It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alert! US Crude hits $100, Gold reaches new record

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
WE should start a list on why the prices of eveything is out of control

If you mean food and goods in the stores, then thats easy...everything is transported to market from manufacturer by oil-fuelled trucks, if the cost of transporting those goods increases, so does the price of the goods for sale at at market...

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
It's a short list. 1. INFLATION.

Oil is priced in Dollars at the moment. That is a big part of the reason for the increase. It's not that oil or gold is becoming worth so much more, it's that the dollar is becoming worth less.

This is just the beginning. The printing presses have been pounding away for some time now. As the fake money hits the system it devalues the money already out there. But your wages will not follow. The government has been taxing us this way since 1913. Most people are so indoctrinated that they think inflation is something natural. It's not. It's Unconstitutional and extremely corrupt.

The Banks and the Government benefit while we suffer the consequences of their Greed and War making.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!! the gas will raise at the pump and then along with the credit card crunch and over holiday spending regular joes will feel the crunch one way or the other.

I see a increase on small car sales by the time the summer comes around, but with so much credit woes, housing struggles and bad credit many will just have ride their gas hogger and cut their fast food stops to save for gas.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Alexander Jackson was the first President to fight the Bankers, and also the first to face assassination. Lincoln printed his own money while the Bankers in Europe railed against him. JFK, with Executive Order 11110, returned the right to print our own money and proceeded to print United States Notes backed by Silver in Fort Knox.

"The Fed is exactly what Karl Marx called for in the fifth plank of his Communist Manifesto... The founders of the United States certainly had no intention of allowing the federal or state governments to issue paper money. Never in their wildest dreams did they envisage creating a privately run central bank with vast powers to inflate and manipulate our nation's currency and credit... Inflation sets the stage for the rise of a tyrant...

www.publiccentralbank.com...

The thing that is happening to our nation was forseen by the forefathers. It is not an accident.

No Congress, no President has been strong enough to stand up to the foreign-controlled Federal Reserve Bank. Yet there is a catch - one that President Kennedy recognized before he was slain - the original deal in 1913 creating the Federal Reserve Bank had a simple backout clause. The investors loaned the United States Government $1 billion. And the backout clause allows the United States to buy out the system for that $1 billion. If the Federal Reserve Bank were demolished and the Congress of the United States took control of the currency, as required in the Constitution, the National Debt would virtually end overnight, and the need for more taxes and even the income tax, itself. Thomas Jefferson was concise in his early warning to the American nation, "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

sonic.net...

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Food prices rise because the cost to produce them is going way way up. People have had cheap food for far too long.

Check out the increase in the price of fertilizers for starters....

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Inflation affects Everything. I think fertilizers would fall under that heading.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I think we are greedy, people want to keep up with the Joneses, we live beyond our means to do it.

And what about this house flipping, house flipping drives the price of real estate up,

I wont pretend to know much about this
www.missoulian.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zoltan

Originally posted by cpdaman

GOLD IS GOING UP this appears to be a LOCK! . BETTER BUY IT IN JEWELRY, so they can't take it, if the civil unrest reaches a boiling point

[edit on 2-1-2008 by cpdaman]

You are joking, right?

For one thing, gold, as a commodity (which is what you are probably referring to with the 'going up' phrase), is NOT a "lock".

Secondly, please don't even THINK about buying gold jewelry as an investment. If you have to hold gold, get buillion. Don't think that any gold jewelry will re-sell at the going futures price of gold on the COMEX because it won't. It'll be bought back as scrap-gold at a fraction of the price you'd buy it today.

actually i was...............NOT

look at the dollar index chart. the dollar is not going to have a meaningful bounce i.e it is not going back above 80 or 79 for that matter.

most likely it will slowly fall back down into the low 70's. combined with risk premiums rising , more people will opt to hold onto real money or real tangible assets i.e not paper certificates. gold in $ should approach 1000 by year end. sure you want to buy on a dip but it shouldn't dip below 775 unless there is some kind of deflationary collapse, where by everything would lose price nominally (gold included) before rising back up as people rush into "real money".

there is a serious risk for a severe recession and our banking system is being sold to foreigners (S.W.F's) because they are practically insolvent and need capital! also if people couldn't tell the neo-cons mine as well be called the NEO fascists. and we have at least one running among dem and republicans (i.e H.C and R.G)

the structure of our economy is being modeled toward fascism , these public-private partnerships are laying the ground work for a more corporate/politican governing roles. as well as an erosion of the middle class.

gold was confiscated once before, and while i'm not saying this is LIKELY, civil unrest in this country may get bad toward the end of the year and well imagine getting your's confiscated...ugly, do not think that having valuable 22k -24k gold jewelry or ornaments is a bad investment, alot of quality pieces w/ very high gold content will have good resale value i.e (85%). not the 14 or 18k "crap"

of course investing in FOREX mkts in areas with growing economy's and/or undervalued currency's is also a decent idea, and that would point you toward ASIA and the YUAN as well as the YEN.

i think later this year many investors will also do well if they still have job security because the potential is real for a consumer slow down to lead to job losses and then this cycle could get ugly. the reality is that our economy is based on available credit/debt , and we are a service economy now , we should figure out soon enough how this "set up" was not going to be a endless honeymoon.

p.s one reason for rising food prices is global demand for goods is rising faster than supply , also thanks to monsanto wiping out small farmers, not to mention speculators driving up the prices of commodities such as soy, corn, wheat (also ethanol used for alt. energy) is driving up prices for food's w/ corn as an ingredient.

stocks should not "crash" IMO in 2008 and they will probably fart around the 12,000 level, intrest rates going down to 3% should help support them in a otherwise unfavorable earnings enviornment and the bond market looks ugly as well.

