It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy eating only for the rich?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123
reply to post by dAlen

People get fat because of what is in the foods...the additives.
I ate at whole foods and did not loose weight.

Actually, the only reason people get fat is if they consume more calories then they burn.

actually, i lost the weight and know why I lost it.
As mentioned it was noticeable to everyone I worked with - the weight loss.

After exercise, and having a healthy diet and still not loosing weight...the ONLY change that I made was dropping the food that was served at lunch at my work place. (which was NOT 100% 'kosher'.)...and again in about a month, I lost enough weight that it was noticeable to everyone around me.

As mentioned some additives, what-not, take 6hours worth of walking to get it 'off' -

edit: Please quote me in context.
The point was no matter how healthy someone eats and how much they exercise... the additives, in small amounts, will keep you from loosing weight from a certain point. - As proven by my dropping all artificial anything and finally letting go of the weight.

[edit on 9-12-2007 by dAlen]

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle home grown hot pepper, and some home grown collard greens... both grown in clay pots on my front porch.
Still eatin' on it.

Sri Oracle

- home grown, try living in Atlanta city center, what are you going to home grow?

remember your feeding 6 people like me daily...all year round. Growing on your porch dont cut it...trust me, I live in the country now and it takes a lot, and its still not enough for all year. (Unless you work it 24/7) in-laws are farmers, and this is from experience that Im saying growing your stuff for a family of 6 isnt feasible.
- enjoy your barley and beans, what Im talking about is to the general populace who has a larger palette in taste of foods, and who think they would be giving up something to go organic. - ever eaten a nice organic, veggie chinese meal that tasted good? Its possible, but most people dont have time or ingredients to put together.

- Also have 4 kids or more and see how far your money goes when your trying your healthy diet of grand variety.

I understand your point, and its valid - Im reaching to another audience altogether.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
Healty eating is NOT for the rich. But for the people who like to cook and have time to cook at their home, perhaps the retired folk. the other day I ate an orange and it cost me nothing. that was healthy.

You can eat healthy eating vegetables everyday and that's not too much money.

I see whats happening. No one here is feeding a family of 6.
Try buying organic fruits, vegtables (organic, not what you call organic cause it came from a tree...yet still has pesticidal residue. And Im not inferring that jedimiller is saying this - but Im sure some think this way.)

Try buying that alone, where you have enough for 6 people a day all year around...then have extra, some meats (we only eat fish), etc. Get the spices (yes seem cheap, but things add up.)

And just because 4 people are kids dont mean they cant eat. Kids eat quite a bit, and burn it off in jumping around, etc.

Point is, for a family its not that straight forward or easy.
Also in the American culture of working 24/7, when do you have time to prepare meals? So a prepared healthy meal is even more expensive. (an occasional meal from the whole foods hot or cold bar.)

Again, eating healthy, and with variety is key and where Im coming from.
Not talking about the 'po' mans meal that someone mentioned above. - beans and barley. Eat that year around and see what the house 'smells like'

Anyway, I stick by what I said. If you want variety, organic, and you have a large family...its gonna cost you. As well as those who are single. Sorry the bean argument and growing stuff on your porch dont cut it (in regards to an earlier posters comments)...we are talking about people in 'city' life. The fact remains organics are pricey. And I knew a lot of single people who couldnt cut it. And the fact is most people buy the cheap artificial packaged 'eeios'/whatever from their local grocery chain.

They do not realize the true impact food is having on their life and dont see why they should do all they could to invest in a healthier lifestyle even if it is more expensive.
Again, Whole foods is out of reach for a lot of people and this is known fact, even in the U.k. - but in Atlanta, the INternational Farmers market has organics reasonably priced.

at the end, eating can be fun...and for the most part, yes it is for the rich at the time.
Until demand changes the minds of the industry.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen

After exercise, and having a healthy diet and still not loosing weight...the ONLY change that I made was dropping the food that was served at lunch at my work place. (which was NOT 100% 'kosher'.)...and again in about a month, I lost enough weight that it was noticeable to everyone around me.

You said you dropped lunch which removes 1 meal from your daily food plan. That would be a decrease in calories.
You may also have been eating a higher fat lunch then you thought and once those meals were dropped, you starting losing weight.

This is irrelevant as the only way to gain or lose weight is increasing or decreasing absorption of calories.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 13-12-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

You said you dropped lunch which removes 1 meal from your daily food plan. That would be a decrease in calories.
You may also have been eating a higher fat lunch then you thought and once those meals were dropped, you starting losing weight.

This is irrelevant as the only way to gain or lose weight is increasing or decreasing absorption of calories.

ah...i dropped THEIR lunch. Sorry about that.
No, the 'only way' isnt the way you mentioned.
There are so many diets it pathetic. I say just eat right and a bit of fresh air and you will be fine.

How many people have dieted and it worked and they gained the weight back, or they cant eat certain meals?

I can eat what I want, as I want.
And because it doesnt have MSG etc, I dont over eat.

I ate nice fatty salmon, olives, etc. My weight did not increase.

Again, all I can say is all my clothes in about a months time, literally were to big for me. Everyone commented on how I lost weight. I told them that I dropped the meal at work and they were dumfounded. Not that they didnt believe me. They saw I lost it...but one meal change did it?

Additives, MSG, etc. again, some of these things take over 6 hours of walking to get off.

And as for the people at my work place, the 'joke' seemed to be that within the first 2 weeks of working there that they seemed to put on 10lbs.
Just from one meal. Not a coincidence. (and obviously not a real joke, but more of amazement at how fast weight would be put on from just one meal, or rather change in the meal being eaten that appeared to be 'healthy'.)

