It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds Spanking Leads to Devient Masochistic Sex Lives as Adults

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
A person can only speak of personal experience, especially in matters such as this... that includes the praticipants in the study.

We often see cause and effect where there is none however.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Childhood traumas can cause all kinds of deviant behavior- but not everyone reacts the same way. Sexual molestation can cause the child to grow up withdrawn, sullen and isolationist- similar or the same trauma to another child might make him/her aggressive. I am not real big on studies because abuse and trauma responses are individual.

As for spanking- IMO it should be the last resort. If you cannot communicate effectively with your child and they do not trust you to be honest and a confidante, then you really have no business being a parent. Some kids today would feel the sting of discipline much more if their X-Box was taken from them for a week or until they earned it back. There are countless ways to get a child's attention and a good parent will know their children well enough to know what disciplinary action will be most effective.

Any idiot can make a baby- but you need a license to fish- go figure!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'm heartbroken by Straus' presentation earlier this year. I think he's a great scholar on the impact of all sorts of domestic violence issues, especially the notion of hitting kids to stop them from hitting! He has many compelling points, and is still a hero for many of us working on domestic violence issues.

But, damn, Murray, you really didn't do your emancipatory homework on sexual expression when it comes to BDSM (Bondage-Discipline, Dominance-Submission, Sadism-Masochism) communities, or, for that sake, the closeted kinky people who are reading USA today! In your own 2001 study, which I presume you're basing your findings on, you report over 60% of the college population admits to some form of 'masochistic' sex. Does a pathology exist if it is found in over half of your population?

What DOES exist is a lingering stigmatization of the eroticization of power during consensual, adult intimate exchange (i.e., BDSM sexual identity), furthered by your, frankly, weak and ill-researched knowledge of the burgeoning body of research on kink (see, for example, Sadomadochism: Powerful Pleasures, 2006; and Safe, Sane and Consensual, 2007). This bias has resulted in lost child custody and even assault charges amongst safe, sane, consenting adults.

If we're really going to do anything to stop the epidemic of domestic violence, we need to be clear on our terms. Lambasting kink/BDSM should not be part of the movement. This is an old, un-empirical conjecture indicative of unscientific, psychoanalytic thought that brought you such great hits as "penis envy", "homosexual disturbance" and "insanity due to ejaculation outside the vagina". What millennium are we in?

The fact is that the media's summation of the February presentation--with its nexus of furthering the stigmatization of BDSM identity--has now been broadcast across USA Today, Science Blog, AboveTopSecret, and other important avenues. This shows how little we have come in articulating safe, sane, and consensual sex amongst adults. I can only wonder what this means for the people suffering under real domestic power inequalities; we have obfuscated to the point of the profane.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

This is pure rubbish. I was spanked as a child and all it did was set rules for me, no deviant sexual behaviour came out of being punished as a child. Geez. What a load....

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

IMO, yours is the most distracting background on ATS. It hurts my eyes and my senses. I don't like it. I bet no one else does either.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join