It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Petition for new Consciousness Forum

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I agree completely. Without the open exchange of idea's from all sides of the table, this potential forum will turn into a pointless exercise in ego stroking.

It actually sounds like this idea is taking flight and we may very well have this board!

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
sounds great to me i'll be in it if it comes around

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by InSpiteOf
I agree completely. Without the open exchange of idea's from all sides of the table, this potential forum will turn into a pointless exercise in ego stroking.

I won't be attending that forum anytime soon InSpiteOf mate, as you can bet two 'numptys' that we know will turn up and question every bodies intelligence compared to theirs, for being less enlightened. You know who I mean

Dae

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Hmm, Skyfloating are you advocating a new board for BTS? 'Cos what you are asking for is there already, just like my mind control is covered in skunk works :p I ask you to read me post again, for I gave great examples of what I was talking about. Mind control or thought manipulation should be discussed in terms of adverts, consumerism, belief structures etc not just MKUltra stuff.

Ive jumped on this thread because I have always felt that ATS (remember this is a conspiracy site not a self-help group) is missing a mind/psychology section and maybe with this petition we can finally get one.

biggie smalls, they havnt shut this thread and directed you to the 'other' thread... a good sign!

Edit: grr keyboard had coffee accident

[edit on 18/1/08 by Dae]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dae

yeah I get it now. Sorry for misunderstanding.

In any case, we all wanna talk more about psycho-spiritual aspects of life as they are more relevant to the conspiracy-topic as many may suspect.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Arawn,

I do hope everyone posting treats everyone else with the upmost respect in regards to their opinions and personal beliefs. However, I cannot guarantee that everyone (myself included as I get a bit heated at times and opinionated for sure heh) will behave appropriately all the time. You can check the 'courtesy is mandatory' thread in the business forum to see that no area on ATS is exclusive to rudeness et all.

I also hope that no one think themselves better than anyone else due to a different opinion or perceptions about reality. We need challenging discussions from all sides of the table, naysayers and skeptics included.

I would appreciate your input on this subject as you seem to be well versed in such material. Do not think your opinion is mute and I look forward to further discussion with you on the matter.

Dae,

It does seem that way doesn't it?

masqua,

I would agree that psychology would be covered in such a forum. However, this is not exclusive to the studies of psychology.

In general, the field of psychology is pretty set in their ways, and we would be discussing a fairly controversial subject.

"Consciousness" as it exists now tends to be defined as an extension of normal brain functioning, which I do not believe it to be (solely from the brain that is).

Psychology (from Jung's standpoint) does include the conscious and unconscious elements, but I believe we'd be focusing on making the unknown known (therefore the 'conscious' elements).

Does that make any sense?

So...Psychology could and would be discussed, but only in the frame of reference of Consciousness as a wide-arching experience and not solely from a psychological standpoint.

The mind, body, soul etc would be covered.

I do not want to break any T&C rules so the discussion of drugs would be left out in such a forum. There is no reason that mind-altering substances should be included.

I appreciate your support, but I think we need to expand the discussion from Psychology to include broader ideas.

Again, nothing is set in stone so as a whole we should discuss our options.

Thank you all for the support as well as criticisms. You are all helping shape and mold this topic for the better.

[edit on 1/18/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
I do not want to break any T&C rules so the discussion of drugs would be left out in such a forum. There is no reason that mind-altering substances should be included.

I disagree but understand that we cannot talk about certain issues as it is a violation of the TAC. Considering our interpretation of reality is so dependant on an ever changing chemistry in the brain, I see mind-altering substances at the foreground for conciousness expansion and discussion.

However, as I prefaced this post, such discussion walks a very fine line and is largely in violation of the TAC.

I initially brought it up because I believe it to be a very important issue (knowing fully that it would not get very far) that needs to be discussed.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

I agree although the line is so thin that the first topic discussed would surely cross that line.

All discussion of legalizing illicit substances is irrelevant in my opinion to an ever expanding consciousness.

While 'mind-expanding' substances may work in the short term, as a long term expansion they prove futile.

Look at all the homeless drug addicts in San Francisco. Many of them were 'hippies' and drug experimenters in the 60s and 70s. Now they barely scrape by.

Its an interesting topic, but I think we need to leave it out and face more 'serious' discussion...

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Add me to the list. I've always wanted that separation too. I like the topics like OBE's and lucid dreaming but ghostly topics seem to be a whole different subject.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by roodyp4364

ghostly topics are just scratching the surface. It bothers me when they talk about ghosts or this conciousness stuff on tv they always gotta attribute creepyness to it. We fear everything we don't understand, thats where fear stems from anyway, so I guess that would make sense right?

