It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Department of Homeland Security Vandalizing Wikipedia?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Department of Homeland Security messing up Wikipedia?

digg.com

This host, n021.dhs.gov, is registered to the United States Department of Homeland Security

Please stop adding nonsense to Wikipedia. It is considered vandalism. If you would like to experiment, use the sandbox. Thank you

Your recent edit to 9/11 conspiracy theories (diff) was reverted by an automated bot that attempts to recognize and repair vandalism to Wikipedia articles
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/23/2007 by bigbert81]

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ok, I know this COULD have been just a coincidence that it happens to be a DHS computer, but for some reason, I'm not surprise that another gov't agency is going to a popular source of information and screwing with it.

digg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Could be bored employees at the DHS. From the Wiki talk page it seems the IPs from that domain messed up other stuff including the entry for De Lorean DMC-12, Serena Williams, The Players Band and The Wire (TV series).

Also, the edit on the 9/11 conspiracy theory page was a minor vandalism:

Link to page

ALL OF THESE THEORIES ARE RETARDED!!!

That was all whoever edited it added.

Not really a story...

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
True. Very well could be boredom.

Still kind of sad though. I'm glad I'm helping to pay for it.

apc

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
We just had a city council member resign because she had used her office computer to forward and compose humorous and controversial emails (like the one I just got comparing Hillary to a horse). If it is unacceptable for a lowly city councilwoman to use tax-funded computers to send out email like that, it should be equally unacceptable for a DHS employee to use tax-funded computers for just about anything on the Internet unrelated to their job.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

I totally agree. Last week I took my driving learners permit (yeah, very late... I'm about your age) and the government office was soooo slow. Computer problem or connection problem was what the lady at the counter told me. But at the same time she was also chatting on MSN. Sigh...

Other than personal responsibility, I see no way around these sort of situations.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

You mean, she was also chatting on MSN like,

Lady at the counter on chat: "ROFL LMAO OMFG THIS IS BORIN'"
Lady at the counter turns to the person: "Hi, please wait for one moment, I'll be in touch with you"
Lady at the counter then turns back to MSN: "OMFG, So anywayz..."

Right?

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

Yeah, man. More or less

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
these particular edits seem to be boredom, but don't forget about all of this:

wikiscanner catches them in the act: ny times article

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
i have personaly witnessed two instances of vandalism on wiki in the past month.

localised states was removed.
electrogravity,this concept has been vandalised to read pseudoscience etc,yet on some occasions it wasnt classified so and showed valid examples of electrogravity in action,even a rocket that was going to be launced using such principles,which is now gone.

i dont understand,surely scientists are know about all these concepts,why would the want to keep them supressed from the public?

or is it more a matter of keeping it suppressed from foriegn populations under the principle knowledge is power?.

top topics

join