It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about Masonic organizations for women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I know that there are a number of members here who are Masons, and I am hoping that some of them might help me with some information.

I am aware that the Masons are a fraternal organization, and so no women may join. However I know that there are organizations for women that are affiliated with the Masons.

Can someone explain to me what these organizations are, and what the difference is between them? I have heard of the Order of the Amaranth, and the Eastern Star, but I was hoping to hear more about them from people who might be knowledgeable.

Also, in doing internet searches on the Order of the Eastern Star, I have noticed a lot of African American involvement. Are the members of this organization only African American? (I am sorry if this is a stupid question. I am just really curious). I also hope that this question isn't offensive to anyone.

I thank anyone who can provide me with some information on this topic, or point me in a direction where I might find more.

To the Moderators, I apologize if this topic has been covered in another thread. I searched and could not find exactly what I was looking for. Also, I apologize if this should have been posted in BTS.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well, you should know that there are many versions of masonry. The most popular form, which is generally what you think of when you think of freemasonry, does only admit men (Free and Accepted Masons/Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, etc.). There are other types of masonry which admit women, but they are not recognized by the fraternity and have been declared clandestine by most grand lodges.

I am only somewhat familiar with the Order of the Eastern Star. It is affiliated with the aforementioned "popular" freemasonry and admits women, although I think that a Master Mason is required to open a meeting. The lessons the Eastern Star teaches are different than the blue lodge but are as equally valuable and important. I have heard only good things about it. The Eastern Star is for people of all races, but just like the blue lodge the demographics sometimes reflects the community and is sometimes (unfortunately) segregated. The one Eastern Star chapter I am familiar with uses a regular lodge room and its membership is diverse.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

Thank you for your reply.

With regard to what you said about the Eastern Star, that is what I suspected. I was thinking that people of all races joined it, but that in some cities or states the membership might fall more along racial lines based on the populations.

I appreciate your answer.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

The Prince Hall Affiliated Chapters of the Eastern Star are mostly composed of African-American members. The others are mostly Caucasian.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

Thank you very much for your answer.

I appreciate your reply.

top topics

join