I have a freind who has like 4 different ghosts that just bother her all the time, she can talk to them and stuff, I guess they feel in debt to her or something. Anyways, she managed to get certain info from them which isn't really common knowledge, and she managed to confirm that they were real people. That's pretty interesting.

Doesn't sound so creepy to me. Just sounds like greatful guests that don't leave.

Another interesting thing about her is that a university did a study on her.. not sure which one.. one in south carolina? Anyways... they studied her brain and found that her brain used different pathways then a normal brain. A more efficient route perhaps
. And the spark of brain energy (conciousness?) that can operate the human body more efficiently.

If you've ever meditated for pro-longed periods, it will feel like your head is swimming... perhaps finding more efficient pathways?

I believe this is what evolution is.. Conciousness knows it needs the body to adapt, and so through energy/thought it makes the necessary adjustments.

A well known idea is that you can increase your psychic awareness by focusing on the senses like touch and hearing. I believe when we push the senses to the limits and still demand more from them, that where our energy tries to find a solution.. like developing an extra sense

I believe this is why certain people are born "sensitive" but wouldn't consider themselves psychic. I think this is just like people who have spent a life as a forest ranger or something like that... a hunter.. and they have developed the extra sense. Call it what you want...evolution..survival..awareness..

Anyways... ghosts, it scratches the surface.. Conciousness is real. I have had my own visions/dreams/predictions when I was younger, in vivid detail, and I have watched them all come true so far. If this is all controlled by my brain.. how does it know so vividly about stuff that hasn't even happened yet? That would mean a lump of choloestorol and water understands the very fabric of space-time. Even if it was our brain doing that, that's pretty amazing eh?

EDITED TO REMOVE THE MANY EMOTICONS, haha

[edit on 18-1-2008 by CavemanDD]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
All discussion of legalizing illicit substances is irrelevant in my opinion to an ever expanding consciousness.

Irrelevant it is. Hear here!

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I believe consciousness needs to be experienced (felt) rather than observed.

Any worthwhile discussion on the matter tends to be buried under ghost, demon, angel, and other material that, while paranormal, does not deal with consciousness in the context I would like to study.

As I've said before, the research forum only allows a small percentage of ATS users to participate. This topic needs to be studies on a wide scale with a wide range of people.

Everyone (and everything) is conscious to one extent or another, so this is something personally relevant to all ATS users.

This is a study that needs to be focused on experiential learning (Go figure, I'm a kinesthetic learner) and would expand on a needs-based system.

This should be an ever expanding and evolving topic. I feel that paranormal tends to be covering similar topics over and over again, with no real change in subject matter.

I also want to point out that the "Higher Light" thread is one of the most successful threads in the history of ATS and certainly in the paranormal forum.

We are exploring facets of ourselves that are not typically discussed in the 'real world' for various reasons.

When serious discussion about the nature of humans comes up, science immediately attacks the credibility of experience.

I do not believe the scientific method is something that should be used in an ever-evolving arena.

Paranormal studies covers such a wide range of topics. I feel that consciousness is not being given its dues and attention.

What is consciousness?

Global consciousness project

Consciousness

Mystery of Consciousness

There are serious studies being undertaken at Princeton and Stanford (see above) among other places.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Add-on:

There are other website-forums for these topics on the internet, but we love ATS and want to discuss it at ATS

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Too true. No site has board software this good.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Thank you SkyFloating, I almost forgot that part eh

There are plenty of places researching this sort of thing already, but we would like a chance as a group to explore.

Is there anyone else who would like to suggest some ideas or any other comments, criticism included?

We're still on the ground floor of this with no structure in place so everything is open for discussion.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

nah, i can't think of anything.

But if this forum gets going I think we should do some group conciousness tests.

Its like... say it requires...20 energy (if you could give it a number), to lift a pencil or something... but for those who aren't trained enough to do such things, only like 3 energy trickles through.. but if you had 8 people all trying to do it.. you would have enough. Thats just my theory how these things work.

We should try out tests like this. I saw your post biggie, you or stever, you tried to get something going like this a while ago, its too bad there wasn't much enthusiam at the time. It would be a good test.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Great idea actually and I support it. Hope it works out!

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Add my digital signature to the petition! Matters of the mind are clearly "alternative topics" and recent headlines have further demonstrated how the mind is central to many conspiracy theories.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

right, I mean... These conspiracy theories are all mind games anyway...

Even more reason why a forum about the mysteries of the mind/conciousness would be a good one. I was trying to work that in some how but you beat me to it.

All of this is completely relevant to conspiracy theories.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Many things which I enjoy discussing would fall into this category, so I support this idea.

Only gripe is that there are soooo many categories on ATS already. As it is now I just look at recent posts rather than browsing individual forums.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join