It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Atheists, I Have a Question

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientVoid
reply to post by wisefoolishness

Try thinking about the time before you were born.
Nothing right?
Same with death.

KInda makes me again wonder what came first the chicken or the egg?
Where did we come from and why are we here?
Seems to me our consciousness is more than a plant which is alive. Perhaps the old book of laws to help keep human beings from destroying ourselves ages ago began with the book of laws given to Moses.

Dallas

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
i am not an atheist, nor religious.

i do however believe that our energy might "change" when we die, and step into another dimension, or something similar.

i grew up thinking that when we die, we die. -- until i the night i had a dream about my best-friend being murdered, only to arrive at my office with the phone blinking with my friend telling me that my best-friend had been murdered last night...

that was way too much of a coincidence to be just that. a coincidence. that night changed my life forever and now believe that there IS a connection between living and dead. or rather, here now, and somewhere else after physical death has happened.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The whole mystery is that we won't know until we die!

That's why we need to live for now!

That's why religion (extremism/fundamentalism in particular) blows my mind! None of these clergy know for sure, they haven't been told the 'truth', its all lies! We won't know until its over.

Like Tool says:

(We) don't know
(and) Won't know

That being said, I think I consider myself a Deist...for now.

[edit on 093030p://upFriday by QuasiShaman]

[edit on 093030p://upFriday by QuasiShaman]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Humm..after we die...?...I am in the nothing camp...But,...I think there IS SOMETHING...something else that is...
..I call it (ever since High School)..The Potatoe Clock Religion..
...if you stick a few wires in the potatoe you can run a small digital clock...
...even a little potatoe has power !!..Anyways there is even More power coming out of us..My thing is Where Does Our Power Go.,.heck,..there is something there..like goes to some universe battery somewhere...that Starts And Stops Life somehow...or bounced off that soul catcher..Life Force...come on help me here

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I was raised in a very controlled and ecspected religous childhood. I went tot he church function's and the like for much of my younger days. As I had gotten older, I have kind of figured it out for myself because of the church and state was really not devided and more so croanied for the multitudes.
Though my family remains as church-going individuals, they completely accept my point's of view due to an extreme realization of who I am, and what I am made of, which allows me too be exactly who I am with no regret's and full acceptance for the individuals that need such thing's to comfort and direct them. I was once told that the word "God" stands for "Good ordily direction" and that is acceptable, "If you choose that for yourself."
I finely turned my thoughts inward and contimplated the whole "Religous Experience" as it pertained to "Myself", nothing fit and it was evident "I am athiest." and there for it makes it simpler for the whole existance of "God" thing to be mondaine and unrealistic in the actual physics of my life, and the rest of the world for that matter. The gravity explanation given in an earlier post is pretty much right on target for my way of thinking, and a very good explination of what atheism is all about.

I would suggest that religion is the cancerous consequence of humans having evolved language, group cooperation, a tendency to believe what you are told, and a liking for patterns, all of which have been useful. Religion is often associated with such human features as morality or singing, but is not their cause.

Source:

www.newscientist.com...

Not to mention the freedom of open minded thinkers that have gotten us to this point of existance in the understanding of religion's and belief systems of our modern erra.

Heres a web page that really sum's it up with a realistic point of view.......

Source:

www.angelfire.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Basically, I don't "believe" anything about an afterlife. I think there might be something, maybe reincarnation, evolving into a higher state of being, etc. But, other than a point of philosophical discussion, that's about it. There isn't any evidence that one can analyze about death, other than it happens and that life appears to end at that point. Anything beyond that is merely philosophical.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I'm not sure what I am , or what I believe... However I am afraid of 'organized religion'. If 'they' can convince us that they and only their religion, is THE Truth and THE WAY. And that all others are wrong or worse, avenues of the DEVIL (whatever that is), then they can control the population with fear. My view, is that organized religion has proved, through out written history to be a way to make one type of people conquer and control another. P.S....I don't think I believe in the Easter BUNNY either!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

You die and then you are dead. One is not going to heaven or hell. One should live a life worth reading about in a book, this is your "afterlife".

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
The only answer that is completely true concerning how death affects consciousness is this: no one knows. Maybe humans are, as a scientist or atheist would tell you, mere complex machines which must stop working eventually. Or maybe we are, as a religious person/hippy might say, free spirits inhabiting bags of water which we will shed and free ourselves from.

But there's one thing every person in the world knows about death: nothing.

