It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

oldest UFO photo or oldest hoax?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
hmmmmmmmmm some photo's just can't be explained.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
here's some more old ufo photos.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ah here we are, Brazil, 1958:

and then of course there is Los Angeles, 1942:

-WFA

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by xweaponx

This is the only evidence we need to prove that ufo's can be real.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by beastamerica

This photo looks genune, but who is this man in the photo? My take on this photo is that it occured close to the area and time of the origin of the Urantia Book. The Urantia Book was given by ETs using a form of telepathy to unknown man. The area was near Ohio and in the 1930s.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
My opinion of the originaly posted photograph is that that is not a street light, and the folk who can see a cable running to it are HALLUCINATING ! Also , to those who think that the picture would naturaly be centred on the person in the foreground, thats not artistic camera work really is it ?
If I was there , with a periodicaly appropriate cool person, at the side of a road, with a gnarly car, then guess what ? I would take a picture of the person next to the road. The very composition of the shot would seem to suggest that the photographer was attempting to instill the veiwer with a sense of wander lust, to draw them into the scene a little bit , and imagine what might lay at the end of the road. Theres alot more to photography as an art form , than being able to capture a clean image of an object or person. The best photographers are able to create a captivating or engaging image, from even the most boring , and nonsensical items, and they do this by contextualising the subject matter. Its an art , and a skill which takes alot of practice to perfect. The UFO probably utterly ruined the shot from the photographers perspective LOL!

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by jritzmann

If divinity is personified as a disc shaped UFO like object I don't see how that discounts these paintings as evidence of UFOs, it adds to the credence of some claims that UFOs and God go hand in hand, whether one is the other or not who knows... I can't believe they tried to discount the Crucifixion painting:

There is no way, under any circumstances, that those are anything but UFOs, they have pilots, one has an insignia on it and what looks exactly like a cockpit, I just don't see any other way to interpret that... the art site tried to say it was a personification of the sun and moon as humans, even if that were true they had to have the idea to paint them like that from somewhere, the sun and the moon look nothing like that so... UFOs

Excellent thread, and great posts here. Thanks for all the relevant pictures. I guess we can add this picture to the unexplained file? Still nobody even close to debunking this other than saying it could possibly be a "street lamp". George Sutton, the first man to have his picture taken with a real UFO?

S+F.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I must admit I've skipped a couple of pages of this thread, so I apologize if this post is redundant. The first question to ask is: "What is the provenance of this photo?" In other words, where exactly did it come from? Did a descendant of the subject find it in a shoe box in the attic? Was there something written on back? Is there a story connected to it? Was it found at a flea market? Was it pulled from an old book by, say, George Adamski? Each of these leads in a different direction.

As for the framing of the photo: has it been cropped? If not, the off center composition might be due to the parallax from a cheap camera.

What generation print is this? Is this a scan of the original, or a copy of a copy of a copy? Does the original negative still exist?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Most of your questions remain unanswered. It appears the photo was taken from an album. That is pretty much all that is known I believe.

"One a spring day around noon, May 1932, this photo was taken of Mr. George Sutton near St. Paris, Ohio. When developed, the photo showed an unusual object in the sky behind Mr. Sutton.

However, the true significance of the object would not be recognized until the late 1940s when The Age of Flying Saucers began in earnest.

There are no power poles or power lines visible anywhere in this picture. The owner of the photo album stated there were no street lights along this road in those days. Therefore, the UFO in this photo could not have been a street lamp, simply because there were no street lamps there at the time.

This picture, showing a vintage automobile with a 1932 license plate on the front bumper, was taken near mid-day (as may be seen from the shadows on the ground).

To date, no one has been able to account for the dark object seen over Mr. Sutton's left shoulder in this photograph."

UFO Digest

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by WitnessFromAfar

Those Egyptian pics are nice, good job. I have seen them somewhere before, do you know where and when were they found?

