It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 61
<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   

You mean a 350 meter rock passing by the Earth at 1.2 LD can do all this? Now it's all getting beyond bizarre! Doomsday pundits have really started having a field day! And we're all falling hook, line, and sinker for these end-of-the-world scenarios.

Let's be realistic and not fall over the edge!

Yes, well I'm just sayin' how I sees them. It's interesting that we hear this from a Russian other than say, American or British Scientists.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:01 AM
link   
NEAR EARTH OBJECTS DYNAMIC SITE (NEODyS)

Observation prediction for 2007TU24

Astrometric Observation Prediction
For 2008/01/29 11:51:00 (UTC); 54494.49375(MJD)
Observatory code= 0500

RA= 04:09:01.593 (HH:MM:SS); 62.25664 (deg)
DEC= +68 04 47.18 (deg min sec); 68.07977 (deg)
RA/DEC Apparent motion= 25306.84 7286.13 (arcsec/hour)

Earth distance= 0.0038 (AU)

Solar elongation= -114.49 (deg)
Apparent magnitude= 10.46
Size and orientation of 1-sigma uncertainty ellipse
Short axis : Size= 1.78895 (arcsec); Direction= -0.60585 0.79558
Long axis : Size= 35.4824 (arcsec); Direction= 0.79558 0.60585

0.0038 AU is a long way off!

Cheers!

NEODyS

[edit on 26-1-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by tartlebone
Could a fly by like this really cause earthquakes, and deadly storms?

No.

It's complete make believe. Even if everything we think we know about astrophysics is wrong and this tiny bit of rock really is negatively charged the worst case scenario is that the effect of Earth's vastly stronger positive charge would mean the asteroid disintegrates. Effect on Earth will be nil.

Unfortunately some people think it's fun to make up stuff like this and post it on the internet hoping it'll cause concern and distress to others

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Just looking through the electron count i found this at 10.15 pm aust time

www.ips.gov.au...

I have an idea but would like opinions on this chart.... I will be bookmarking and watching this from here on in to monitor changes............ looks fairly hectic in NW Aus right now.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

Yup, I think that's where the sun is currently passing over. If it were like that on the 29th where there's no sunlight, I'd be packing my bag...

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Space distances are huge when compared to earth distances. Even though the Earth and the Asteroid appear to overlap, if zoomed in they are thousands of miles away from each other. The conspiracy theorists always leave out the exacting little details just to stir up interest...

The negative charge concept is interesting though, but the object is too small to cause a big problem. Now if it was the size of the Moon, yeah we'd better worry about it coming even hundreds of thousands of miles away from Earth.

I think Earth would be lost in that event... Or Earth as we "like" it would be lost.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

From someone "on the coal face".. all I can say is I'll let you know..... Maybe

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

I wasnt even paying attention to the page just opened it and was reading thgis stuff here and went to look at color and it was red. It was green when I first opened it yet now its Bright red. So not sure what all will happen but something if it wont stay away from the red. I even closed it and reopened it a few times and same thing Red.

Hilda

www.mondovista.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Not to cause panic, but, this graph clearly shows an increase.

(you may have to scroll down to it, but, the rest of the info is interesting also.)

NUMBER OF NEOS

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Guys,

Appreciate this is a conspiracy forum but this conversation is CRAZY!

Firstly, these objects pass us on a very regular basis. There is no proof whatsoever of them doing any harm unless there is a direct impact.

Secondly, this object is NOT going to hit us. Nobody has provided anything credible to suggest otherwise.

Third, in human history people have always made a drama about objects from "the sky". Very rarely do they come to anything.

Time to rationalise people.. 61 pages of sci-fi-pseduo-science is amazing even for here.

I'm reminded of Chicken Little and "The sky is falling" from when I was a child reading this!

Come on.. lets all just accept - its going to whiz by, someone will spot it in a telescope and that'll be that.

Got to be far more pressing stories to investigate than this non-event?

Apologies, not trying to have a go at people, sure some firmly believe what they're saying.. just trying to add some balance!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siren
Not to cause panic, but, this graph clearly shows an increase.

(you may have to scroll down to it, but, the rest of the info is interesting also.)

