It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers are people too!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RexxCrow
Meanwhile, your coworkers have to pickup your workload slack, while your zesty smelling ciggy arse is sneaking outside to hotbox your fix every 2-3 hours.

Yea, we should cater to your needs, while we are at it lets cater to the hunger needs of the gravly obese, and the almost zombie like meth-heads we have to work with and call our coworkers. Jackass!

Wow... Your head is so far up your @$$ you can't even hear the bull $#@! coming out of your own mouth!

I am a smoker... I take lots of smoke breaks! Why, because I am awesome at what I do... I significantly exceed not only other smokers, but non smokers as well! I have been in the top 2% of every sales job I have ever had for every organization I have ever worked for! You want to talk about results, what I do directly impacts the ability for every other person that works for the company to draw a paycheck! So, if I must... I will show you my sales records, I will show you my awards, and I will have the owner of my company tell you how valuable I am AS A SMOKER to the company that I work for!

BTW... I would be VERY interested in finding out what exactly it is you do, because I don't know of one white collar job out there where they are going to make you do the work for somebody else because they are on break... smoking or not! If you have this pent up aggression toward smokers, maybe it is because either your job sucks, or you suck at your job! either way... get a new job and get off us "smokers" backs!

[edit on 5-3-2008 by sparda4355]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I like to smoke indoors. I don't care for the rules much and I do pay for my ambivalence in many ways.

I'm Ontario, we can't smoke at work, or anywhere. So I do.

I smoke everywhere, in the mall, at the store and there isn't a goddamn thing anyone is gonna do about it.
The store could call the cops, or refuse service to me (which is why I recommend smoking after purchasing), but that would cost time and money.

The cops hate being called out for "cigarette smoking" and will likely think it some sort of prank is going on... if they show at all.

Continue to smoke, anywhere you want. You will not be legally punished.
The police know it takes five minutes to smoke a cigarette and twenty for them to dispatch. The illogic makes for an unwillingness to waste time or tax dollars.

Smoke or don't smoke, just know that there ain't a goddamn thing anyone can do about stopping you unless you let them.
The signs can't physically stop you from smoking, if anyone tries to stop you it is assault, if they take your cigarette, it is theft, and if you are forced outside to light up... it is moral cowardice.

That being said, smoking around people eating/food prep is disrespectful, as is lighting up in a confined space with someone who does not like it. Don't litter your butts either. Don't smoke at work if you think you'll get fired.

But do not let them force you outside, force them to call the police, at which point the burden of proof is on them.

The informant will not be able to prove when you were smoking, only that you smoke. The police will be angry at the time wasted. They won't be angry at you, because you didn't waste their time. Chances are you will either be done your smoke long before they arrive, or simply gone somewhere else.

I prefer smoking in malls on the way out, or in wall-marts. Bus shelters too.

Smoking laws are a means of control, as well as a way of finding out who is willing to inform on their fellow citizens. Such people will be relied upon when the time comes to help give the government info on other aspects of your lives.

I say take your life in our own hands and light up a smoke... wherever you want to. No one can stop you. You are a Citizen of The Republic.

You are all Free Men!

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It's abosultely true that all those foods and stuff that you're all mentioning also cause cancer and do terrible things to the body, but the point is, if I sit down with a Bic Mac and Fries next to a person eating a nice healthy fruit salad, the negative effects from my food are not going to be felt by the person next to me.

No cancer causing products are gonna enter that persons system. With smoking, it is completely different. If I lit up next to that person then they'd be breathing in my filthy toxic smoke and UNFAIRLY having their health jeopardised.

My problem is not with the smokers who respect the law and smoke only in designated smoking areas (though I still maintain that they're just plain stupid for smoking in the first place), but with the completely arrogant smokers who just light up anywhere they want with no respect for the people around them. For example, the horrible people who light up in crowds at concerts or any event like that. IMO, they are one of the worst examples of human beings.

I also completely and 100% agree that you only have one life and you should live it to your fullest. So why would you wan't to make your life not only shorter, but the last 10 - 15 years a living hell?

The reason I call smokers "stupid" is because, well, how else would you describe someone who purposely breaths in toxic fumes that destroys their insides as well as makes their outsides disgusting and yellow? If I went and sucked on a cars exhaust pipe a few times a day you'd think I was pretty damn stupid, right?

