It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asked about Two-Thirds of Americans Opposition to War, Cheney says 'So?'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

ABC is also sticking to the "So?" comment:

RADDATZ: Let me go back to the Americans. Two-thirds of Americans say it's not worth fighting, and they're looking at the value gain versus the cost in American lives, certainly, and Iraqi lives.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: So?

RADDATZ: So -- you don't care what the American people think?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: No, I think you cannot be blown off course by the fluctuations in the public opinion polls. Think about what would have happened if Abraham Lincoln had paid attention to polls, if they had had polls during the Civil War. He never would have succeeded if he hadn't had a clear objective, a vision for where he wanted to go, and he was willing to withstand the slings and arrows of the political wars in order to get there. And this President has been very courageous, very consistent, very determined to continue down the course we were on and to achieve our objective. And that's victory in Iraq, that's the establishment of a democracy where there's never been a democracy, it's the establishment of a regime that respects the rights and liberties of their people, as an ally for the United States in the war against terror, and as a positive force for change in the Middle East. That's a huge accomplishment.
ABCNews | FULL INTERVIEW: Vice President Dick Cheney (page three)

And a link to the White House transcript:

The White House | Interview of the Vice President by Martha Raddatz, ABC News

For a moment there, I thought we had another cover-up in the works, but the two transcripts agree: he said "So?"

Wait a minute, is anyone else offended by this blowhard comparing the chickenhawk Chimp-in-Chief to Abe Lincoln?!

The whirring just got louder.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I say bollocks to that. Are you going to trust an established, respected news org like ABC or are you going to take the word of some white house press corps yes man?

They are doing damage control so that Dick's real first response doesn't make him out to appear to be what his first name implies (and what he actually IS)

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

That's the version as put forth by The Raw Story, but it doesn't appear to jibe with both of the official accounts.

Which begs the question; why is that?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It's not for me to judge the Bush administration, but it's hardly surprising that most US citizens are against the invasion of Iraq.

The CIA have openly admitted that Al Qaeda is a total fabrication. polidics.com...

A prominent Iraqi defector has openly admitted that he lied about WMD in his own country in order to incite the invasion and destroy Saddam Hussein's regime. www.guardian.co.uk...

A respected US investigator insisted that his reports of uranium imports from Niger had been entirely twisted and misrepresented in evidence to support the existence of WMD in Iraq. Then his wife was exposed as a CIA operative after he tried to stand his ground. www.nytimes.com...

..etc etc

It was all a fabrication. It was all about controlling the price of oil..!! Nothing more.

No doubt, dreamed up over a few Long Island Iced Teas at Bohemian Grove www.sonomacountyfreepress.com...

[edit on 19/3/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

I say bollocks to that. Are you going to trust an established, respected news org like ABC or are you going to take the word of some white house press corps yes man?

They are doing damage control so that Dick's real first response doesn't make him out to appear to be what his first name implies (and what he actually IS)

It wasnt my intention to say that The White House is telling the truth. It wasnt my intention to say that ABC is telling the truth either.It was my intention to say simply that it is not right to make a verdict after hearing just one side of the arguement.

As I stated in my previous post, I oppose the actions of the Bush admin. I think it is unwise though to turn this in to a witch hunt, so to speak. I believe strongly in the United States Constitution and I believe strongly that even the most disgusting of criminals are innocent untill proven guilty.

The point I tried to make in my previous post is not whether Dick Cheney is right or wrong, but that we MUST remained open minded and truly listen to both sides of the story before we decide who to hang. Dont get me wrong , I am not trying to justify anything that Dick Cheney or George Bush has done.
I am merely stating, that as a proud American citizen,I feel it is the right thing to do to listen to both sides of the story. If we only listen to one side we may NEVER learn the truth.

It is unwise to simply accept one side of the story as truth and completly dismiss the other side of the story. If you do you will no doubt miss a whole lot of important information.

My goal was to attempt to keep the thread fair and unbiased. I may have failed with that goal, but I believe none the less it was a damn good goal.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If any of you cared to read the actual article as I didn't care to read every post of this thread (so sorry if it's been said already) Cheney didn't say "so".

"So" maybe I'll look like an idiot, and maybe not.
And if he really did say "so"... well, regardless of what he said I didn't like him to begin with.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal
If any of you cared to read the actual article as I didn't care to read every post of this thread (so sorry if it's been said already) Cheney didn't say "so".

"So" maybe I'll look like an idiot, and maybe not.
And if he really did say "so"... well, regardless of what he said I didn't like him to begin with.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

Actually...he did. I heard the words come out of his mouth in the video in the original article.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by Double Eights]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Just watched the video of the interview. He did.. then he began to 'back pedal' very quickly.. like you just did

[edit on 19/3/08 by Myrdyn]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrdyn

How relevant is the opinion of someone who can't even take the time to read the entire thread before posting?

No offense intended towards the guilty parties, but give a thought to the concept, eh?

