The salesman tried to make a big deal about the ethanol and how "green" the truck was. I looked at him like he was nuts. How is it better for the environment to pay 20 extra cents per gallon and have to use half again as much fuel as you would without it?

Whatta bunch of stooges...

Anyways, I think this is a more likely scenario but who am I, right?

I just use regular unleaded gas. Maybe they just had a bad mixture of ethanol? We were talking in chemistry about how adding oxygen and different blends of petroleum can change the amount your able to burn.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
If you're using E85 that's the problem:

www.gm.com...(R).pdf

The chart on the right shows the MPG gas vs E85...If I got it to work this time.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonm56

Ethanol is much less efficient than pure gasoline. Here is a link that states the efficiency reduction is anywhere from 15% to 28%, depending upon what "expert" you believe.
I can tell you that my car saw a drop from 30mpg with unleaded gasoline to 27 mpg with the 10% ethanol mixture. It was an instant drop, when our state mandated that all gasoline contain at least 10% ethanol.
Therefore, the suggestion to use unleaded gasoline is not possible in many states.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
My parents cars started out getting awesome gas mileage. We had an 87 200SX and an 89 Corolla SR5. By the time they had finally gotten to the point where we were facing constant repairs their gas mileage had dropped considerably. We drove them exactly the same way, but the mileage was just gone. As the engine wears down it doesn't run as efficiently, even if you drive it just like you always have. About the only option is to tear it down and rebuild it. Seals break down, injectors and carbs clog, etc. It's normal wear and tear.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Go back to the place and ask the manager when the last time

the pumps were "calibrated". If its been awhile, 00000ps, there's your most likely problem. You were scammed, maybe intentional, maybe not.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well I have always used the same gas. I dont see why they would do that. Also, my car is and has been running fine. No engine disfunctions or any lights coming on. I also checked my tire pressure as I heard they can make you lose 10% efficiency and they were fine. I guess this thread is too personal. I was hoping somebody else might of thought about if they are messing with our gas, too.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

In Maine, gas pumps have a silver sticker on them that shows the last time they were checked for accuracy.

It sounds like you may have a bad O2 sensor. Have you car checked with a scan tool, that will tell you.

[edit on 3/28/2008 by dirigo]

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
^ So call them up and ask them if they have their pumps calibrated, how often and tell them if they want your business to bring someone out to do it.
I hate to sound like a know it all, but i know about these things.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonm56

There is no way to tell if you have internal engine problems until it's too late. You could have any number of minor issues occuring due to age causing a loss of fuel mileage. A 1998 car is going to have a ton of little things going on that can cause you to lose mileage.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
^ So call them up and ask them if they have their pumps calibrated, how often and tell them if they want your business to bring someone out to do it.
I hate to sound like a know it all, but i know about these things.

I might just leave and never go there again. Im not going to even bother calling as its probably the contents of their gas. Next time I get gas and its where it should be(20ish) then ill start to investigate. As for now, im just going to not even bother.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Vehicles do burn more fuel in the winter. It takes a little longer for the engine to get to normal running temp. Fuel injectors are wide open at this time. But it could be alot of different things. Clogged fuel filter or injectors and maybe a tuneup.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Now I am not a fuel-o-logist but I always thought that there were different mixtures for different seasons. Now I am not talking about biofuel at all.
Just regular old gasoline. Something about companies having to make different fuels based on the season, mainly just summer and winter. Just my 2.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
In Michigan, we also have stickers that state the last date of inspection by the Wieghts and Measures Dept. If you think your not getting the gas you pay for, you wont be able to deduce this from your cars gas milage. ( as that can change based on things as simple as the current weather ) Next time bring a 5 gallon gas can, buy 5 gallons and see if it makes it to the mark. (Most fuel containers have the FULL mark to make exact measurements) If it doesnt add up, call a local news station with your evidence.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Logan
Vehicles do burn more fuel in the winter. It takes a little longer for the engine to get to normal running temp. Fuel injectors are wide open at this time. But it could be alot of different things. Clogged fuel filter or injectors and maybe a tuneup.

I know thats why im questioning why im getting less even when im not gunning it all the time. I also added the STP Oil and Gas additives once I noticed that I was getting lower mpg. Anyways, I hope somebody can at least agree with me on this conspiracy seeing that this thread turned into a more of a car thread.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital Deviance

Exactly- that is who comes out and makes sure the pumps are functioning properly.
I like your idea of the 5 gallon test.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join