It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange light over Michigan - Photos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I live in Sarnia, Ontario on Lake Huron. I have lived on the lake in the same area for 20 years and have never seen anything like this and I have looked out at the night sky thousands of times as it's a beautiful view to the Bluewater Bridge. I can easily see Michigan over Lake Huron on the other side.

These pictures were taken at 1:00 a.m. on Feb. 2. No idea what caused this light and no one else seems to either.

It's aurora-ish. Any ideas?

[edit on 3-2-2008 by Trauma]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The only thing i can think of is lightning, but lighting doesant just "stay" in the sky like that...

Actually it looks like the end of a huge cloud. Its over-cast, then the cloud ends, and you can see the sky once more

link   
The only thing i can think of is lightning, but lighting doesant just "stay" in the sky like that...

Actually it looks like the end of a huge cloud. Its over-cast, then the cloud ends, and you can see the sky once more

Just my 2 cents worth.....

link   
There was a G1 geomagnetic storm over the passed few days, this COULD also create a larger aurora circumference. Difficult to tell from the photos. But its possible I guess

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Oops double post.

Sorry

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Where was this photo taken? Was direction or major city, lake, whatever was it?

it is interesting but I have seen similiar lights like this before in South East Louisiana that would originate from the water area as I was pretty much surrounded by the Mississippi River and Gulf of Mexico, but those lights usually appeared bluish, but I would think Oil Rigs, Boats, the such would cause this if this was anywhere near the great lakes.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
man have u ever just thought that its just bright clowds duh overcast weather does strage things. and why is it that every single photo of a ufo or ufo's is either a stupid light or a really blurred out image. most ufo pics are just *SNIP* trying to make people beleive alians are on earth watching us all.... booooooooooooooooo
i mean i beleive in alians sure but they are going to be in another universe

Moderator Note: review this link on vulgarity and the Automatic censors:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Your post has been edited by:
NGC2736
Forum Moderator

[edit on 3-2-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Actually plenty aliens exist on and around earth as we speak.

its just they are not recording images or videos of the actually UFOs and are getting everything else.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by armyboyaus
man have u ever just thought that its just bright clowds duh overcast weather does strage things. and why is it that every single photo of a ufo or ufo's is either a stupid light or a really blurred out image.

The op never said anything about ufos. Trauma posted some pictures with something curious and just wants some help figuring out what it is.

My first impression is the aurora, obscured by the clouds, but visible at the bottom of the cloud deck. However, the cloud deck is very low, so could just be reflecting city lights. Nice pictures, op.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
are we looking at the two red lights? i'm pretty sure you changed the angle of your photo

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
"City glow", the accumulated light "pollution" of a populated area, reflecting off of the bottom of a low overcast.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing this photo, I never seen anything like that either and I would say it's just a solar storm aka Northern Lights, but Northern lights usually have this greenish blueish tone to it. This just look white and really have no explanation.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Seems like low cloud cover and light pollution. Note that it's not towards the right, but left, where we see ground lights/populated area.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I took these photos on the beach looking over a frozen Lake Huron and the city on the other side is Port Huron, Michigan. I used different light settings on the pictures that is why they have different colours. Each picture is a different angle.
Thanks for the responses. My best guess is particles in the clouds reflecting the city lights.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
looks like sunset to me, and its sort of daylight in the far distance of the horizon slowly turning into complete darkness, nice pic all the same

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
I took these photos on the beach looking over a frozen Lake Huron and the city on the other side is Port Huron, Michigan. I used different light settings on the pictures that is why they have different colours. Each picture is a different angle.
Thanks for the responses. My best guess is particles in the clouds reflecting the city lights.

You just answered the question, Frozen Lake huron, more then likely light reflecting off the lake is what causing those lights.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Where I live it gets foggy fairly often, this type of thing is common, in fact it gets quite bright on a foggy night because of all the reflected light.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Looks like Northern Lights to me. I have been hearing a lot in the asteroid threads about increased activity in the magnetosphere and upper atmosphere- etc. Northern Lights only visible in lower michigan during times of increased "mojo" in the upper atmospehre. Perseids asterod encounter coming up too, that puts more "dirt" in play high up.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny
"City glow", the accumulated light "pollution" of a populated area, reflecting off of the bottom of a low overcast.

I have to agree about the "city glow".

I live about 5 miles outside a medium-sized city (pop. about 85,000). Somtimes if conditions are right (low cloud cover) the lights from the city light up the low clouds enough to illuminate my back yard -- sort of like a a full moon illumination, but with amber-colored light. Other times when the clouds are high the clouds do not illuminate, and my back yard is almost pitch black.

[edit on 2/3/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Again this was taken at 1:00 a.m. so no sunset. There is a lot of different chemical plants around this area that pollute the air so I am going to accept that it is "city glow" unless I hear a better explanation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join