At any rate, IMHO, the article in The Raw Story is flawed since it doesn't recount the same events as presented in the actual transcripts released by both ABC News and the White House.

Neither of which should be considered bastions of truth by any means, again, IMHO.

Personally, I find the backpedaling in The Raw Story article to be a topic of concern.

But nevertheless, the transcripts agree; Cheney said "So?"

And for those who can't bother to read the entire thread, (
) I'll list the links to the original transcripts one more time:

ABCNews | FULL INTERVIEW: Vice President Dick Cheney

The White House | Interview of the Vice President by Martha Raddatz, ABC News

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Okay, okay... *hangs head and bends over*

Only the right one okay? It's sturdy and I jump with my right leg. *braces for impact*

( I still don't like the administration. Yes I should have read the entire post but at the time I was in a rush to get away from the computer, spank away. )

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

The White House later released a transcript which shows that Cheney's first response wasn't "so" as ABC presented on its broadcast.

When first informed by Raddatz that "two-thirds of Americans say [the Iraq war] was not worth fighting," the vice president responded, "They ought to go spend time, like you and I have, Martha. You know what's been happening in Iraq. You've been there as much as anybody. There has, in fact, been fundamental change and transformation, and improvement for the better. I think even you would admit that."

Sooooooooo.... This is what really happened. Great thread title though. Thats how you bring 'em in!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I just have one thing to say to Mr Cheney..

You truly are a devil to some, matter of fact you tell Americans what you say and go only by what you want as some kind of king of the people. You will be brought low, very low someday, may you fall greater than anyone has ever fallen, your evil lies become shame, i pray that you loose any power that prevents you from causing destruction, may there be great misfortune for Mr. Dick Cheney. So mote it be, ALL ELSE "SAY LET IT BE SO". AMEN - In the name of all the EARTH and the souls that have died from your orders.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by ItsFrickenAndrew]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelsonSooooooooo.... This is what really happened. Great thread title though. Thats how you bring 'em in!

I don't care when he said "so." If he replied with "So?" to a statement regarding 2/3 of the AMERICAN POPULACE opposing the Iraq War, he should be impeached.

This is our country, not his. You never say "who gives a flying #" when your EMPLOYER tells you they disaprove of what you're doing.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by Double Eights]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Just to play Devil's Advocate, did anybody read the White House transcript? I don't think he's saying "so?" to the 2/3's issue. I think he's asking "so?" what's the point of your question.

And as far as the poll goes, it's 2/3d of the people asked. I wasn't asked.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Thats because they dont serve you, they serve their own class interests as has always been the case. Their rhetoric always differs from the actions they take and the policies they impliment. Its not so hard to believe they serve themselves over their consituents

True..........SO

Sorry but I had to say it! It doesn't matter anymore that people know. Nothing is going to be done to stop it or change it. They don't care what we think about it either- and they don't care about the press anymore- bad publicity, good publicity- they don't even use their spin teams anymore!

I am surprised Dick Cheney has not come out and said- Yeah- we did 9/11- so what- what in the hell are you insignificant morons gonna do about it?

Even that would do nothing! Seriously- no reason to get upset about it- when there is nothing one can anyway.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
"So?" This souless being doesn't care about what the American people think. The chickehawk who had 5 deferrments in between his dui's in Wyoming can't let the will of the people interfere with his gradual destruction of us all.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
He said "SO" you can see it in the video if you take the time to watch it - Geez!

Now, of course the video was doctored and fabricated, and he probably wasn't even there and this is all some elaborate hoax to show Cheney as a "Dick"

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I heard a speech earlier today to the religious right given by Bush , he was expounding on his 'support' for the second amendment and his threat to veto any 'fairness' act type bill that should come across his desk.

Since when did Bush give a damned about our constitution? I mean he talks out of one side of his mouth and does another.

I don't know who makes me sicker, Bush, or the people who still believe the token bones he throws them.

As for Cheney, his time is limited and God is in control. As for the latter, I think Dick is a little confused as to what side he is really on, oh well, such is history. People like Dick are like the parasites that are necessary to devour the dying then later die themselves and unfortunately, this now sin infested nation we call America will experience more 'people' like Dick coming into power after he leaves so fasten your seat belts, it's going to be one hell of a bumpy ride.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by ViewFromTheStars]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf

Originally posted by Harlequin
The Next US President has allready been decided - now just wait for teh circus of so called democracy to pull into town but the winner allready knows.

That quite the jaded, although acurate, perspective. Do you feel the rest of the American public, or rather, a fair portion of the American public, feels the same way?

How could the average American not feel that way? I mean look at these guy attitudes about everything and look at the recent Fed bailout of fellow billionaires, being led into the war on false pretenses and it goes on and on. Is it really that far of a stretch to think it is all set up and decided?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I. Hate. Dick. Cheney. I often have to remind myself that he his someone's husband and father and not some freaky NWO robot. The man is meaner than a West Texas horsefly. You just know he kicks dogs and sticks his tongue out at little kids.

[edit on 19/3/08 by kosmicjack]

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join