It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of workers abusing cows raises food safety questions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Humane Society of the United States released a video Wednesday it says shows mistreatment of "downed" cows at a California slaughterhouse -- and one lawmaker said it raises questions about the safety of the nation's food supply.

The Humane Society says the video was shot last year by an undercover investigator.

The video shows Hallmark Meat Packing Co. workers administering repeated electric shocks to downed cows -- animals that are too sick, weak or otherwise unable to stand on their own. Workers are seen kicking cows, jabbing them near their eyes, ramming them with a forklift and shooting high-intensity water up their noses in an effort to force them to their feet for slaughter.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-1-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is a disgusting example of the way big business treats its livestock. We are all connected to this and should take note of what is being done to feed us "four squares." If we have to kill animals for food, let's at least treat them with basic dignity and gratitute for their sacrifice.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The description in the snippet is excactly the reason I was total vegen for more than 15 yrs of my life. I'm not anymore, but I never eat beef.

Btw, in Europe they use bulldozers for the job described. Killing. Disgusting.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Btw, in Europe they use bulldozers for the job described. Killing. Disgusting.

I hope you don't mean that in a general sence x)

I agree there has been some nasty stories about extremely bad transportation of cattle and pigs over here. But in general, NO we do not use bulldozers for killing cattle xD

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
That lazy cow wouldn't get up, I would poke it too. **runs away as fast as possible**

This really wasn't as brutal as I expected. To be honest, that cow is probably on its way to getting its brains bashed in so it can be cut up for burger meat. Are we really that concerned with how it is treated on the way?

Please don't take this as I want or enjoy mistreating animals, because I don't. I only eat them. I don't kill them, and I am a pretty compassionate person. But if something is going to be on my plate in a month, I don't really care if it is picked up with a fork lift.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I a guess I am just far removed from the food that I eat, and probably I do this on purpose. I like Steak and burgers, and I don't want to make myself not like them.

I will listen to you all for the rest of the thread, and see if maybe my mind gets changed.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I watched the video on CNN. It was disgusting. Those people are soulless creatures. How else can you explain treating animals so terribly?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There is a proper way of doing this!

There should be no reason to have to improvise to the point of cruelness towards these animals. We have been slaughtering cows for god knows how long now.

You would think we would have it all down to a science by now.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

First off, read the article. These are methods being used to loophole FDA regulations. Downed animals aren't legal for butchery, due to health concerns. The downed cow could have some weird disease, or an injury - and in commercial farm conditions, an injured animal is an animal with a septic infection. It's to be killed, and discarded. So these farms use these "techniques" to force the animal to its feet so it will once again be "legal" for processing.

Yum yum, pusburger!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Well I guess you got me there, but I thought this was about the cruelty inflicted. Your right, I don't want to eat pussburgers. I am not trying to argue any point here, because it has been done a million times, and no one ever changes their mind. I am just giving my personal thoughts on cruelty to animals that are meant for consumption is all. Cheers!

**And silence I have been wanting to tell you, but did not want to make a 1 liner. I think your spider is scary! I wish I had the guts to do that.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by sputniksteve]

[edit on 31-1-2008 by sputniksteve]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

It's simple friend. If you eat it, then you are in the food chain. If you are in the food chain then you are involved at every stage. You can like your red meat, but at least eat it with awareness of how it gets to your plate.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It's because of the way these farms treat animals that I stopped eating meat almost a year ago unless I know it's raised in a humane fashion, without antibiotics and hormone growth drugs.

People look down on animals as if they're less than human... but humans are animals too.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Kruel

They have a lifeforce, and they are connected to us spiritually. The connection that we are able to form with animals is evidence enough of that.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silenceisall
reply to post by Kruel

They have a lifeforce, and they are connected to us spiritually. The connection that we are able to form with animals is evidence enough of that.

I had to look away from that slaughterhouse sequence this morning. It's barbaric. I don't care if these animals are potential "food", they feel pain. Period. Maybe more people should hunt and kill their own food-- at least then they might recognize and respect the sacrifice that nourishes them.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Well, from the moral angle, doesn't another living being deserve decent treatement, even up to the point of slaughter, and then to be slaughtered humanely? If we have the means to do so, we should utilize them

I would gladly pay a few bucks extra if it means my pork chop wasn't still squealing from a botched hammering while it was being processed.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I think that is really well said. I agree with everything you stated. I am going to give you a star for that Fox.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I work in agriculture (but I have no animals).

I know many operations with cows, bison, chickens, pigs etc. Most farmers and ranchers take excellent care of their animals.

If someone sees neglect it can be reported and the owner will face strict responsibility.

Not everyone in the business is bad.

That said, animals should be taken care of to the best of our ability. If there is cruelty, chances are they are likely to break laws like feed laws. This is where we could run into a health risk.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

I think the problem is more likely to be with big industrialized meatpackers. I know that most small and medium ranchers treat their animals with some dignity. The problem is the emergence of large corporate meatpackers as I see it.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
There are plenty of smaller operations. There is an alternative to everything.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It is disgusting.
I hate to see anything suffer terribly.
How would the common man like it if another race took dominion over humanity and humans were abused and slaughtered in the same fashion that we (some) do to other life forms here.
I applaud people who are vegetarians. I'm not vegetarian but eat red meat infrequently, and when I do I ony buy free-range organic or kosher because of the more humane life and death the animals experience + NO antibiotics, hormones, disease, and chemicals.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I thank god I'm vegetarian (almost vegan), and this is not in my name. Regardless, I think everyone of character can find the common ground that industrial farming requires more oversight to prevent such abuses. Those who eat meat deserve to know that it's being processed in the most humane way possible, I wouldn't settle for less if I were you.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join