It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humour 'comes from testosterone'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
News.BBC.co.uk

Men are naturally more comedic than women because of the male hormone testosterone, an expert claims.
Women tend to tell fewer jokes than men and male comedians outnumber female ones.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Does this mean Germany has no men?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Apparently my testosterone is almost non-existant then, because I'm not a "funny" guy at all...

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Does this mean Germany has no men?

No, but it may mean that the country where people ask this question has very few...

It takes one to know one - y'know? ;-)

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Apparently my testosterone is almost non-existant then, because I'm not a "funny" guy at all...

Apparently your testosterone levels are quite healthy, or you wouldn't have posted this...

Seriously, though: equating sense of humour with "telling jokes" is so off it's not even funny anymore.

But it's just what one would expect from "experts" (where are the puking smilies when you need them?!) on mankind and its finer points...

[edit on 20-12-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Now that was funny!; see! Theres hope for you!

This is an interesting perspective at humor itself.

Does this prove as to why there might probably be less women comedians than men comedians? Intriguing......

Learn something everyday.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
No wonder women aren't funny!!!!!

Hahahaaha!

Every time I watch a female comic I always have this preconceived notion that they would not make me laugh. Turns out they can't cause they don't have what it takes, literally. Good stuff!

Scientific proof that women aren't funny

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

Do i smell another gender war a brewin'?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Seriously, though: equating sense of humour with "telling jokes" is so off it's not even funny anymore.

But it's just what one would expect from "experts" (where are the puking smilies when you need them?!) on mankind and its finer points...

[edit on 20-12-2007 by Vanitas]

True... It seems to be a rather ridiculous theory.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Not surprised really, men are a lot funnier than women full stop. Females have their upsides, but humor isnt really one of them.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3_Libras
Not surprised really, men are a lot funnier than women full stop. Females have their upsides, but humor isnt really one of them.

So, you buy into this? In reality, I think the more serious a man is the more testosterone he has. If I see a guy that is smiling all of the time or real giggly, I start wondering about him. Really!!

[edit on 20-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Im not saying whether I buy into the "research" or not, but men are just funnier than women, even women think so from my experience. There are funny women sure, but in general men own that category.

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Maybe so. I really haven't given it that much thought, but the manner in which they are presenting this research is to me, as a fairly serious and sensible man, is kind of insulting. In my mind they are saying that if you're not "funny," then there is something wrong with your testosterone level. To me, they do the same thing with "mental illness." "If you're not perpetually happy, you must have mental issues."

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I think there may be a difference between a guy with good humor and a guy who giggles and acts immature and playful.

Girls can be VERY funny, they do many things that cause me to laugh. But im not sure its humor that makes me laugh lol.

So basically what exactly do they mean by humor? Somebody who can be funny on purpose?

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
So basically what exactly do they mean by humor? Somebody who can be funny on purpose?

Well, I don't do that very well either, so...

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The way I look at it is....when you're watching Stand Up comedy, do you laugh out loud when a guy is doing it, and feel really awkward when its a woman? I do all the time, I just dont find them particularly funny. Like I said though, they have positives

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
When I think about it, though I'm not someone who watches a lot of comedy T.V, I guess I haven't seen many female comedians. I haven't, as I stated, gave it that much thought, really.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well it would explain why men as a whole find The Three Stooges to be funny but women as a whole do not.

While women feel that men find fart jokes to be always be a one trick pony. The same could be said for the "stupid guy bit", which is the dominate female joke material.

But of course there is the one joke that is the final test as to if a subject has no sense of humor as the joke is too stupid for anyone to laugh, yet I have told it to laughs many times when the crowd is properly primed.

Quite honestly if you laugh then I have absolutely no respect for you at all as this is the worst, most unfunny joke ever created. Two ducks were taking a bath in a bathtub when the first duck says to the second duck "Hey, pass me that soap on a rope." The second duck flatty states "What do I look like to you, a typewriter?"

Yep, it is a most pathetic joke that has zero humor to it at all. It garners blank stares of "not getting it". It also garners hysterical laughs. Casual long time observations concludes that 90% of those that laugh are female. A full 75% of those females are quite womanly (not manish) in their behavior.

Given these personal observations I should contact the researchers for my cut of the grant money. However something tells me that they would "man up" and laugh in my face.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by Ahabstar]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
one step closer to science proving women are better off in the kitchen lol

"did i say that out loud"

let the flaming begin

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Maybe its got something to do with the amount of grey matter as well, or do we have to start snorting testosterone to have a good laugh...

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It must be true...

Women have been laughing AT men for eons... and you thought we were laughing WITH you...

baawaaahaahaahaahaa

top topics

<<   2 >>

join