(I'd just like to add, though I understand if it's not really believable after that little tirade, I do have lots of friends who smoke, and I hang out with them and I genuinely respect them, but that's because they respect me also and move away when they want to smoke. I also tell them how stupid I think they are and, strangely enough, they tend to agree. I do not like them any less than my non-smoker friends.)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus

Originally posted by jfj123

But one of the causes of lung cancer is SMOKING.

But one of the causes of emphysema is SMOKING.

ONE of the causes....not THE cause. let's ban the others, shall we?

This is a typical excuse of the irrational smoker. Since we can't eliminate all the causes, we should eliminate none. Nice logic.

i'm actually at a loss for words here...your argument is so completely idiotic, it defies the law of averages..

Actually it's just fine. The problem is you don't want to hear it because you're a smoker with an addiction and when you believe your addiction is threatened in any way, you lash out just like any other drug addict.

Not doing that at all. This is an unfortunate fact.

Do you have solid, reliable, backed numbers to show just how often this happens?
I honestly can't tell you how many people end up in the hospital or die each year from asthmatic episodes but I did post some information a few posts back feel free to read and hopefully learn.

what's more, do you have any proof that this has EVER happened even once?

You can if it initiates an asthmatic episode.

Rescue inhaler?

Rescue inhalers are not a 100% cure all. Before spouting a comment like this, please look into it a little.

I can't make you pay attention.

It's you who isn't paying attention....otherwise you would have seen that your ENTIRE argument was invalidated pages ago, with that scientific data posted about the so called "second hand smoke effects"
If you believe the data I've posted is incorrect, prove it.
It's very interesting how you keep lashing out at me like a typical addict.

Yes because those diseases really don't exist and I'm making them and their causes up. RIIIGGHHHHTTT

Death isn't a disease, it's a state of existence.
My apologies for improper sentence structure. Sometimes we all make a few mistakes when it comes to spelling or proper sentence structure. I'll try and do better next time.

cancer and copd are...

Yes I know they are

but just because you are exposed to "second hand smoke", doesn't produce the forgone conclusion that you WILL get either of these conditions....

There is not a 100% chance that you will develop one of these 2 diseases, however there is an increased risk with each progressive exposure. So being exposed to cigarette smoke drastically increases your chances of contracting these diseases.

hell, there's no guarantee that you'll get them even if you smoke the damned things yourself. it's scaremongering.

No guarantee. That is correct but the chances are GREATLY increased. Try using your same brilliant argument while swimming in shark infested waters. "there's no guarantee that I'll get eaten even if I do swim here. It's just scaremongering".... uhuh...

"if you smoke, you will die" that's misleading bull#....

Proof you don't pay attention. I never said, "if you smoke you WILL die from it".

the same kind of hippy nonsense rhetoric spouted by the anti-tobacco lobby.....seriously, go do some research for yourself, instead of believing everything the tube tells you.

How about this:
I have asthma and cigarette smoke has, on more then one occasion, initiated an asthmatic episode with one sending me to the hopital.
My granfather died from emphysema related illness from cigarette smoke.
My mom is currently on oxygen with COPD. She stopped smoking 25 years ago and has had several doctors tell her it was from smoking cigarettes.
Is that enough RESEARCH for you?

This really IS all about control....we shouldn't have special places to smoke, just like fat people shouldn't be allowed to have handicapped plates, and use handicapped parking spots....we should be allowed to smoke indoors, like we used to...

Proof you just don't get it. You want to smoke where ever you want. I want the same thing without smoke. So who wins? Once YOUR smoke hit's me, your smokers rights end.

the smoking/non smoking sections worked just fine...big brother should have left it alone...

Actually they never did. They only worked for the smokers who didn't care whether or not smoke was everywhere. That's the problem. Smoke never confines itself to one area just because of a sign.

Try this analogy
You can drink all you want. Nobody cares as long as you chose the appropriate location to do so. Can you drink while driving? NO? Why not? Because now your habit is affecting others around you. Same thing with smoking. Does that sink in just a little ? So for your argument to be valid, you must also agree that you should be able to drink and drive.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus

source wikipedia

quote something reliable.

and before you argue with me about it, i could go edit the COPD article to say that it's caused by excessive d**k sucking.....doesn't make it true. quote something reliable.

[edit on 5-3-2008 by Daedalus]

Disprove the information.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio
reply to post by RexxCrow

If you had trouble reading the other posters comments on this let me reiterate.

Smokers tend to work harder than non-smokers.

Interesting. Any data to back this up with?
The smokers I have worked with typically took 4-6 times as many breaks as I did and never made up the lost work. I've never been able to go on a non-smoke break but smokers get a bunch. I felt so bad for those poor smokers who had a lot less work time per day then I did.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Toy_soldier

Very well said post !! Good job.