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Wow, never seen before this thread, and it's there since 2008: thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by jritzmann

If divinity is personified as a disc shaped UFO like object I don't see how that discounts these paintings as evidence of UFOs, it adds to the credence of some claims that UFOs and God go hand in hand, whether one is the other or not who knows... I can't believe they tried to discount the Crucifixion painting:

There is no way, under any circumstances, that those are anything but UFOs, they have pilots, one has an insignia on it and what looks exactly like a cockpit, I just don't see any other way to interpret that... the art site tried to say it was a personification of the sun and moon as humans, even if that were true they had to have the idea to paint them like that from somewhere, the sun and the moon look nothing like that so... UFOs

There's a way, under some circumstances: for example, to take a look at some more paintings from middle ages.
They are the Sun (left) and the Moon (right):
to represent them in some anthropomorphic (and surrounded by something) was very common, especially during the middle age, but its origin is very ancient: in this case, the meaning of representing then that way, was to depict the Sun and the Moon as some human-like witnesses to the cucifixion:

Now, this would have been interesting if it was some unique case AND if it was corroborated by some report: but on the contrary, not only the theory of the presence of two UFOs comes from nowhere, but there are a lot of examples depicting the same scene in almost exactly the same way: in bizantine paintings, but not only:

James Hall, author of the "Dictionary of Subjects & Symbols In Art" adds some details:

“ The sun and moon, one on each side of the cross, are a regular feature of Medieval crucifixions. They survived into the early Renaissance but are seldom seen after the 15th century. Their origin is very ancient. It was the custom to represent the sun and moon in images of the pagan sun gods of Persia and Greece, a practice that was carried over into Roman times on coins depicting the emperors.”
(...) The sun is[sometimes represented as simply a man’s bust with a radiant halo, the moon as a woman’s with the crescent of Diana. Later they are reduced to two plain disks, the moon having a crescent within the
circle, may be borne by angels. The sun appears on Christ's right, the moon on his left.”

www.sprezzatura.it...

Even in the very same Decany monastery there are more anthropomorphic representations of the Sun and the Moon, but they have been never mentioned by the books/websites supporting the theory of the two UFOs during the crucifixion:

And why didn't they mention this example?

Maybe, because aliens on wagons drawn by horses and by oxen wouldn't look that technologically advanced

www.srpskoblago.org...
www.kosovo.net...
www.sprezzatura.it...

So, yes, there's an explanation, but it's a very specific one, and of course we can't use it for any painting showing something up in the sky: but in this case, that IS the explanation.

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I remember seeing a photo once from the year 1870. It was supposedly a ufo. I cant remember what website it was on because it was so long ago that I saw it. The reason why I remember it is because There werent any known flying machines in 1890. If I recall correctly it was a cigar shaped object in front of some clouds. I guess the only point im trying to make is that if the photo I saw was real than your photo is not the oldest ufo photo. Id love to find that old pic again though.

Hi, my friend:
your description matches the Mount Washington photo, 1870:

A good post about it can be found here, from the thread the oldest UFO photograph ever taken .

Regarding the photo in the OP, I don't recall to have ever seen the proof it was some streetlight: as far as i know, it's a case still open, but i can be wrong

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I remember seeing a photo once from the year 1870. It was supposedly a ufo. I cant remember what website it was on because it was so long ago that I saw it. The reason why I remember it is because There werent any known flying machines in 1890. If I recall correctly it was a cigar shaped object in front of some clouds. I guess the only point im trying to make is that if the photo I saw was real than your photo is not the oldest ufo photo. Id love to find that old pic again though.

Hi, my friend:
your description matches the Mount Washington photo, 1870

Great post as always Internos!

Yes that 1870 photo would be the oldest UFO photo if it were really a UFO, but that thread shows how easily we are fooled by something as simple as cropping the photo etc. We were lucky someone came along who knew what the heck that thing was, that's the great thing about these forums.