* what does one get when they combine a weakening currency, falling home values, a worsening credit crunch, and a predominantly service economy = well if they are not sharp, they will be lulled into complaceny thanks to the lag time , if they are sharp they won't be shocked by the lower standard of living that is coming for the majority*

[edit on 4-1-2008 by cpdaman]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
Inflation affects Everything. I think fertilizers would fall under that heading.

Nitrogen fertilizer prices have been high for several months now. In some cases, the price has gone up 50 percent or more.

Source

The composite fertilizer price increased 113 percent between 2000 and 2007, led by gains in nitrogen prices. During this 7-year period, the price of ammonia, the main source of nitrogen in fertilizer production, increased 130 percent from $227 to $523 per ton. The price of urea, the primary solid nitrogen fertilizer used in the U.S., rose 127 percent from $200 to $453 per ton.

Source

I should know, my business is agriculture.

Potash companies are definitely not suffering....

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

wouldn't the 'war effort' raise the prices of nitrogen and ammonia based fertilizers as they are the primary chemicla components in explosives?

perhaps we should be looking to the use of urine-based fertilisers for our cereal crops instead?

PDF technical data sheet for urine recovery systems

PDF 'Closing The Nutrient Cycle' Human urine as fertiliser

...'spend a penny' and make a buck!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
To follow up the post i made earlier one of the large energy supliers in the UK has announced that elictricity will go up by 12.7% and household gas will go up by 17.2% BBC a raise of almost one fifth is gonna hurt a lot of people at this time of year

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

And the prices ar gonne keep rising to just as they have over the past feew years...a good time to invest in domestic solar P.V./Thermal technology!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Solar stocks have had such an insane run up. Really unbelievable.

Look at a stock like First Solar:
finance.yahoo.com...
Wouldn't touch that one with a 900 yard pole.

I heard an interesting comment today touching on oil. It said that support will come around the 101 level, not 100. It has to break the 100 barrier to feel comfortable.

Its very much the same with stocks. I watched Potash Corp. break 100 and then test it for quite some time. Then once it breaks that barrier for quite some time, it pushes its next limit (110).

I'm not saying that oil is going to 110 anytime soon, but do expect a level over 100 when it begins to sustain that.

I'm not scared yet.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I think people will be BEGGING for a Ron Paul administration the closer we get to the 08 elections.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by QuasiShaman

That is what we really need to get us back on track. Sadly I don't think it will happen. You would think with his platform everyone would be clamoring for him but his poll numbers are just not there. I think the plan is to keep him low and push him to the Libertarian Party to keep him from being a threat. I am a registered Lib and like many out there I would vote for him if he got the Rep nod. Instead I will keep "throwing my Vote away" like I do every four years.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Good of you to post the metals chart.

No prob Zoltan...thank you, and a High-Five back-at-cha

...but if anyone is reading this stuff and thinking about jumping into the gold market, first do your homework.

Right, without a firm grasp of current fundamentals, and how they relate to the Big Picture....swift & violent price swings in this tiny market are guaranteed to rattle a few dentures ... or .... Gnash 'em if ya got 'em.

Profits aside, the research required to successfully invest/trade this sector makes for a fascinating education. Gold ramping...miners lagging...bargains still available for value buyers.

Oil...Weak Dollar continues to toast producer profits. I doubt that OPEC will be motivated to open the spigot wide enough to see $80 crude, unless the Dollar can rally & hold...not likely near-term. I still don't see any technical or fundamental support on the horizon.

Originally posted bySEEWHATUDO

....up until March of last year (my join date) I had not a clue as to what was going on in this world, at times I wish I could go back to sleep it would be easier

Understand SWUD. In the end, knowledge is still power. After the corrective dust settles...comes the opportunity for positive trends to emerge. Perhaps a shift in values favoring simplicity over stuff...cooperation over isolationism.

Too much to hope for? We're heading for the crucible alright, but we have a wonderful generation of aware youngsters coming-up (your children are probably a good example...my son is 11).

Faith & Hope

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
It's a short list. 1. INFLATION.

Oil is priced in Dollars at the moment. That is a big part of the reason for the increase. It's not that oil or gold is becoming worth so much more, it's that the dollar is becoming worth less.

This is just the beginning. The printing presses have been pounding away for some time now. As the fake money hits the system it devalues the money already out there. But your wages will not follow. The government has been taxing us this way since 1913. Most people are so indoctrinated that they think inflation is something natural. It's not. It's Unconstitutional and extremely corrupt.

The Banks and the Government benefit while we suffer the consequences of their Greed and War making.

Yup, that's pretty much it. THX for sparing me a lot of reading.
I would include a couple of resources though.

inflationdata.com...

www.financialsense.com...

www.whale.to...

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
i just want to toss in a short story for this thread.
Today at my work(food industry) we had a meeting about our dropping fill rate (fill rate is our warehouse having the product the customer orders in stock) the rate is dropping because the various trucking companies have started refusing to drive goods to our warehouse because its getting so expensive fueling the trucks. And since there is very little manufacturing in America they will be driving back to where they came from (usually the coast cities) with an empty trailer. empty trailers mean in income and wasted gas.
so they can charge more for shipping which will probably put them out of the market to a competitor, or just refuse and drive the goods to closer locations, and thats what alot of them are doing.

interesting times...

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
its not exactly the oil price increasing, its the dollar loosing value, thats the truth.
In euros the crede´s price is only 10% higher than the maximum of last year.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The gas prices in my City are the highest in all Ontario. Out of the top 15 my city has 12 on it. (List)

Price e.g. 1.15 ($ per litre) x 3.78 (litres per gallon) = 4.35 per gal

The fortunate thing about living here is that we border our sister city in Michigan where a gallon of gas is currently $3.10. (Source)

Our gas stations are literally forcing us over to the States to buy our gas.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join