It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the purpose of hell?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I suppose that one should understand just where the bibical idea of hell came from before actually asking what it's purpose is, however, I will get to that further on down in this post.

To answer the question, in just my opinion of course, hell is suppose to be a place of eternal punishment for not choosing to follow the christian god. Supposedly, all humans are born with free will. Which means we have the right to choose whether we believe in the christian god or in something else.. or nothing at all. However, the idea of hell was created to give more "incentive" to people to choose to follow the christian god. I mean, seriously, who would want to spend eternity in a place of fire and brimstone suffering?

Sadly, the very idea of hell contradicts the gift of free will. Some christians try to explain that hell is like a parent trying to teach a child. "Dont do this, for this will happen if you do, but it is your choice." But that is not really a choice is it?

There is some that believe hell is actually a place where people can be "rehabilitated" then sent on to heaven. That is a place of correction so that their souls will be cleansed and purged before being sent to eternal paradise. This is in direct opposition of the teachings of the bible though and it is not a widely held belief.

However, lets look at where the idea of Hell first came from.

In the Norse pantheon, there is the Goddess Hel who is the ruler of the realm of shadows, were all gathered when they died, no matter their deeds. It was later, when christianity began making it's encroachment into the Norse lands that both the Goddess Hel and the realm of Hel became more terrifying and labeled as a place that someone went when they died an inglorious death of old age or sickness.

The christians took the concept of a place for banishment and expounded on it in order to frighten their parishoners into believing as they were taught and living as they were told. Remember, in the medieval time, it was the church that kept everyone in check. What better way than to use religion to do so?

They weren't the first to do so! But it worked. People became afraid of spending eternity in a hot place just because they did bad things when they were alive.

Of course, as man gained more knowledge and began to understand what was around him, questions arose and speculation abounded.

Quite simply, hell is nothing more than a scare tactic employed by the religious to try to keep people following their belief system. There is no point to the belief in hell and if such a place actually existed, it would serve no other purpose than to torture those who actually used their mind to find a path that suited them best.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ValhallasValkyrie

well said

But when you said where Christianity derived its understanding of hell from Norse influence, the original concept of hell actually came from the Ancient Egyptian religion, where the ruler of hell was Set, and the ruler of heaven was Horus. This is where all the ideas of hell basically came from, it's all explained in this link.....

youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Very true, however, just about every religion has a place similar to hell.

It is just one of the many things that proves christianity "borrowed" from the pagan faiths in order to get it's belief system off the ground.

I could go into all kinds of discussions about the christian holidays, which are in fact, pagan holy days.

Either way, the name Hell came from the Goddess Hel. I do know that much.

It should also be mentioned that in Hemetic beliefs, Ahemait ate the souls of the unworthy dead. There really wasnt a hell so to speak in their beliefs. You were either worthy and admitted to their version of heaven .. or you were unworthy and your soul was eaten.

Given the choice between having my soul eaten, being burned for all eternity or having to come back and repeat this life over again till I get all the mistakes corrected... I think I would choose being eaten or being burnt!

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Merle8

in the old testament they dont really mention an afterlife ?the correct ending for the book of job is;job42:17and job died an old man and full of days and it is written that he will rise again with those whom the Lord raises up.daniel is told by the archangel gabriel dan.12:13 go your way till the end(of your life)then you will enter into rest(of the grave=hell)and will rise again for your allotted portion at the end of the age(when Messiah returns)read the book of ezekiel 37 which is all about the resurrection from the grave=hell) including king david who is there now also asleep not awake conscious or suffering any torment----------he is resting with daniel and all the prophets and dead saints of G-D.with adam came death(in the grave)for all of us but with Messiah comes life in the resurrection 1corinthians 15:19-26

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Hell is a town in Michigan, the purpose of which is for people to take up residence! I know this is true because I once drove through it.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

we can use earthly terms for punishment such as jail, prison, time-out.. etc to describe a place of hell but we cannot fully understand hell and it's purpose just like we cannot fully grasp the concempt of heaven... Both are unearthly and spiritual places.... christian belief is that those that reject Christ will go to hell.. wether they support the second death theory or the everlasting pain theory is not of importance... but it is the place of punishment for those who have rejected God. Therefore the purpose of it is easily described like this.. God says to follow him and a person does not want to wants to live a life with out God.. therefore when they pass from this life into the next they are damned to ""hell"" eternal seperation from God... that is the punishment.. Even though someone may not have God in their lives here on earth.. God is still here ( the holy spirit) but the Lord has reserved a place where is presence does not exist for those who do not want him... that is the purpose of hell..

