It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paranormal State - on A&E

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Did a search on this and didn't see any topics, so thought I would post and see what everybody's vibes are.

A&E's new show Paranormal State, debuting on Dec 10th here in Canada anyways.

To me, it looks like it could be a good show. The small teasers they have been showing for the show had me going in two different directions.

At first I thought Awesome, a current show based on the study of the paranormal, and it could be authentic without the glam. Of course the first couple of teasers didn't offer much other than it was group doing studies on the paranormal.

A few more teasers into it, and some of the responses from the 'group' seemed a bit 'staged' for lack of better words. Reminded me a bit of our old friend Dereck Accora, of Most Haunted fame.

After looking at their web site and reading some of the stories ( watching some sample vids ), my impression has reverted back to maybe being a 'good' paranormal show.

The old adage, " time will tell " may apply here, but I am now once again looking forward to the debut.

And if already discussed, someone pls post a thread link for me.

tks

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm going to watch it but like with Ghost Hunters I'm going to take it as a entertainment show. We'll have to see though.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
My fears are that with all the hype I have been seeing, it may turn out to be more a entertainment piece rather than a serious show.

All shows, deemed entertaining, would require a substantial amount of "Ooohh" factor, I just hope they maintain some type of professionalism.
(providing they start off with some professionalism, LOL )

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Just saw the teaser on TV ( Canadian) and searched ATS and found this thread.
I'll probably watch it next week . I welcome any "fringe" programming on TV. I'm not sure what to expect from a group on University students.

Interesting side note. My PC Cillin AntiVirus blocked www.AETV.com due to suspicious "phishing"

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Just bumping this to remind those interested that the show starts tonight on A&E.

Hope I am not gettting psyked up for nothing.

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I just finished watching both episodes of PS and all I can say is WOW!
What a piece of garbage. I really don't know where to begin. I'll still give it a try though.

No Evidence, none, nada, zip. You must throw your trust in the word of the host that he's been having dreams of a particular "demon" that for some reason no one can say it's name because of the "bad things" that will come to the person that does so.

This show should be aired on something like DayStar or one of those born again networks. The host incessantly preaches of fighting evil with the bible and at the end of the first episode hands this obviously troubled kid a plastic bottle of "holy water" in case things get out of hand when the "team" leaves. And speaking of his team; you have a couple of lazy college girls who stare blankly as if asking themselves "I dont need a college credit THIS bad".

The show is obviously about the host, NOT the families, or people in need of help. It's constantly referring to HIM and HIS dreams and that HE is some kind of warrior for god or some other BS. The best part is, you don't have any reveal at the end, you just have to wait until next week to see if the host will reveal this demon that he's been dreaming about for weeks.

Well, there ya have it. Yeah, yeah I know my argument isn't that well thought out but Im trying to convey my initial reaction after having just turned off the TV. This was a poorly executed show (with a self absorbed "host") that barely disguises itself as a jesus camp infomercial.

I really wanted this to be good, but Ghost Hunters (flaws and all) IMO still retains the crown.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Yeah I thought they were actually going to have some footage and stuff. It's ok it's entertaining.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I didn't find it all that bad at all.

Yes, more evidence would have been nice, but as mentioned in the first episode " the noises were not unexplainable",hence.. editing.
Why go into detail (30 minute show) about possible evidence that they may have already examined off camera and found as they say, not unexplainable. Its a good 'time-killer' if your trying to fill the time slot, but if its not needed then why bog down the show.

The 'highlighting' of the host would seem appropriate. If I was the founder and director of show being aired on a mainstream television station...hell yeah I would want my mug on the screen.

The 'holy water' incident was based on an experience the host had as a child, it made him feel better with his ordeal, so inturn hoped it would have the same effect for this child.

The 'unknown demon' issue, well... that I tend to agree with you somewhat. Although it seemed like a an intentional 'cliff-hanger'. One assumption would be that within his field of investigations, this same entity has come up before and as in any TV show trying to make a start... 'Leave em' wanting' more'.

I personally liked the idea of introducing demons into the premise of the show right away. I was expecting just the typical 'ghost' haunting / investigations, so to add the Demon element is a bonus.

The show is obviously about the host, NOT the families, or people in need of help

I have to disagree. To me, it seemed as though they or him, conveyed ample amounts of consideration and hope for the families involved.
Follow ups with both the families featured, as well as planned visits in the future seemed to be showing genuine concern for those involved.

My view, the show has potential. It is in fact 'Entertainment', but it does seem to offer something to the viewer in regards to what these guys do for an investigation and how things transpire.

Not to discount your reactions to the show, I can agree with some of them. It just seems like a very opinionated stand on only two 30 mins episodes.

I myself, will be tuning in next week to follow their next investigations

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I watched it last night and I agree with the above poster. The second show seemed to focus more on this guy's "demon". I think that was very staged as I could see that when the medium handed him the paper with the demons name on it the host Ryan looked like he was trying not to smile.

With that said, what did creep me out was the kid that saw the ghost Timmy and then was able to identify him from a picture. Maybe that was staged too I don't know but it was effective.

