It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultists Taking Over ATS!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
For some reason it only took one sentence from that Saviour in he flesh thread for me to just stay the heck out of it.

Now on the other one once it took me to two web sites and the advertisement for books that did it for me.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
".....you can't be selective if someone just isn't selling your brand of crazy. "
I LOVE that! I might even make it my tagline, or something like that. However, I do beg to differ. I think they can be as selective as they wish, since it is their site.

Also, I actually looked at the first linked thread in the OP's first post and I couldn't get past the 1st paragraph without hitting the back button.
I cannot read those posts. But, just because I'm not into that kind of crap doesn't mean that someone else isn't. Whatever..you know?

Just don't read or participate in those threads and you'll be cool. There's a lot of other threads that are just as interesting to you as the other brand of crazy is to those other people.

I don't think anything is "taking over" here.

There was a time when I thought that the John Lear stuff was taking over and I really didn't even log in to ATS for a long time because of the tomfoolery around with that. But, thankfully, it's came and since died down. I'm sure these others will too.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

This is self assumed paranoid thinking. I've seen titles such as this thread include a grand range of people or groups assumed to be "taking over" ATS.

People obsess and try to catagroize people.

Not being objective, they assume groups of people to be in a "group"...

I've seen other posters say "extreamest religious", "Jews", and many many more falsely assumed groups "taking over ATS".

Mod edit. I'm sure your Daddy(God himself) wouldn't want you talking in this manner.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by uplander

Thanks, all my work is public domain so feel free.

I hope I didn't come across as one trying to ban this type of post (or any post), quite the opposite.
I just feel that other posts with questionable subject matter are quickly dismissed while those regarding religion tend to be treated with kid gloves, so as to not (I'm assuming) offend anyone.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Incarnated

Whoa, back up there. I'm not being paranoid. Categorizing...maybe, but you're being too critical of my post. I'm trying to just make a statement about the increase in these types of threads telling people something w/o anything to back it up, and collecting followers who believe for no reason other than 'he/she says so'.

I'm not obessing. I'm not being paranoid. I don't think they're ACTUALLY taking over ATS. And 'extremist', as you'll notice, doesn't have an 'a' in it.

So basically, lighten up a bit, and take the message in whole. You're over-analyzing it.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   

okay, so not paranoid, but still...

I might be classified by you as a spiritual nut. You may percieve I have nothing to "back it up" with, but it all depends upon the person.

That was my point. I've seen several people try to convince others in posts that the "jewish hidden world control" or what ever, was running not only the media but the internet too.

^^^^^Absurd Crazyness!

We are all here on ATS because the website is cool. We have to put up with one another. This is my point.

As 2012 comes around, you're sure to see a rise in a few types of beliefs.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
While I will agree that there is some serious enthusiastic posters and might seem a bit like your local neighborhood church missionary going door to door....

But that is where ignoring them comes in to play. Sometimes all I have to do is read the title. Other times, I just have to read the first few lines, roll my eyes
, let out a little snicker
...and find something else to read. And sometimes, I like to challenge them by asking shmart arse questions. LOL

Thats one reason why I always select recent posts. That way I can easily sort thru what I am interested in.

Plus, what is that saying: "What is one man's garbage, is another man's treasure"

[edit on 4-1-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I know some of my posts taken out of context could be askewed into appearing cult like.

Have you ever seen a geek or fanboy argue over say a story, character or plot in comic books, movies, books, or games?

Well thats what I do, except its the Bible instead of Lord of the Rings or Star Wars. To me there is a lot of speculation, say like Boba Fett's non canonical adventures from Star Wars. Canon on the other hand doesnt have room for that. I see things the same way.

I point out plot holes and non canon in various mythologies and stories.
Like Star Wars and Lord the Rings, the Bible has lots of fan fiction. Alot of the New Age, 2012, Reptoid, UFO cult mess to me falls into the category of fan fiction.

Hopefully at times I have brought intelligent discussion or at least humorous conjecture to the forums.

If religious people would hold dear their canon like a fanboy does Star Trek or Lord of the Rings, the world might be a better place,
ok it probably would not. Ever seen two Rabbis argue over an interpretation of another Rabbis interpretation of something written 2500 years ago?

Rabbis and Philosophers, the orginal Geeks.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   

who can be absolutely certain that there are Cults making membership drives here on ATS.

it sounds like your connecting dots and making the result look like a concerted effort by a cadre of Cult members to recruit people
~or at least spark interest in their Cult message~

the few threads which are spoooky/religious in content
don't necessarily make a Cult...

Those threads only appears to be someone on their Soap-Box,
voicing their opinion or worldview...
that doesn't sound like Cult activity to me.
besides i like picking apart their supporting arguements & safetynet they have created for their psyche & belief system

more fringe viewpoints i say !

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I feel your pain, some of the threads authors are walking a pretty close to the insanity border. I think threads like the ones you linked to get flagged because people want to see what happens. When someone comes on and says Jesus is channelling through me, it makes you want to see where it is going to lead. Purely entertainment for most, but there are always going to be people that will want to believe what is being said.