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Paul_Richard

BS
someone had to call it.

how about you show me a CREDIBLE and UNBIASED source?
maybe something from a medical journal, that would be nice.

NDE recreated in lab
didn't feel like going through Science to find the study...

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
As someone else stated on this thread, the Bible states Hell was designed for Satan and the fallen angels. Because humans are eternal beings in a mortal shell, we are still granted an eternity in either Heaven or Hell. We are told to choose today who we will serve. It is entirely up to the person where they go after death.

But why such a horrible place and who will go there? Basically, people who have heard the Gospel but consciously and willingly deny its truth. If God truly is a just and holy God, then we cannot possibly expect Him to grant two extremes the same outcome. For instance, Adolph Hitler and Mother Theresa.

It would not be just for a judge to release a rapist murderer standing trial because he thinks punishment violates human rights or because he thinks punishment is unfair. Likewise, God is not going to let the wicked go unpunished.

Back to the principle that no one is in Hell by accident. These are people who knew of God but refused to submit to Him, mocked him, and committed evil in this life. They did not want God and wanted no part of Him. In essence, God is giving such an individual exactly what they want- separation from God.

Why is Hell such a horrible place? Remember, God is the father and creator of all good. The absence of God is evil, death, and horror. If the people consciously and willingly reject God, then they are in a place where God does not dwell. All that is left is the horror.

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
if you do a search of Biblical references to Hell you will find them........Hell is mentioned in the Bible. Just search you will find.

reply to post by helen670

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
To all those who keep up with Egyptian theology vs Christian theology. I think, if you read the apostles history accounts, you'll find they did it purposely because everyone was lacking in their beliefs, turning tot he emperor of Rome or just becoming lost in life. Christians took advantage of the situation, and the rest is history.

Not exactly sure how pointing out similarities proves that one didn't exist. I could go crazy and say 'OMG, THE MAYANS HAD PYRAMIDS! THEY MUST NOT HAVE EXISTED AND JUST COPIED OFF FROM EGYPT!"

Then of course there is "OMG, GREEK ALPHABET LOOKS LIKE PHEONECIAN ONE! THE GREEKS NEVER EXISTED!"

pathetic argument, really.

[edit on 5-12-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Dec, 5 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
When you're dead, you're dead.
"From dust you were made, to dust you will return." -Somewhere in Genesis.

The mind cannot survive without the body. Good people go to Hell, such as in the case of Job, so it can't be a firey torrment.

English/Hebrew/Description

Hell=Sheol=Grave
Hell=Gehennah=Burned up
Hell=Tartarous(Greek)=Demon prison

Who in the English speaking world (or should I say Latin) decided that one word "Hell" represented all three definitions?

[edit on 6-12-2007 by lostinspace]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

'OMG, THE MAYANS HAD PYRAMIDS! THEY MUST NOT HAVE EXISTED AND JUST COPIED OFF FROM EGYPT!"

Then of course there is "OMG, GREEK ALPHABET LOOKS LIKE PHEONECIAN ONE! THE GREEKS NEVER EXISTED!"

As much as you may have a point there...somewhat.... the difference is for example, we can see evidence that the Mayans existed because of such monuments, artefacts of culture which prove they once lived.

When looking at the 'GREEK ALPHABET ' an understanding of how information travels back in those times.....eg, when the Romans took over Greece, they adopted some of the Greek gods into their religion, the same may go for language and alphabets.

Another example is when French military were in parts of Vietnam (I think it was Vietnam) and when the French left the Vietnamese took on some French words into their vocabulary.....

Even the English language was originally composed from others.

the difference with religion in this concept, is that the 'heroes' of these religions like Hercules, Jesus, Krishna, Budda, etc, all have similar traits of stories that define their own definition of existence.....eg...

