It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Denies Illegal Immigrants Drivers Licenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Michigan Denies Illegal Immigrants Drivers Licenses

apnews.myway.com

The new policy also prohibits people who are legal but not permanent U.S. residents from getting licenses. Legislation to allow those on temporary work or student visas to get licenses is pending in the Legislature.

The change is aimed at complying with an opinion issued last month by Attorney General Mike Cox, who said granting licenses to illegal immigrants is inconsistent with federal law...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I happen to agree with this policy, and the last remaining states need to implement this as well. I suppose now I am going to be called a racist again. :shk:

This is an appropriate action for a lot of reasons, and one is the lack of federal action and effectiveness to enforce the borders. More and more states are waking up to the fact that if they want anything done about illegal immigration, they are going to have to do it themselves. This can been seen happening in a myriad of news stories, many of which covered on ATS, that deal with local towns and cities enacting their own local laws against it.

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22-1-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Most people have no idea anymore what illegal even means and until the leaders take a stand it's not going to get any better. Soon in Michigan you will not be getting any state help unless your a legal resident. It's about time.

mikell

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

So whats your point.. do you believe that illegals should be able to have drivers licences??????

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Wow!!! My state has done something right! This is HUGE considering the fight our Attorney General Mike Cox (real name not a joke) had overturning this (it was from a prior Attorney General who favored this). But here is something else :

The Secretary of State's office has said they are still reviewing the ruling, but that it does appear to "dovetail nicely" with their efforts to comply with the federal "REAL ID" act. This new federal act aims to make driver's licenses more secure and keep them out of the hands of would-be terrorists.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So we have a situation where no illegal immigrant can have a Drivers License but now we are open to the REAL ID...I hope Mr. Cox gets crackin and shoots this one down too.

dsam-mi.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
All I can say is thank freakin God. At least there are a few legislators with a modicum of sanity left. Perhaps there is hope for us after all. The whole idea of giving illegals driver's licenses was completely asinine.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Woo Hoo! I am in full support of this. I am sick and tired of Illegal aliens getting the same, if not better rights then legal aliens. I am all for people immigrating to the US, hell my family did back 3 generations. The difference is that we did it by the books.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by philjwolf

Deny the ignorance that abounds and read what the OP wrote in his/her post. I believe he/she quite clearly stated they were for this.

It is good to see something is really being done about illegal immigration gone overboard. I have no issues with those who work hard and take the time to become legal residents but illegals have got to go. This is simply another step to fixing some of the issues revolving around illegal immigration.

Hopefully next states will start to be more active when it comes to jobs. I have a strange feeling that a lot more Americans are going to be looking for those jobs that only seem to be qualified for illegal’s because no one else wants to do them. When it boils down to it people may not want to do the job but you may have no other choice putting food on the table is more important at times.

Raist

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
hopefully they just put a giant frickin wall up and stop this madness. in the end it wont matter how many already entered our country because you can never get all of them out. but you can stop the criminals from entering. leave iraq now and put our men and women on the border with a shoot to kill policy, because what these people are doing is an invasion.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
...and put our men and women on the border with a shoot to kill policy, because what these people are doing is an invasion.

Well I agree with the border fence, but not shoot to kill unless it's absolutely necessary in self defense. Like in the case of drug runners shooting first at the patrol agents. That's a bit different. We can't just go shoot somebody because they want a part of the American Nightmare.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
yes we can. who said we cant? these people are invading our country, taking our jobs, getting college tuition paid for when our own citizens cant even have that, free healthcare. its almost like the citizens arent citizens anymore its disgusting and no one in the government even cares. People in the government are too busy yelling about how black obama is or hillary and her fake crying antics. worry about the real situation that could possibly ruin america worse than it already is. 75% of the people that cross the border have an extensive history of violent crimes. everytime i turn on the news another illegal killed a citizen. and still no one cares.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
and to finish it off. the 9/11 terrorists were already known to have crossed the border and still they did nothing in terms of border security. will it take another terrorist attack in order for someone to get it through their lying washington skull that there is an issue on the border???? only the next terrorist attack will guarantee it.. or maybe it wont because even still washington doesnt understand when enough is enough.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Thank you Michigan!

Unlike a certain governor of New York.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I'm all for immigration in one form or another.

Its unfortunate that millions of people feel the need to come here for a better life (or send the extra cash they make back home to their families own good).

However, I think it would have been a step in the wrong direction to allow these people drivers licenses.

We are ALL immigrants and I think we need to remind ourselves that every once and a while.

In New Haven, Connecticut (my home state, but not where I reside right now) they give away ID cards to Mexican workers. I do not believe they are allowed to drive with it, but they can open bank accounts.

I think it would have been a pretty good idea on the bank's part to follow up with this as they'd make a killing off these people. I do not personally like the idea of having all my finances tracked, but I could see why those in power would love it.

I'm glad this sort of thing didn't pass.

If we're going to grant them citizenship, at least be clear on how they are going to gain access and let the American people as a whole decide what to do.

Our politicians have enough things to worry about like whether or not they're getting pension and when the next Congressional BBQ is going to be.

top topics

join