I just read on C2C about how A & E is advertising this program by way of whipering a message into your head. You can read the article here. It probably is a thread in itself but I don't like that idea at all.

adage.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Wow that's kind of incredible and scary at the same time. I agree that they should make the show an hour instead of 30 minutes because time flew and before I knew it the show was over. They did show the demons name and I guess some people picked it up. I can't remember the name but supposedly he is Satan's second in command. His name is Bel something or another. I'll probably keep watching it.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Day

I too thought the 'Demon' portion was a bit 'staged' for lack of better words.
It may part of the build up for future shows, who knows.

One think I picked up on but dismissed (thought it through ), when we watched the Psychic hand the pc of paper with the demons name on it, I didn't hear the host/founder ask him for it... he sort of just handed it over to him without any words being spoken ( for the ominous effect maybe ).
Then, when he was explaining it to Mrs. Warren, he told her he ASKED to see the pc of paper.

Like I said, thinking it through unveiled many possibilities, such as edited so we didn't hear him ask, or he did ask and I missed it, etc. I originally was going to use that as an example of a 'staged' event in the show, but it could quickly be explained.

I do however believe that portion of the show was a bit hyped up, and leaving a door open for future shows.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DDay

Awesome idea.

I had no idea they were using technology like this.

Could be classed as a mild form of 'brain-washing'. Especially in the supermarkets.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Grailkeeper]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I watched last night and the impression I got was that the little boys problems probably stem from the mother.

At one point they are sitting in the dark and the mother says that something is here. The host asks what is it and she replies, "nothing good" and bam! It hit me like a ton of bricks! That's exactly what the little boy said at the beginning of the show. I think allot of what's happening with him is directly related to the mothers belief system and she is bleeding this stuff down to him.

As for picking out the guy in the picture, I don't know if that is legitimate or not but I will say that it would seem as though the host is trying to help and he did in this case.

What other way to fight evil than with God's Word. I guess some would rather the evil stayed around for their amusement.

All in all I'd say it look OK as long as they don't feel pressured to make the shows more than they are.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
after watching it, I looked up the name of the demon he was talking about after deciphering the lettering that was going back and forth in red and mixng up fast

the name was

Belial
(also Belhor, Baalial, Beliar, Belias , Beliall, Beliel; from Hebrew בְּלִיַּ֫עַל Bəliyyáʻal; also named Matanbuchus, Mechembuchus, Meterbuchus in older scripts) is an evil being in Jewish apocrypha, and also a term used to characterise the wicked or worthless.

The etymology of word is uncertain but is most commonly translated as "without worth".[1] Some scholars translate it from Hebrew as "worthless" (Beli yo'il), while others translate it as "yokeless" (Beli ol), "may have no rising" (Belial) or "never to rise" (Beli ya'al). Only a few etymologists have assumed it to be a proper name from the start.[2] In the Book of Jubilees, uncircumcised heathens are called "sons of Belial".

In the Goetia, Belial is said to be very respectful. Belial is also the demon of lies and guilt. As a Prince of Hell, he commands 80 Legions of Demons and is specifically the Prince reigning over the Northern Reaches of Hell. He controls the element of earth and reigns over the Earth Elementals (earth demons.) The other princes of Hell include: Olias, Asmoday, and Vassago

I find it hard to believe a prince of hell is following this guy or for that matter in that house

but what can you do

the suspense wasnt that great and the proof was crap

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurderCityDevil
I find it hard to believe a prince of hell is following this guy or for that matter in that house

but what can you do

the suspense wasnt that great and the proof was crap

The guy thought it was following him as he did a excorcism a few years ago and that demon was there. Though I'm not sure why he would be still following him.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman441

exactamundo, but it was a kinda a good watch none the less

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I thought the show was very interesting and worth watching. I especially liked how he helped the little boy to realize that he was not the only one who could see dead people. I think Paranormal State is going to become very popular.

TAPS is still my favorite though... lol Monsterquest is pretty good too.

Maybe ATS should start its own paranormal tv show!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Just watched the tape of it (it's on past my bedtime).

It was okay. Nothing special. The 'head guy' reminds me of Keanu Reeves. Don't ya' think??? Looks just like him. (only a bit pudgyier)

Glad they didn't say the name of the demon. That could cause problems.

All in all - it was like the first few TAPS episodes. It'll need a few more episodes to gain a flavor because it was flat.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Just watched the tape of it (it's on past my bedtime).

It was okay. Nothing special. The 'head guy' reminds me of Keanu Reeves. Don't ya' think??? Looks just like him. (only a bit pudgyier)

Glad they didn't say the name of the demon. That could cause problems.

I thought you were a flyer fan
. that's ok I'm a Devil/Ranger fan. I agree he definately looked kind of like Keanu if he would say whoah every once in awhile that would be kind of funny. They didn't say the name but did give the name and some people found out.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I Watched both episodes, and it is hard to give it a good review, because I think i need to watch more episodes to see what the show is all about. I wonder if it is a rip off of Ghost hunters. I mean how often does a paranormal show come up 3 months after halloween? If it is competing with Ghost Hunters, i am glad they are on seperate days of the week, so i can watch both.
I kind of thought the use of prayer and reading from the bible was a nice touch. Thats something Ghost hunters doesn't really do.
The main guy looks kinda young, and I wonder if he really knows what he is doing. The other cast members seem like they are out of the spotlight. I really hated the narrators voice like he was talking through a two-way on a nextell. After watching it last night though, I Cant wait to watch it next week!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join