It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mission Accomplished: The hard daily life of Iraq women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
www.alertnet.org

For the war widows who have moved to the outskirts of Baghdad from all over the country to try to eke out a living, each day is a struggle for survival.

"A lot of these women are young - they are not the 'old ladies' we'd imagine as widows, as we did in the past," says one such woman, Suhair.

"Without food and electricity, it's getting harder and harder to provide for our families. When we wake up in the morning the first thing that we think about is if there is any electricity or fuel. We think about how we are going to put food on the table."

Women like Suhair take great risks by selling what they can - usually chewing gum or tissues - in violence hotspots.

"This phenomenon was hardly visible prior to 2003," says Suhair. "We women face a lot of danger in doing this. The fear of having your children's lives, your life taken away is constant... Your mind stops functioning when on your way to work you see a car near you and you fear it could explode."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-3-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The surge may have calmed the violence, but things are no better for many in Iraq, particularly the many women who have lost their husbands to the war and bombings.

www.alertnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-3-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

Now they have to deal with the constant threat of rape by security forces.

Have you seen the harnesses they use? The CIA Distributes them.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It would be great to create a data base for these women and their children to send them items that we would ordinarily toss. The problem would be that the criminals would get a hold of our system and take advantage. I wonder how it could be done? I would gladly send my throw away items if I knew they could benifit other mothers in need. America is not too far from this you know.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
reply to post by Silenceisall

Now they have to deal with the constant threat of rape by security forces.

Have you seen the harnesses they use? The CIA Distributes them.

I hope you are kidding, but I fear not.

posted on Mar, 7 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
It would be great to create a data base for these women and their children to send them items that we would ordinarily toss. The problem would be that the criminals would get a hold of our system and take advantage. I wonder how it could be done? I would gladly send my throw away items if I knew they could benifit other mothers in need. America is not too far from this you know.

This is just the kind of thing that should be done, but you would have to get the military involved since no official charity organization would set foot on the ground in Iraq. The majority of the soldiers there are just concerned with staying alive and killing off "terrorists."

top topics

join