It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long live the United States and its Economy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
This thread shows perfectly well how the majority of the Americans has acted over the years (on this forum). Years before mainstream media paid any attention to this, I started threads which were shortly after ruined by such trolls.

For years they have been saying ''the American economy is the strongest in the world'' while I merely showed that the situation was a bit different and would get much worse. It was all nonsense I was claiming and now you see what happened to these people. The trolls are gone.

I mean, you cannot really blame these people as their government has they have been indoctrinated with this crap for so long (or brainwashed), but people should really be a bit more careful and willing to learn rather than just keep on making baseless claims when others are trying to show you a certain situation from a different perspective.

It's a bit similar to these ignorant claims that America is the greatest country in the world. First of all, many claiming this have never lived abroad.
Additionally, the US has lost all it once stood for. The US used to be an example for the world, a country many people including me used to admire. Now it's has lost all of that. It's amazing how quickly their politicians have ruined the once so great country.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst
reply to post by dawnstar

Seriously......not going to college is only going to hurt him in the long run. Our welfare rolls are full of people that did not go to college, not all by their choice, but I have never heard of anyone on welfare being a college graduate.

I come from an underclass background. A single parent household where no one worked and lived in public housing to boot.

I've just completed a media degree and a diploma from another institution at the same time.

Everyone else in my class and indeed most people at the university always talked about such things as their parents having to wait for land to build a new house on and so forth.

Disheartening, but I've come out on the other end of it.

In Australia the system is different - there's more opportunity for socially disadvantaged people to move between the economic classes without plunking down enormous amounts of cash upfront.

[edit on 25-10-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

I have three sons...
one is serving in the military, mainly because he was promised a nice sum of money when he gets out for college....I am hoping the government is able to fullfill this promise for him.
one is now a site manager making decent money...
and my youngest isn't making as decent money but still, he is working holding his own...
none of them have college educations...
and well, if one is to take some of the stuff being said in the media, I don't see where all of the educated fools have done much good....

they were stupid enough to allow themselves to be bullied into inflating the appraisals of the houses, and are now filing lawsuits against the companies that were firing them and blacklisting them when the refused....na, they couldn't do this before the mess blew up!!

those working for the ratings agencies where sending emails back and forth.....we'd rate anything, even if a cow wrote it up.....and....let's hope we're rich and retired, before the house of cards come tumbling down....

my husband was kicked out of his house at 16, he worked hard at that age, and was manager of a drug store by the time he went into the service, he served to 4 years, got out and got a apprenticeship at one of the companies, learned to be a machinist.... these kids think that since they "worked hard" at partying for 4 years at a college they deserve hundreds of thousands of dollars for their sacrifice....
hey, my husband has worked hard since for 44 years is now a journeyman machinist who can do anything that flow through his shop, and does do anything that flows through his shop since well...he's the supervisor of one, himself. since he has worked so hard at learning the trade, and well....good machinists are hard to come by in this area....he's the only employee. the boss can get away with this setup because he does know how to do it all...
but ya, they worked hard, sitting at a desk for four years, partying at night, earning their degree....
and of course, we all should have worked just as hard, sitting at desks, getting our mba's also......
and well....then there would be no one doing the real work that makes this economy churn...but we'd all be making hundreds of thousands of dollars!!! ya, only in people's dreams, as we are finding out now...

if nothing else, I hope the current crisis causes us to come back to earth and rethink our priorities....
we could live without the stock market, but well....try living without good quality machined gears in your power plants, your cars, or good braces under your bridges, or well....try living without your little humble ballbrearings!!
they keep going on and on about how bad our dependance on foreign oil is, but our whole economy has become just as dependant....it's all imported! and the knowledge, the skills required to manufacture those things in our country is fading...the machinery is either gone of or sitting in disrepair gathering dust.... can't see where the oil is gonna make much of a difference if we can churn out enough ball bearings to keep the power plants running, or the talent and machinery to start pumping out the basic necessities of life such as clothing, shoes, ect....
heck, my husband once delivered a truckload of imported apple concentrate to a company in upstate ny that manufactured apple juice. (if the economy goes bust and he can't earn a living as a machinist, he's got the liscening he needs to drive truck). well, upstate ny is apple orchards....all over the place!! he asked the guy at the factory, why they were importing the apples from another country...
it's the government, they will give them a nice subsidy if they will just use an import as part of their ingredients in their products! so, well, our apple orchards are suffering because they lost a major buyer, and the company is being reimbursed for their losses by the US taxpayer I guess, since I doubt very much it is cheaper to import this concentrate from whereever it came from than it is to use our fresh apples!! and of course, we, the consumer get to enjoy an inferiour product!

like I said, I hope that we at least come out of this with our priorities a little more down to earth!

I've been wondering what has happened to all those "the economy is great" people too....
where are they all at?? they certainly ain't around here spouting their great economy anymore...

[edit on 26-10-2008 by dawnstar]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
hey, maybe this is where they ran off to??

Student loan fugitives
When faced with unaffordable monthly payments and relentless creditors, some see leaving the country as their only way out.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Carl, a Florida native now living overseas, is afraid to move back to the United States. That's because he can't afford to pay his student loans.

Carl (who doesn't want his last name used) stopped making his $450 monthly payments after his family incurred some unexpected medical expenses, and his $55,000 private loans went into default. That's when the phone calls from debt collectors started, and Carl decided not to come back.

"It was made clear that if I ever came home, I'm screwed," says Carl.

Today, he estimates his private loans are more than $70,000. Though he hopes to move home one day, for now, staying abroad is the only option he can see.

"If it means I have to live in exile from friends and family...well, that's the breaks. So be it. But I won't put my family in a situation where they are afraid," he says.

While most Americans are burdened with debt of some kind, student loan repayment can be a particularly scary prospect for young people struggling to start a career. Payments are often higher than expected, and the loans can't easily be discharged. Added pressure from debt collectors causes some grads to flee their loans by fleeing the country.

"These are people new to borrowing and they didn't understand what they were getting into," says Mark Kantrowitz of Finaid.org, an online student loan information Web site. "It's a very sorry situation that it comes to students feeling they have no option than to leave the country," he says. "It's a sign the system is broken."

To date, there is about $60 billion in defaulted student loan debt according to Chris Lang of the New York-based debt collection agency, ConServe. But while skipping town to avoid paying student loans isn't very common - Lang estimates that only about 2% to 4% of delinquent student loan debt is owed from students abroad - for some, it seems like the only way out.

International addresses make it more difficult to find people, and collection companies would usually need to hire an international counsel or a third party collector to recoup the debt, cutting into their profits and reducing their incentive to go after a debtor.

"It increases our expenses to go overseas," says Justin Berg of American Profit Recovery, a debt collection agency in Massachusetts. "Our revenues are cut by more than half," he says.

money.cnn.com...

there's more in the article, by the way...

as a parent, it would break my heart to have one of my kids have to leave home to because of the loans they took out for their education, lest they end up on welfare.....
this is just sickening!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join