It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Freeze for Britain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
im up in the North East of Scotland, as i write this its about midnight and it is snowing fairly constantly. Looking out the window, the road is white and their is about 1 inch on the ground. Forecast more for tomorrow morning which isn't ideal because im supposed to be off on holiday for a week but if it does snow tomorrow im going to have to go in to work and help clear the road up to the farm me thinks....

I love how when we get any kind of weather it just grinds us all to a halt. We get more or less the same ever year and we talk about nothing else, so why are people so surprised when it's lashing it down or the temp. goes above the 25 mark? madness!

on a bit of a side not, i read earlier that last year was the 2nd hottest in the UK ever. Yet we didn't have much of a summer, atleast not up here anyway.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Interesting how much the UK is like Texas when it comes to inclement weather. Now we’re ready for the heat down here, as it goes over 100F for a solid month every year, even so some die from it every year.
But the slightest freezing precipitation sends everyone apoplectic. It happens at least every three years or so, still you’d think the world was coming to an end. Either folks are doing 3 MPH on a perfectly dry road, or they’re speeding over icy bridges and ending up in the ditch. Luckily, a lot of the people who know they can't drive for squat stay at home.

edit for crap

[edit on 6-1-2008 by resistor]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Weather is getting extreme here in Scotland at the minute. Last night I thought there was a train coming but there's no railway near me. It was this SUDDEN wind that came from nowhere, whipped around the whole area for a minute, then vanished. A few hours later the rest of it came and it hasn't stopped since. Weather predictions are that it's to stay like this all January then Feb we'll get a BIG FREEZE. We'll see.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I can't help but laugh when my British friends tell me how 1-2 cm of snow brings whole cities in England to their knees. We got more than 17 inches over the period of 2 days last week. Buses were running, schools were open, everyone was expected to be at work. Just another day in Canada

10 years ago this week:

The North American ice storm of 1998 (also known as Ice storm of 1998 and Ice Storm '98) was a massive ice storm that struck a relatively narrow swath of land from Eastern Ontario to southern Quebec to Nova Scotia in Canada, and bordering areas from Northern New York to Southeast Maine in the United States, in January 1998. It caused massive damage to trees and electrical infrastructure all over the area, leading to widespread long term power outages. Millions were left in the dark for periods varying from days to weeks, leading to more than 30 fatalities, a shut down of activities in large cities like Montreal and Ottawa and an unprecedented effort in reconstruction of the power grid.

en.wikipedia.org...

Try that one on for size. That's what I'll be preparing for, not "sub-zero" temperatures as they are already here every day.

[edit on 1/11/2008 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Yarcofin

Yea you have to laugh. We get about 6-7 inches max at a time and if it lasts for any length of time then only the main roads get cleared and anyone who has to go to work even a few miles out of the way is pretty much screwed.

I have seen on this thread a few times now about a big freeze coming, but i aint heard anything about it anywhere else, where are you guys getting your info from?

sty

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
We got some snow today - here in Bristol . Not very much , but enough to have a 4 mile "parking place" close to the M4 and M5 junction. I do no see any connection between little snow and miles of car getting stuck in he street. Also my home country was "paralyzed" for several days this week as we got almost 1 meter of snowfall . But the impressive bit is the very low quality of the buildings I see in the UK. Still do not get it - why the Brits are paying the highest price in EU for their house that has the worst quality in the EU.. yes, i guess a cold period would but the UK economy to the ground as would over-leap the peak-oil.. let us hope it will not happen!

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta
reply to post by Yarcofin

Yea you have to laugh. We get about 6-7 inches max at a time and if it lasts for any length of time then only the main roads get cleared and anyone who has to go to work even a few miles out of the way is pretty much screwed.

I have seen on this thread a few times now about a big freeze coming, but i aint heard anything about it anywhere else, where are you guys getting your info from?

Weather people. I forgot where I've seen it, but Ive seen it from more than once source, that it is a "possibility"

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I can't help but laugh when my British friends tell me how 1-2 cm of snow brings whole cities in England to their knees.

Believe me, we laugh as well
It's really perfective ....

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I think when the "Atlantic heat conveyor" shuts down, england will be in for a cold cold time, as in...... COLD!!!! Yeah so I would stock up on what you can but to be honest I think we're screwed, just stay off the council estates.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join