Sun god ‘Horus’ Egyptian 3000 BC

He is anthropomorphised as the sun

He’s life is about the suns movements in the sky

Horus also means light, day

‘Set’ (god of the underworld) darkness, night

Born on December 25 of the virgin Isis merry and was accompanied be the star on the east, followed and located by the 3 kings, age of 12, was a prodicle child teacher, age of 30 he was baptised by a figure known as Anup, and had 12 disciples he travelled about with. Preformed miracles, healing the sick, and walking on water.
The truth, the light, gods anointed son, the good Shepard, the lamp of god,
After being betrayed by typhoon, he was crucified, berried and dead for 3 days and then resurrected.

Attics, of fledgier Greece 1200 BC, Born of the virgin Nanun, born on December 25 crucified placed in a tomb and after three days resurrected

Krishna India 900 BC born of the virgin Devaki ("Divine One"), royal descent star in the east signalling his coming, birth was attended by wise men, preformed miracles with his disciples, disciples bestowed upon him the title "Jezeus," "pure essence," and upon is death was resurrected

Dionysus of Greece, 500 BC, born of a virgin, born on December 25, was a travelling teacher who preformed miracles, such as turning water into wine, Referred to as the king of kings, gods only begotten sun the alpha and omega upon his death was resurrected

Mithra Persia 1200 BC, born as a virgin on December 25, he had twelve disciples, preformed miracles, upon his death was berried for 3 days and then resurrected, also referred to as the truth the light, the day of worship was Sunday, bread and wine, of which the Mithraic initiates partook. The bread consisted of tiny leaves, each distinctively marked with a cross. The participants ate the bread and then drank the wine from a cup. The Christians of the day, noting the likeness, accused the demons of thievery. Both ceremonies, Christian and Mithraic, were believed to have been memorial services celebrating the divine, and it is known that Mithra, at the close of his redemptive career and just before his ascension to heaven, partook of a last supper with his companions.

Buddha born of the virgin Maya, royal descent, performed miracles, healed the sick, walked on water, crucified, suffered for three days in hell, and was resurrected.

ETC……………….

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that there is no Hell and that there is no Paradise. I think both were created and told to control people's minds and make them scared of doing bad things. So small group of people knows the truth and may do what ever they want and never get punished for this and the rest of the people go to Church, pray and think that they are ok and don't do anything bad to each other and to the government (which is that small group). Probably that was actual idea of any religion started by human.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

The Jews spent a huge amount of time in Egypt. So, just as the American Slaves mixed African and American cultures to make their own, the Jews mixed their farmer's religion with Egyptian and out came Judaism.

This is the same with all religions. And as I stated, most people were depressed with their religion at the time. They lost all hope as all their cultures were erased by Rome and their ways forced onto them. So obviously, the first Christians adopted themselves to everyone they met. This is why there are so many sects. Because all these people adopted Christianity to their beliefs, and when they tried to make a unified church, so much time had gone by that they couldn't unite.

I said it somewhere else and I'll say it again, "cultural mixing".

I mean, if you couldn't tell from all the old works of the middle ages that Pagans mixed their culture with Christianity, well... I'm not sure how you couldn't.

3 leaf clover with St. Patrick? Just to name one.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by Gorman91]

Oh, and being a Universalist, I consider Zoroastrianism an early attempt by God to make his message known. If I remember correctly, the followers of this religion tried to reform Greek religion to their beliefs, just as the Christians did eons later.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by Gorman91]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Andre:

Horus was not born on December 25 but in the Egyptian month of Khoiak (which corresponds to the Gregorian October/November). This is when the Egyptians believed him to be born and when they celebrated his birth feast. I can't remember what Horus' name means but Set's name literally translates into Dazzling pillar. Horus did not have 12 disciples- he was a sun god associated with the zodiac. Horus also never died- only his father Osiris died but it was after being dismembered and placed into a chest that was sent out to sea. (Original Egyptian text sources are listed HERE)

Attis was never crucified- he was castrated and bled to death. Never resurrected and his birthday was not celebrated in December- his birth represented spring.