The simple fact is we dont know anything for sure, we dont know if what someone is saying is true or not, in this crazy world anything is possible. I remember watching a show about bigfoot and this lady in Oklahoma was saying that a bigfoot family has been close friends with her family for generations. She said they come and get garlic from them all the time, she showed the cameras how they run, how the talked in a deep voice. She was crazy as hell, I mean a real whacko, however for whatever reason I thought man what if she is telling the truth. I really doubted it being as she showed major signs of mental illness, but what if.

I think the best thing to do is just take some of this stuff with a grain of salt. If you seek proof, ask for it, if you want to post a smart arse comment post it. But then you should bite your tongue, or bite your fingers rather and let it go. It isnt worth focusing your attention and energy on something that you know in your mind is BS. Move on to something else.

I found this site looking for some truth in this crazy world, however in finding the truth there is always a little time for a laugh always time for a little entertainment. That is all some of these threads are at heart is fiction with the author behind either mentally ill, practicing for an idea for a novel, or some kid looking for attention because mom and dad dont give him/her the time of day.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Darn straight we cults are taking over...all hail the almighty budweiser beer god!

Truth be told a lot of what we all talk about can scare a great many people. so much so they react by falling back on religion to explain what no one seems to have real answers for... Of course once that line is crossed peoples beliefs start to clash and the whole thing digresses into a debate over who's right and who need to be burned at the stake...

Now back to my beer church and the plethora of naked dancing girls...
who ever said religion was bad for ya?

[edit on 4-1-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

To BigBert:
You brought up this word, char·is·mat·ic in your second post on this thread. It reminds me of the Charismatic Renewal movement in the Catholic Church. It is kind of like the catholic answer to the pentacostals. About 26 years ago, I was going out with a Irish Catholic girl in California, named Bridget. At the Catholic church, in this town where we lived, they had their own service on Sunday afternoons, just for the Charismatic Renewal people. She was involved in the Mass, by playing guitar and singing, also doing the reading. She invited me to come to these and I felt like I was supporting her by attending, even though I am not Catholic. She also went to a prayer meeting in a class room on the church grounds, on Wednesday nights. She told me to come along. The meetings were run by a local doctor and his wife. People were speeking in tounges and prophesying, in this setting. After a few times of my going, I had this spirit of prophesy come up inside and I had this "message to My People" that I felt compelled to give. I did not feel comfortable with this and decided not to get involved. Aparently my friend,Bridget, wecomed it, and the next time I was at one of these meetings, there she was prophesying away.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
actually, this place is a microcosym of the planet. differing people
with differing opinions. interesting really. some make valid points.
some step out of their shoes to belittle. some simply curious. some
are keyboard dictators. ha ha ha, just like my neighborhood!!

i find it all interesting indeed!!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

CREEEEEEPY!

That is funny how you felt compelled to share the message after sounding like you were kind of reluctant to be there in the first place. I suppose there really is a strange feeling when you're around uber-believers. I've been there, and I think I know the type of atmosphere you're describing.

I wonder, what is it that makes people strive so hard to believe in one thing without even considering the possibility that they might be wrong?

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
i gotta disagree with original poster...if anything Cults are at least something we can discuss at length with results and frames of reference...its the UFO/Reptilian/Grey thing that s been beat to death.....with no current or new evidence its kinda silly and amounts to nothing more than fantasy discussion.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
OP = epic fail... gtfo

Mod Note: How Not To Be Banned From ATS – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1/4/2008 by Gools]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Unless the reptilian shape-shifter believers can be defined as a cult, than I would have to disagree with the OP.
BTW you could probably find much better threads on occultism and freemasonry that would prove your point.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Creepy could describe it. Just un-comfortable is how I might describe it. It bothered me enough to stop seeing this girl, alltogether. I guess the point I am trying to make is that cults exist because they work! Best to stay away from them. The cult people count on it, that if you show up and are exposed to it enough, you can fall under the spell. Could be that they are spreading their magic on the internet. Could be that they think if you read enough of their writings, you will be influinced. I will not say that it is impossible.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Trauma

Fair enough, I can see your point, but I'm referring to 'cultists', not 'occultists'. And I don't know if I can consider Freemasonry really a 'cult'. Maybe....

I'm talking in this thread more about, as I've thought I had expressed, that the problem I'm having has to do with these completely ridiculous threads collecting 'believers'. For example Satan being in league with the U.S. and teaching us this technology (which I suppose couldn't be shown until now). I'm saying that a post like that that keeps getting flagged is leaning in the direction of cult-like. Or at least that's MY impression.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dEWBiE300E
OP = epic fail... gtfo

Awww yeah, that's it. Join ATS and make this your first post. I can see we have yet another Einstein in the bunch.

BTW, with a name like Dewbie, I don't consider MYSELF the 'Epic Fail'.

Boy, I'm sure we'll have a lot more brilliant comments coming from you in the future.

[edit on 1/4/2008 by bigbert81]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join