I'd thought I'd share a side story.
I work in the construction industry and do quite a bit of interior painting. I also have painted for many people who smoke. When we paint for a smoker, we have to charge them quite a bit extra to cover the smoke/nicotine stains on the walls and ceiling. It usually means using 1-2 coats of oil based primer/sealer to cover the stains as they bleed through regular primers. Every time I do this, I wonder to myself if they really understand what it must be doing to their lungs.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
if i had the power i would conspire to ban all smoking anywhere/everywhere and ban the sale of tobacco products in order to help safe guard non-smokers health and even the health of smokers that do not have the desire or willpower to quit smoking on their own-----since i have no power i have to suffer it out along with the other unwilling victims.
in this age all 1 can do is try to avoid being around those addicted as much as possible---like i said i had to quit my job and retire early in order to hang onto whats left of my health.

why so many that are in the military/government complex smoke is a mystery to me and why they would want to smoke under my nose while i was trying to work was another mystery-----made myself hated over and over asking them to go away so i could work----not only were they not doing their jobs they were preventing me from doing my job efficiently.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

i agree with most of what i have seen you post here-----like you say----about walls etched with nicotin/tar--- some of the government housing i worked in 10 years ago---- until repairs to pmq's was contracted out----the whole house reeked like a huge ashtray----even after it was supposedly cleaned for return to the housing authority.

it wasn't just the walls/ceilings that absorbed the tar/smell ----even the hardwood floors were discoloured and reeked.

painting alone is a hazerdous enough job----think i heard +1 year ago that the fumes from latex paint is carcenogenic-----hope you have lots of ventilation available if you still use this paint.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
if i had the power i would conspire to ban all smoking anywhere/everywhere and ban the sale of tobacco products in order to help safe guard non-smokers health and even the health of smokers that do not have the desire or willpower to quit smoking on their own-----

Thus proving my point. It's about POWER. Control over others that the gov. says, "Go ahead, whack away at them all you like. We won't stop you." Thanks for proving my point.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

Can you in any way at all justify your smoking to a second hand smoking cancer victim?

[edit on 6-3-2008 by tep200377]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Uhhhh no, you should not be a protected group. If you CHOOSE to smoke at work you will have to do so at your EMPLOYERS whim. Personally I think smokers should pay a higher percentage of their health care insurance as it has be proven that smokers, on average, have more health related issues. The same could be said of the very obese.

On a side note, why do smokers feel it is their "right" to bascially be non productive for 15 minutes every 2 hours or so of work and expect to get paid for it at the same time? That has always boggled me.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by tep200377
Can you in any way at all justify your smoking to a second hand smoking cancer victim?

May I ask, what does your question have to do with todays society? Smokers are pretty much segregated, if a person get second hand smoke today, they really didn't put too much effort into removing themselves from that environment.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Since we can't eliminate all the causes, we should eliminate none. Nice logic.

so instead, let's all ignore the 99,999 problems and call a witch hunt on smokers, but not the companies that produce smoking materials, all the while giving industrial pollution a free pass? Not only is that bad logic, it's the paramount of hypocritical. I say attack the BIG sources first, then go after smokers.

you don't want to hear it because you're a smoker with an addiction and when you believe your addiction is threatened in any way, you lash out just like any other drug addict.

and you are no better, because you don't want to hear the echoes of your own hypocritical statements. Seriously, it's like yelling at someone for spitting out gum on the sidewalk, while someone is dumping toxic waste into a river right behind you.

You want to smoke where ever you want. I want the same thing without smoke. So who wins? Once YOUR smoke hit's me, your smokers rights end.

Go preach that same line outside a busy highway in LA. No, really. See how far your "right" to clean air gets you.

Can you drink while driving? NO? Why not? Because now your habit is affecting others around you. Same thing with smoking.

are you SURE you want to use that analog? I'll give you a second chanceto reconsider.

Does that sink in just a little ?

for your argument to be valid, you must also agree that you should be able to drink and drive.

that's a logical fallacy, you just twisted someone's argument to mean something else to your liking.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

reply to post by RexxCrow

If you had trouble reading the other posters comments on this let me reiterate.

Smokers tend to work harder than non-smokers.

Interesting. Any data to back this up with?
The smokers I have worked with typically took 4-6 times as many breaks as I did and never made up the lost work. I've never been able to go on a non-smoke break but smokers get a bunch. I felt so bad for those poor smokers who had a lot less work time per day then I did.