And the way I see it, we should assume it's the end of everything for each of us. That way, we can hold life in high esteem as a precious gift which is easily extinguishable and of which we only have one. That way also when dying approaches us, we can be ready for the end.

I also think that believing in spiritual infinity, that we automatically ascend after we die, is irresponsible. If it is so, then why should we protect the lives of any Being? But if we believe it to be so and we are wrong, then we can be comfortable ruthlessly throwing lives away while in reality we are simply destroying valuable and irreplacable participants to the Universe.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You rot in the ground, thats about it

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Just want to add some words to this thread.

First of all you need God to have an atheist. Without God there would be no atheist on this planet. It's funny. But atheists are dependent on God to exist. Even the name atheists tells you that since "a"=not or without and "theist" means Godly.

So all you atheists say thank you to God for being what you are.

What do you believe happens after you die?

I am no atheist, but I was one. What made me come back to a "God" if you will? Well purpose. That changed me. There is no living thing or dead thing on this world to have no purpose. Purpose makes God possible.

So what happens after I die. Many things. There is no end to life. The only thing that exist is infinity. How can infinity end? It doesn't. So we never actually die. We just change. We might have a soul which makes things even better. Everyone talks about this thing called soul or spirit, there surely has to be some truth in there.

So if we have a soul, then, death is just the rebirth of the soul in full awareness of itself. Right now, on Earth, our selfish mind is in control. There is no Hell or Heaven. You can live a Hell or a Heaven here on Earth if you really want to. Those two concepts are creations of our mind, and anything our mind creates can exist. So be careful for what you wish.

Enjoy life, be happy, help others and death should not make you sad. The only people which are sad when they die are the people who lose their billion $$$ houses, cars, power, etc.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   

What happens when you die? The same as what happens when you have a general anaesthetic - everything stops.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damien_Hell
You rot in the ground, thats about it

just the response I expected from him. I am no atheist, everyone knows that. but i'll still respond.

it's all very simple, when you die, you exit your body, get ready to jump and in soul form enter faster than lightspeed. after 12 hours or so of space travel you reach the end of space where you enter a star..there you enter the white space and are introduced to your two guides. they tell you where to go and what to do.

later, you are introduced to your new body, you are told a few words by god and are sent back the same day.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

uh huh... and where are you plucking this fantasy idea of what happens when you die from?

and why are you answering a question directed at atheists when you clearly aren't one?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

... Why do you even bother?

How did you know it was god?

Do you have a magical clock which tells you how long you've been travelling through space? 12 hours relative to the traveller or a reference stationary on Earth?

Anyways... Seriously think before you type anything...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
and why are you answering a question directed at atheists when you clearly aren't one?

You are right. I guess I was just in the mood to prove a point. but yes this thread is only for the atheists, So i'll stop posting here respectively.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I think the death of an Atheist is more romantic than the death of a believer. We believe in nothing, therefore, our last moments looking up will be the most important of our entire existence. I would like to stay technical in saying we die just like every other being on the planet, but even the most stout of Atheists don't really know, now do we?

"Oh, death, oh death, it kills me to know you're coming."

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness
so my question is this: what do you believe happens after you die?

In terms of consciousness... exactly what happens before we are conceived. Although I am fully open to the possibility that I may be wrong and would be quite happy to find my conscious being surviving my body's death in some way. You know, the whole consciousness is energy or a form of matter and matter/energy doesn't die but changes argument.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This is my guess...here goes...

We 'run' on electricity...no power, no life.

Ahhh, yes, physics class; Energy is never lost, it just changes form.

As the power is used in the body for muscle movement and what-not, some escapes at a very slow rate. (Some believe they can see this energy loss in the form of auras.) The rest is gathered in the body like a large 'capacitor'. The energy is constantly being 'filtered' by resistors within the body itself...resistance weakens the energy...too many ohms result in a dimmer light...and light is what we're after.

As the body dies, the body or capacitor releases all residual stored energy at once. Polarity kicks in essentially 'sucking' the energy to a source. Good or bad, regardless of belief, it all goes to one place.

Perhaps, our responsibility in life is to contribute in a 'positive' way to the source. Conciousness and memories of a life on earth would be completely obscurred by eons of knowledge gained...( and most likely, when this is experienced, your own memories become insignificant...)

So, conciousness at death?...I say absolutely. How long does it last?...maybe minutes, maybe days...but not long. And that's just the way we like it.

have fun

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join