It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is going to happen when the soldiers finally come home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Some of you may be old enough to remember, first hand, what happened when the American troops in Vietnam started to come back home after their first tours. The war was only a year or two old, but the young, traumatized and often maimed troops were returning home burning with anger for having been sent off to fight an impossible war for trumped up ideological reasons. The more that returned, the more fuel that was added to the anti-war movement. Soldiers were throwing away their Purple Hearts, and making speeches in front of anti-war activists in the Capital.

This lesson has not been forgotten. Bush-Cheney are aware that bringing home 50,000 troops immediately, for example, would instantly add fuel to the Neo-Con resistance movement. What about another 50,000 for a total of 100,000? Those good young men may have been wide-eyed patriots back in 2003, but it's amazing what a couple of years of being forced to kill innocent woman and children will do to your national fervor--especially when you discover that you were led into war on false pretenses and for the sake of corporate interest groups.

My point is that the troops are being kept there to prevent them from coming home and telling us, first hand, what is going on there. When they do finally come home, there is going to be massive change in the US.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silenceisall

My point is that the troops are being kept there to prevent them from coming home and telling us, first hand, what is going on there. When they do finally come home, there is going to be massive change in the US.

I don't doubt ya there and am quite sure there will be change of massive proportions for the US.

I often wonder what person in their right mind would voluntarily join up now after these wars. Alot of people I know in the armed forces, some not even directly impacted by the present wars, are refusing to re-enlist after they serve out their time. And I can't help but feel like a proud mother.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I think it is worthwhile comparing the Vietnam war with Iraq. It is true that most of those who went to Vietnam were drafted and possibly passifist to start with. But then I would argue that, while Vietnam was a terrible and useless war, it could at least be defended from an ideological standpoint. The US didn't go over there to open up Walmarts and make its engineering and oil companies rich. It went there to draw a line in the global sand against Communism. Say what you will about that, it is not on the same level as the pure greed and evil of the Iraq war. So...while the soliers in Iraq may have enlisted voluntarially, they have been duped and used in the most dispicable way...far worse then the soldiers of Vietnam.

Then we could get into a discussion about all the mercs over there. These guys probably had problems to start with. Imagine what they will be like when they get back from their killing holiday. I shudder.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
What also worries me is that the US is heading into a pretty serious recession, and there will be very little money to treat these guys, both physically and psychologically. They deserve to be taken care of, but there will be very limited resources.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think a lot of the guys that come back will remain loyal---to the country. I don't know if "massive" changes will occur but I'm sure there will be some. I keep reading articles about these men/women coming back and what they've experienced and there are virtually no places for them too go. It's very few, but, one problem with is that if they go get help, they think of themselves as being "weak". I don't think we are going into a major recession; once the lenders "come out", take their losses, we'll move on and the economy, especially the market will show an upturn. I think a bigger question to all of this is, what happens to Iraq and those countries when the troops leave. If you've seen the pics of whats happening there, I'm sure you understand.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisJr03

I would agree that many will remain loyal to the United States and will still want to defend the things they thought they were fighting for. I do think, however, that they will be very suspicious and angry at the corporations and old-Washington crowd that was so eager to sacrafice them for profit (think about it...you killed for a cause that you thought was good, only to discover that it was a sham and you took someone's life for an evil motive). These soldiers should be cared for, but the truth is that the current US Gov. does not give a damn about them once they get home, and has been cutting corners in their care--a disgrace.

I think you are off as far as the US economy goes. The debt and continued war spending will continue to drive the economy down, not to mention the mortgage crisis, and other swindles we are now finding out that the banks pulled off. Another massive cut to the interest rate will only continue to devalue the USD. That means inflation....it's a mess. Better hope the Clintons have a plan.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
"But then I would argue that, while Vietnam was a terrible and useless war, it could at least be defended from an ideological standpoint. The US didn't go over there to open up Walmarts and make its engineering and oil companies rich. It went there to draw a line in the global sand against Communism."

And where was this sentiment when the war in Vietnam was going on? Most of the protesters were too busy calling the troops "butchers", and "How many kids did you kill for LBJ today?"

Too many people today still have the attitude today that was pushed on them during Vietnam. Every Vet coming back home is a trained killer just looking for someone to shoot. The "crazed Vietnam Veteran" excuse. Just look back in the newspapers. Some guy robs a 7-11 and if he was there, they'd have it in the paper. Nothing like, "Joe Blow, who was never in Vietnam, robbed a 7-11 today".

"These soldiers should be cared for, but the truth is that the current US Gov. does not give a damn about them once they get home, and has been cutting corners in their care--a disgrace."

Current administration? Let me clue you in on something: NONE of the administrations give a crap about Vets after the war is over. I'm not a big fan of his, but read "Born on the Fourth of July" by Ron Kovic. That was Vietnam and the VA system he had to deal with when he got back home.

Walter Reed was a mess PRIOR to Bush taking office; don't leave that at his door. Blame him, Clinton, Bush Sr, Reagan, Carter, etc, etc, etc.

Better hope the Clintons have a plan.

Why? Why should I put my faith in them? I wasn't too impressed with Bill when he was in office. For someone that didn't like the military too much, he sure loved to use us. Bosnia, Kosovo, Kuwait, etc.

I'm sure they can raise money for themselves thru Chinese donors or selling pardons. That's not going to help me.

Troops over there just want to get the job done right and go home. Just like troops in every war. I seriously doubt that the first thing they want to do is protest the war. Wanna know what my first thought was when my wife picked me up at the airport????

top topics

join