Krishna was not born to a virgin- he was Devaki's EIGHTH child. His birth was not attended by wisemen- Krishna was born in a prison cell where is parents were being held. (Orginal Hindu text sources are given HERE)

Dionysus has two different birth accounts attributed to him and neither imply a virgin birth. His birthday was not celebrated on December 25th but, like Attis, was associated with the return of spring. Regardless, there is nothing in the Christian texts that claim Jesus was born on this date. He was never seen as king of kings (he was only a demigod, remember) or the only begotten son- Zeus had SEVERAL sons.

Mithras was actually never even born, nevertheless by a virgin- ancient carvings show him emerging as an adult from rock (see the photos in the link at the end of this paragraph). No twelve disciples- the only "twelve" associated with him was the zodiac. Remember, Mithras supposedly existed before the creation of man. The bull he slaughtered right before his ascension is where life sprouted. You can't have disciples if there are no people in existence. Mithras was never buried and then resurrected after three days because he was never said to have died. (SOURCE)

Buddha was not born of a virgin. The Kharita states his parents conceived him through sex. He was not crucified- the Buddhist texts show him surrounded by his followers while he died on a couch by the river. He never descended into hell- there is no hell in Buddhism. Wasn't resurrected. He was cremated after he achieved all levels of enlightenment. (Sources of the actual Buddhist texts are listed HERE)

I didn't go over everything mentioned because the info is in the links given but it is some interesting food for thought. I was surprised after hearing of the pagan copycat theory and wanted to see what the actual religious texts of the deities in question had to say. Sure there are some similarities between them and Jesus but there are also similarities between a tennis shoe and a candy bar if we look hard enough. Hope that helps.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Matthew 25:41: "Then shall He say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels..."

There is a fourth reason for punishment: rewarding disobedience. Hell and Death shall also be cast into the Lake of Fire (Revelation 20:14).

God is Light and Love; satan spreads darkness and fear. Those who refuse to be cleansed by the Blood of Jesus Christ, willingly deny His Sin offering and therefore shall be cast into the lake of fire; whereas those who are truly children of God, shall obey His commands (John 14:15).

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I was brought up as a catholic and had the fear of GOD put into me. Now because of who I REALLY am i know more than anyone in the Catholic church can teach me. Needs to say i now rebelled and rejected it's teachings.

I have actually been to HEAVEN or the SPIRIT WORLD during my life, not a NDE (Near death experiance) But in LIFE!!

Earth is HELL, you are in it. We are far from the love heaven gives. We are little toddlers who fight over toys as we are not capable of sharing. We have tantrums and scream if we don't get our own way. We throw things, punch and kick....Welcome to war we haven't progressed from toddlerhood have we?

We want all the sweeties to ourselves even if it roots our teeth and others get none as we don't really care about anyone else as I AM THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE THERE IS........in a child world....welcome to fammine.

will we ever grow up? is there any hope at all?

GOD, ALLAH or what ever your referance is not a judging person as in HEll you get judged. For love does not judge!!

God does not hurt, or has such an ego we are made to fear him/her...NO NO NO....GOD IS LOVE....love can not hurt it does not have EGO

Humans have EGO's humans make each other FEAR

When people get to know who or what GOD is that will be a good start

Heaven awits everyone no matter how bad or evil you have been on earth as this is all a game of what it is to really FEEL ALIVE

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

The Jews spent a huge amount of time in Egypt. So, just as the American Slaves mixed African and American cultures to make their own, the Jews mixed their farmer's religion with Egyptian and out came Judaism.

Yeah, I saw a recent doc about the Jews while they were in Egypt and it seemed quite convincing. It supports the idea that all the religions we have today, the main religions, the Abrahamic religions, all come from an original base religion....And that original religion itself, is where all the concepts of hell come from.

The Hidden Empire

youtube.com... 1/6

youtube.com... 2/6

youtube.com... 3/6

youtube.com... 4/6

youtube.com... 5/6

youtube.com... 6/6

[edit on 7-12-2007 by andre18]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by John_Q_Llama

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by IncarnAngel

John 14:6 (KJV)

All religions lead to Hell; Faith in Christ leads to Heaven.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join