I do... I am a smoker, I am awesome at my job! Here is a previous post on this thread you may have skipped!

"I am a smoker... I take lots of smoke breaks! Why, because I am awesome at what I do... I significantly exceed not only other smokers, but non smokers as well! I have been in the top 2% of every sales job I have ever had for every organization I have ever worked for! You want to talk about results, what I do directly impacts the ability for every other person that works for the company to draw a paycheck! So, if I must... I will show you my sales records, I will show you my awards, and I will have the owner of my company tell you how valuable I am AS A SMOKER to the company that I work for!"

I know that's true because I wrote it! I do have data to back that up if your interested!

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'll get back to this in a bit. I have to walk over a quarter mile to get out of this institution. Put on the parka and have a smoke, out in the snow. By myself of course.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
Since we can't eliminate all the causes, we should eliminate none. Nice logic.

so instead, let's all ignore the 99,999 problems and call a witch hunt on smokers, but not the companies that produce smoking materials, all the while giving industrial pollution a free pass? Not only is that bad logic, it's the paramount of hypocritical. I say attack the BIG sources first, then go after smokers.
Did I say that? Nooooooooo, I didn't. All pollution is bad.

you don't want to hear it because you're a smoker with an addiction and when you believe your addiction is threatened in any way, you lash out just like any other drug addict.

and you are no better, because you don't want to hear the echoes of your own hypocritical statements. Seriously, it's like yelling at someone for spitting out gum on the sidewalk, while someone is dumping toxic waste into a river right behind you.

huh?

You want to smoke where ever you want. I want the same thing without smoke. So who wins? Once YOUR smoke hit's me, your smokers rights end.

Go preach that same line outside a busy highway in LA. No, really. See how far your "right" to clean air gets you.

What horrible logic. So since we have car pollution, it's automatically ok for people to smoke. What wonderful logic

Can you drink while driving? NO? Why not? Because now your habit is affecting others around you. Same thing with smoking.

are you SURE you want to use that analog? I'll give you a second chanceto reconsider.

Does that sink in just a little ?

for your argument to be valid, you must also agree that you should be able to drink and drive.

that's a logical fallacy, you just twisted someone's argument to mean something else to your liking.
No my point is very valid.
You can drink
You can smoke

Drinking can cause health problems
Smoking can cause health problems

Do either if you like in the appropriate location

If I were to drink and drive, I now increase risks for those around me.
If I smoke in a public area, I now increase risks for those around me.

A scientist would get it

[edit on 6-3-2008 by jfj123]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

So....... if you stopped smoking you would be a less successful? Sounds like an alcoholic who needs a "nip" to take the edge off. Addicts always think they perform better with their habit of choice.

Do you honestly think your success is related to a stick of tobacco? Were you just an average seller, then started smoking and they became a "superstar"? You would make a great commerical for the tobbacco industry then. "Having trouble getting a date, lit up a cigarette and watch the ladies come to you" See, it works!!

I would think that smoking really has nothing to do with it other than you being able to be more focused once your nicotine addiction is satisfied.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparda4355
reply to

I do... I am a smoker, I am awesome at my job! Here is a previous post on this thread you may have skipped!

"I am a smoker... I take lots of smoke breaks! Why, because I am awesome at what I do... I significantly exceed not only other smokers, but non smokers as well! I have been in the top 2% of every sales job I have ever had for every organization I have ever worked for! You want to talk about results, what I do directly impacts the ability for every other person that works for the company to draw a paycheck! So, if I must... I will show you my sales records, I will show you my awards, and I will have the owner of my company tell you how valuable I am AS A SMOKER to the company that I work for!"

I know that's true because I wrote it! I do have data to back that up if your interested!

Thats fantastic. Congrats. Unfortunately I have never worked with a smoker such as yourself. I wish I did then I wouldn't have had to do my work and theirs. All the smokers I've worked with in the past have been just the opposite as yourself. I apologize for lumping you with every other smoker I have worked with over the years.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

you are mistaken if you think i would want power just to "lord it over others" my concern is for others health and what's left of mine.
concern? like for your wife children and relatives and fellow workers,to have their health remain intact and not reduced as in me having shortness of breath from 61years of involuntary smoking.

my last year of high school the principal was a heavy smoker and he had the authority back then in 67 to permit smoking in the classes.a class of 30 students with just about all them smoking and me allergic to it and slumped in thedesk as low to the floor as could get for air.didn't get too much out of classes that last year needless to say.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join