It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI @ home needs your help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Since some of you on this forum may not look at some of the other forums, I'm relaying some SETI @ home info received earlier.

So, take a break from moon/mars structures for a second, and run SETI @ home; you may be the one to discover The Signal.

Some of you may noty be aware that ATS has a SETI Team, but sadly there are only 33 active members!

The SETI@home team has achieved much progress in the past year. We have successfully started the next phase of SETI@home by distributing data recorded with the new seven beam data recorder. This data is being analyzed with a new "Multi-beam" version of SETI@home, which was released in July. With the new data recorder, we are looking at seven places in the sky simultaneously while recording fourteen times as much data as before. This means we need more volunteers like you to help us process this data. So please, tell a friend about SETI@home.

But there is still far more to be done. Although we are pleased with the success of last winter's funding drive, and grateful for the generosity of our donors, we are still operating with minimal funds. These budget constraints have forced us down to less than 3 full time employees. With more funds we hope to hire an additional person to maintain the servers and web site. This would free our existing employees to work on a method of sifting through the results returned by your computers in order to identify candidates more rapidly so we can re-observe them. This rapid response validation system would also give you the ability to see the results your computers have returned in more detail.

To keep SETI@home operating for the next year, and to provide these new capabilities, we will need to raise approximately $476,000. Currently SETI@home is entirely funded by donations from people like you.

For more information about how to donate see:
setiathome.berkeley.edu...

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Searching for signals is a waste of time. We all know they are here

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by area51videoz
Searching for signals is a waste of time. We all know they are here

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and ask, for details on 'here'; specifically, where exactly?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   
ive got seti @ home i geuss i could fire it up and destroy my bandwidth for atleast another day.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Some of you may noty be aware that ATS has a SETI Team, but sadly there are only 33 active members!

Didn't know - just joined it.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by justanothergangster

...ive got seti @ home i geuss i could fire it up and destroy my bandwidth for atleast another day.

Gangster, et al: This problem is easily avoided. I suggest you set your processor, network, and disk/memory parameters under the preferences tab, and then uncheck "run always" and instead check "run based on preferences" under the Activity tab.

This will eliminate any bandwidth and resource impact issues you may be experiencing. For everyone else - you may wish to do a search on SETI at the top of the ATS page - there are many threads and a wealth of tips and content already posted regarding the ATS-SETI team.

Good luck - and keep looking up!

top topics

join