NUMBER OF NEOS

Of course it does, we're increasingly investing in technology, processes and people for detecting these. Seek and ye shall find!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by phoenix103

Excellent ! I will sleep better tonight (Certainly didn't want to distract you from whatever has been maintaining your interest)... I guess this one is debunked.
(unless you live down here)
Cheers
Mungo

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
For those of you following the egg timer, did you not read the not-so-fine print on the page? Basically you cannot go off of what it says because it is kinda like for entertainment purposes. And you thought you could tell that an asteroid would crash into Earth from that

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mungodave

Excellent ! I will sleep better tonight (Certainly didn't want to distract you from whatever has been maintaining your interest)... I guess this one is debunked.
Cheers
Mungo

I'm pleased to hear it!

Seriously though, if someone (anyone) wants to provide a credible theory with some reliable evidence i'm all ears (hence my interest) but as yet there has been precious little of that!

All will be "revealed" in a few days I guess, then we'll see wether the theorists were right or wrong. As a betting man, I know where my money would lie!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix103

Originally posted by mungodave

Cheers
Mungo

I'm pleased to hear it!

Seriously though, if someone (anyone) wants to provide a credible theory with some reliable evidence i'm all ears (hence my interest) but as yet there has been precious little of that!

All will be "revealed" in a few days I guess, then we'll see wether the theorists were right or wrong. As a betting man, I know where my money would lie!

There has been precious little because people are wanting to believe something bad will happen and relying on colored dots!
I just wonder, if this thing simply passes by us (and I say if because anything is always possible, heck there could be a unicorn in my yard right now) are all of the people saying its going to impact going to be ready for the I-told-you-so's?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juicy
There has been precious little because people are wanting to believe something bad will happen and relying on colored dots!
I just wonder, if this thing simply passes by us (and I say if because anything is always possible, heck there could be a unicorn in my yard right now) are all of the people saying its going to impact going to be ready for the I-told-you-so's?

Agreed! I'm always open to new theories and suggestions but they have to have some basis in fact! This whole thing is just people in a feeding frenzy over what they'd probably LIKE to see happen.

I guess its easy to get sucked in sometimes but threads like this certainly need a healthy dose of sceptics to keep people's feet on the ground!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I don't understand why anyone would "like" for an asteroid to hit. I would like to see my kids grow up!

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

No one said we are relying on colored dots. Holy crap that is the most stupidest thing so far. For crying out loud, we are going by the fact that #1 NASA hasnt changed a dang thing even though they were suppose to have, That means to me something isnt right. Yet Harvard has it at a closer range then NASA.

Yep something smells rotten about the whole thing then we have the same folks coming in here saying not to worry. I cant help but think about another thread when I see close to 20 posts from the same person saying BS NASA says so, so its true it will miss. Yep it does make me think of that other thread. And I have noticed someone posted around 30 times in here saying the same stuff. Stating NASA is correct no ands if or buts about it.

Most people that dont believe in something like this would go onto another thread and leave this one be. But nope the same folks keep right on saying it over and over again. Its rubbish because NASA knows. Strange how NASA shows us as well that they were around before Jesus? Yet I guess you believe that to.

Am I saying it will hit no I am not, but I am saying there isnt enough proof out there to prove it either way. Two places say we have a 50/50 chance yet NASA says hell NO it will be to far away. Yet Harvard shows it being much closer. And yet NASA also admits its got to much Wobble to be able to track it correctly. Make your own decisions is all I can say but either way there isnt crap we can do about it.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
So if you say there isn't anything we can do about it, why worry yourself with it? I came to this board with a strong inclination that it would hit. And now that I have gotten numerous opinions and information, my belief is that it will not hit. You say Harvard has it set in that it will come much closer, but does Harvard have the equipment and resources that NASA has? I don't believe so. Have I ruled out my own conspiracy theories with common sense? Yes. There is no need to get your panties in a bunch just because you don't like it when someone has a different opinion than yours.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by hildar

Well as of this minute (13:13 UTC) that little dot is bright red, like my favourite colour of smarties (or m&m's, which are similar I guess). It's been that way for around an hour now I guess. However, I don't see how this dot thing actually serves any useful purpose. From what I've read on that site it's an arbitrary visual representation based upon statistical collection of randomly-generated numbers. The whole thing seems pretty vague to me so how it's supposed to relate to consciousness I don't know. Be glad if anyone can enlighten me.

Meanwhile I'll be stubborn and hold to the belief that nothing is going to happen to us as a result of that passing asteroid. We've had many go by before and some much closer, with no apparent ill effects. This stuff about its charge is just scaring people for no reason.

Just my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join