It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sukhoi Superjet100 closer to first flight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Sukhoi's Superjet100 has moved closer to its maiden flight. They completed an engine run of the engines that are installed on the prototype. First flight was scheduled for December 2007, but delays to the program have pushed it back. They have been flying an SaM146 engine on an IL-76 to confirm the performance of the engine. So far they have tested fuel, hydraulice, electrical, air conditioning, avionics, and fire protection on the prototype. No word on when the first flight is now scheduled for.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
i reckon it`ll fly before the 787

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It just might. They were requiring 100 flights of the engine on the IL-76 IIRC, and they started flying it in December. I'm not sure what they're up to now. Power on is a good step for them. It'll be interesting to see if this is a successful as they hope it will be. It has some good competitors in the market they're going for.

Range wise they're looking at the 2000-2800 mile range, with 78-98 passengers.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The SJ100 is guaranteed domestic sales so I will be interested to see if it can compete with the Embraer E-Jets in the international market, as this is the entire point to building it. The Russians have been operating Boeings and Airbuses for several years now so there can be no doubt they are aware of what is required from a modern commercial transport and they will certainly be hoping that images of the previous crude cattle trucks like the Tu 134 etc can be put to rest.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Nice looking plane, quite compact.

[edit on 23/2/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Great pics Now_Then. I wondered what it was gonna look like in the cockpit. That's one of the odd things I've noticed about the Russian planes I've been on. The green instrument panels. It looks really odd to me, because I'm not used to it.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Look at that cockpit one again... See any control column??

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It's probably a sidestick controller like Airbus uses. The A380 has one like that.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Interesting find, Now_Then,

Looks like the Russians are adopting Airbuses's joystick, fly-by-wire approach. Some collaboration there? I don't know, since I really haven't heard about this project until now...fascinating.

As far as I know...(which ain't much!)...Boeing has shied away from fly-by-wire, though not sure about the 787. Only know the 777 has FBW in the throttles, still rely on cables for flight controls.

...you know, I was on an A320 jumpseat, years ago, about ten...it was on America West, and I felt this really odd vibration. The two guys up front said to each other 'there it goes again', something like that. So, I'm sitting there thinking, 'What?' I had to ask, since I don't know much about the A320 (flew the old A-300, back in the 1980s...lots of differences!).

Anyway, they told me about a continuing anomoly in the elevators...an electronic 'glitch' that caused the elevators to vibrate a bit, just a little bit, in certain postions at cruise. The airplane's LogBook had a history of write-ups, and sign-offs, because the problem was deemed minor, but could not be traced. Needless to say, I was a little disturbed...but the two guys who flew the A320 every day seemed unconcerned, so I knew it was minor...probably just an aspect of FBW technology. I just hope they have a buttload of fail-safes built or programmed in....!

I know that FBW is proven, tested in military airplanes, saves weight and rigging, and MX costs...and cables can jam, etc, etc...I am trying to learn to trust it, call me old school....

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Zaphod, and Now,

Guess I was typing while you posted above...

second line...nothing to say here...

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
There is no collaboration from Airbus, but Alenia bought themselves into the project last year.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Alenia....man, I know I think I knew something, but never heard of them, so I guess...

Thanks for that, waynos...like I say, I just fly 'em, I don't build 'em.

But, Alenia is something new, to me, and I am interested in new things, so, thanks again!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Here's a question, contingent upon the fact that I am still finding out about the airliner...

How much of a 'player' will it be in the World's market, does anyone think?

Point is, China, for all its creativity, just contracts to build components for Boeing and Airbus, and reap the profits. Does Russia, with this Sukhoi airliner, have a shot at breaking into the World's airliner market?

BTW...I think China is into aerospace, but I think they're focusing on 'space'...???

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Order breakdown:

Aeroflot 45 -95s 20 options
Financial Leasing Company 10 -95s 10 options
AirUnion 15 -75s 15 options
Dalavia 6 -95s 4 options
Budget Airlines LTD 5 -95s 3 options
Transaero 10 -95s 12 options
ItAli Airlines 10 -95s 10 options
Armavia 2 -95s 2 options

[edit on 2/23/2008 by Zaphod58]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thanks, Zaph....

I'm trying to remember the original pic, the exterior...sure resembled an A320!!!

Let's just hope that they have TCAS, and understand how it works, this time!!

[added]....that was a cheap shot, and to some probably a bizarre reference to something they don't understand. The mid-air from a few years ago, was partly the flight crew, partly ATC's fault....that's all

[edit on 23-2-2008 by weedwhacker]

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Everything you could want to know about the Superjet100:

www.flightglobal.com...

It's the first time that a Russian design has been designed to meet Western standards from the outset.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Alenia is a bit like BAE or Boeing, but Italian

They are partners on the Eurofighter Typhoon and Boeing 787 amongst other things, a real high tech big hitter internationally, so they should do Sukhoi and the SSJ-100 a lot of good.

[edit on 24-2-2008 by waynos]

posted on Feb, 28 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

Flight has pictures of the engine run that were released. Still no word on a flight date.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
As far as I know...(which ain't much!)...Boeing has shied away from fly-by-wire, though not sure about the 787. Only know the 777 has FBW in the throttles, still rely on cables for flight controls.

The 777 has full FBW as far as I am aware, as will the 787.

The improvement in cruise efficiency from reduced trim drag makes it kinda a necessity.

(also something I didn't know, Boeing originally wanted to used a modified 767 to become the new 777 - bit like Airbus with the original A350. Boeing had to go back to the drawing board, as did Airbus with the 350XWB.)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Nice looking plane, quite compact.

Read also: quite a bit of room for stretched version

With Bombardier getting poised with the C-Series, the battleground for the RJ market will be getting redefined as from 149 seats down.

I would expect Embraer have their own version of the C-Series in the pipeline already.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join