It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet scam I stumbled upon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I dont know if this is a good place for this or if it even fits in at this site but i feel the need to try to expose this scam and keep people away from these sites. I am also hoping that somebody here may be able to get this information to people who can do something about this.

So before I post the evidence I have compiled I would like to state that no one under any circumstance should ever give these sites your personal information and especially NOT your credit card information.

THESE SITES ARE SCAMS!!!

www.moonlightcinemanetworks.com

www.butterflydownloadnetwork.com

The sites above, as you may notice by visiting them, promise you access to a network which will supply you with a large database of movies, music, games, and so on for a one time payment of about $40. They also promise you high download speeds, high quality video for movies, unlimited accesss and downloads, and so on. This leads one to believe that they host these files for you and you pay to gain access to download from their servers. However this is most certainly not the case.

As I sat and looked at one of these sites I thought to myself, "What's the catch??" So I googled this website to try to find some off site reviews and found some forums with a whole bunch of very ticked off people.

Here is one such forum posting:

www.complaintsboard.com...

As you can see these people are not very happy with what they got for ther money.

Below are links to the terms and conditions you agree to by signing up at these sites.

www.butterflydownloadnetwork.com...

www.moonlightcinemanetworks.com...

If you go to each link above you will notice that these 2 documents are exactly the same minus the name changes given the name of the site they pertain to. However that is not particularly what I would like to draw your attention to.

continued in next post........

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
continued from first post......

As you can obviously see below is an excerpt from moonlight cinema network site.......

SUBSCRIPTION E-MAILS

MOONLIGHTCINEMANETWORK is a direct marketer that delivers email messages to its subscribers. All information voluntarily provided to MOONLIGHTCINEMANETWORK by a registrant may be used to support our marketing partner’s data services business. These services include the provision of personally identifiable data to marketing companies, advertising agencies, data compilers, data companies, and, to the extent permitted by law, individual reference, email marketers and look-up service programs. Such information may be used by such companies to provide users via email with information on products and services that may be of interest to them. Users may unsubscribe to electronic mailings sent by us at any time by following the instructions contained at the end of every MOONLIGHTCINEMANETWORK newsletter or mailing. Users wishing to unsubscribe from MOONLIGHTCINEMANETWORK messages may reply to the message with the word 'remove' in your email message subject line or by clicking the "Remove yourself from future email here" link.

And below, which isnt so apparent, is from butterfly download network....

SUBSCRIPTION E-MAILS

Unlimitedownloads is a direct marketer that delivers email messages to its subscribers. All information voluntarily provided to Unlimitedownloads by a registrant may be used to support our marketing partner’s data services business. These services include the provision of personally identifiable data to marketing companies, advertising agencies, data compilers, data companies, and, to the extent permitted by law, individual reference, email marketers and look-up service programs. Such information may be used by such companies to provide users via email with information on products and services that may be of interest to them. Users may unsubscribe to electronic mailings sent by us at any time by following the instructions contained at the end of every Unlimitedownloads newsletter or mailing. Users wishing to unsubscribe from Unlimitedownloads messages may reply to the message with the word 'remove' in your email message subject line or by clicking the "Remove yours

As you can see these people forgot a to change a section of the template. This Unlimited downloads site appears to be debunked as googles links to this site do not work anymore, are not links to what i am guessing they should be to, and so on.

I am sure these 2 sites are not and probably will not be the only 2 sites these people have created. Be on the look out for these sites and do NOT sign up to any site that requests payment for access before you do some research on the site.

I hope I din leave anything out and that maybe this will help people and even perhaps get found by somebody who can actually do something about this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention what will happen if you sign up for these sites. the complaints forum pretty much covers what happens if you read through them however.... After you make your payement you will be sent a username and password to access the site. Once you get to the members section all you will find is links to bit torrent websites and links to download p2p software that you can acquire free elsewhere. this site does NOT host any of the files themselves, they are basicly taking your money to provide you links to sites and files you can gain access to free by searching the web.

[edit on 28-2-2008 by AnOldFriend]

join