Regarding the photo in the OP I just note the shape on the top looks a little bit asymmetrical, for what that's worth. But I can't tell what it is. I don't understand the street light claims, it doesn't look like a place where you'd find a street light to me, maybe they were just kidding about that.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
earthcitizen07

For example, I don't know of any street lights erected a hundred or more feet high

How many do you measure? Its a matter of perspective, It may be 20ft high but much closer to the subject than it appears.
Any pole or line is whiteout.

incarnated

Maybe because they stopped to look at the UFO and wanted to get a picture of it. Why do you assume it should be centered on him?

Speculation

First off centered on him is a bad photography no-no. Anyone that wishes to be a photographer first learns that.

Not everyone that takes phots 'wishes to be a photographer'

Secondly it's not a picture of the person. It's a picture of the person and the disk. Just as if it were a picture of the person and MountWashington.
It's unlikely the man would be centered.

Speculation. We know nothing about the photo or photographer.

It's a well recorded fact that small towns use to string cables across buildings on main street for decorations. It's used in several movies. That's all that is going on in that picture. You crack me up.

if you look to the rigth of the photograph you can actually see the cable running across the building. Our Right over there >>>>>>>

clevland ohio
1879 - April 29. First electric streetlight installed on Public Square by Charles F. Brush. Forest City, Cleveland's professional baseball team, joins the National League.

www.positivelycleveland.com...
homepage.ntlworld.com...

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com...

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com...

www.myinsulators.com...

www.franklinparklibrary.org...

www.minerd.com...

modern one, pretty 'ufo-ish'

www.eskimo.com...

beastamerica, good stuff

www.abovetopsecret.com...

truebrit

My opinion of the originaly posted photograph is that that is not a street light, and the folk who can see a cable running to it are HALLUCINATING

I dont see a cable, but that dosent mean its not there, its an over exposed 1920 photograph for christ sake!

smell the roses

The owner of the photo album stated there were no street lights along this road in those days.

And thats irrefutable is it? Wheres proof?

[edit on 29-3-2010 by wayaboveitall]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wayaboveitall

This is just elaboration on whether the street light may be in the picture. I really don't know if this helps but according to wiki (great source I know lol) the population of the town in which the photograph was taken according to the 2000 census is less than 2000. I honestly can't say how things work in Ohio so it is speculation but in Alabama in the year 2010, the town I live in has 3 times the population than that of the current Paris Ohio population. My town in particular has no street lights except at the 4 way stop. I don't see it as being impossible that the small town of Paris in 1932 didn't have one seeing as in 2010 we only have one. Just some food for thought.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wayaboveitall

Thanks for the examples of other streetlights. Notice how in most of those photos you can see more buildings around compared to the OP photo?

I wouldn't rule out a streetlight as you said, but I would just expect to see more buildings around like your examples if that's what it was.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

Thank you. There is just insufficient evidence even to begin to evaluate this photo. It is unlikely that the photographer and his subject would not notice a flying machine, and if they did, they probably wouldn't be so casual about photographing it. The story corroborates this insofar as it is claimed that they didn't notice it until the photograph was developed. Without the original negative, it is difficult to verify anything here.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Here is a set of what looks like the same craft over time.

There are others that look like this craft but without "spike" up.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I know that nobody wants to hear this, but I will offer a very plausible explanation.

The object in the photo is the USS Akron. Link Here.

The 1930's were the "golden age" of the airships. The USS Akron (and the USS Macon) were attempts at an airborn aircraft carrier.

The date of May 1932 falls right in line with the May-June cross country tour to show off the new airship. As the USS Akron is the flagship from the Goodyear airship factory in Akron, OH, it only makes sense that it would be shown off in the area.

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
Here is a set of what looks like the same craft over time.

I agree with you some of those photos look similar. However the 2003 and 2006 images look like blurry bird photos. Compare them to this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f32b0b306a15.jpg[/atsimg]

reply to post by J-in-TX

But does the shape match the shape of the airship? What about the bubble on top?

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Yes its close but I was going after the "spike" or whatever it is as the primary similarity.

[edit on 29-3-2010 by Logarock]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join