Again, my talk comes from my own personal experience.
Until someone walks the same line I have, and I mean eating non of the crap that remotely has anything in it like, MSG, hydrogentated oils, etc - then they will not know if what Im saying works.

its worth a try if they can afford it and do research into what is in foods.
As they have freedom to eat a variety of foods and not walk around obese.

Fact is this. Im now in Europe.
10 years ago when I was here, the type of obese person you see in America, was unheard of. Yes there were over weight...but not this unnatural overweight.

Now that we have McDonalds everywhere...there are popping up extremely overweight Europeans. And whats worse, its starting to affect the young generation.

Again, people may laugh this off, but take a look (while you can) on the street at the Americans, and then the Europeans...the type of extreme obesity in America is unique.
Lets ask, why is this? A wealthy nation who can eat more? (with the going rate of the dollar to the euro thats not a factor.) And again, most Americans are in line with there .20 coupon for those foods that contain no trace of anything natural in it.

America the land of the fast food...It is obvious that the food is the issue, and more so, what is in the food and how it is cooked.

I am very passionate about this. I went from over 200lbs to about 170lbs.
My original weight was 155lbs.

But anyway...info is out there. Everyone has their path to follow. I share my experience as a means to encouragement to the many who think that being healthy means being tortured. It may be that the addictions caused by these additives take time to wear off, but eating healthy is both fun and doesnt leave you feeling bloated.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
And people are over-eating in this world, or in the USA and other places like Europe perhaps, or developed Countries. You see, I know, that you mainly are all over-weight here. I weigh 140 lbs because I have to, since I had some blockage in my blood vessels. And there is too much sodium and fat in food that people keep eating. It may affect some people more than others, but you end up with diabetes and other diseases like heart disease because of it. No, you have to get rid of that kind of stuff, and if eating canned food you rinse the vegatables out with water to get rid of the sodium that was in the can keeping to so-called fresh vegetables fresh until you opened the can. Believe me when you can taste the difference after a short while and know then the difference of eating all that sodium and fat intake that is in some foods. You are healthier eating something like pasta and vegetables or rice and vegetables and only at the most 3oz. of lean meat and if eating fast food (which I do not anymore) like a hamburger is all the meat for the day that you get to eat (which is still not for me.)

If it helps here:

www.americanheart.org...

Center for Disease and Control is a good place to start for just about anything related to disease:

www.cdc.gov...

www.cdc.gov...

And hospitals do not help when you only get 3 hours sleep because they think a person is a zoo or whatever it is that they were not really thinking when not excusing theirselves for interfering with why a person is there in the first place. And lack of sleep does not help anyone, but when in a hospital, a zoo of humans coming into the room is not what anyone needs on 3 hours sleep. I left because they want too much money to keep you there when it should be in-out patient so a person can continue to work a job seeing how actually they are only thinking of theirselves and not of the patient being there in the first place, while making too many assumptions being anti-social which is not needed in the first place.

Again they have to be written about, because they think that (I guess in my opinion) no one should be there to begin putting up with them in the first place. I agree, and that is why I left the hospital because I have to end up paying the bills and since they wish me ill in a manner of typing, they can change the attitude about what it is that they are doing in the first place, espeically went it is I who does not know them, and they do not even intoduce theirselves except to think that a person wanted to see them in the first place but could not make an appointment to the room I am paying for. They assumed someone else was paying I guess which is another assumption in the first place. Some people should not assume so much in this world, because they are the ones doing it when it was not really being friendly, so I guess they can stay in the hospital theirselves and I will get help somewhere else without their interference.

I wonder sometimes why to me 7/8 of what is in a food store anyone would buy. I have no idea who buys some of the items they have in a food store. But I do not have time to stand there and see if anyone will pick up that oddball item they call food in some food stores either. I have work to do myself.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
i have known this for years. any one who buys food at the store knows, that the heathly foods are the most expesnsive and the unheathly foods are the cheapest.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dAlen

Let me clarify my position.
If you want to lose body fat, you must burn more calories then you absorb and store. You can do this by reducing caloric intake or by maintaining caloric intake but expending more energy. But anyway you look at it, there must be a caloric deficit to lose body fat.

There are other ways to lose body weight but it doesn't necessarily mean you've lost body fat. For example, a reduction in sodium intake may cause the body to reduce the amount of retained water which will result in a loss of body weight.

posted on Dec, 9 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwomi
i have known this for years. any one who buys food at the store knows, that the heathly foods are the most expesnsive and the unheathly foods are the cheapest.

I can tell you that in the area of the United States, where I live (Michigan), if you want to eat healthy, it's very inexpensive.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Again, my talk comes from my own personal experience.
Until someone walks the same line I have, and I mean eating non of the crap that remotely has anything in it like, MSG, hydrogentated oils, etc - then they will not know if what Im saying works.

You are 100% correct. I couldn't agree more. I completely cut out processed foods, msg, HFCS, hydrogenated oils, artificial sweeteners, etc. I went from about 180lbs -> 155lbs in about 6months. No increased exercise. I eat WAY more now then ever before (YES, I consume MORE calories and weigh LESS).

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by urbal

You may weigh less but you may not have lost as much fat as you think. Remember msg causes water retention. Oils are fat and fat is 9 calories per gram where carbs and proteins are 4 calories per gram. Also since protein is made up of CHON (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen) it is more difficult for it to transform and store as fat as it actually requires additional calories to drop the nitrogen from the CHON bond.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 13-12-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Textreply to post by stumason

The best way of eating fresh food in the UK is to get an Organic Veg Box delivered. All the produce is grown within the UK, it's seasonal and they include a new recipe in every box. They deliver it straight to your door, all included in the cost. To top it off you can get extras put in your delivery, such as organic tofu, vegan sausages, cheese, organic meats, etc, it really varies from company to company though. You can even order them online.
A large box that caters for a large family, we have 6 at the moment, sometimes we seem to feed more, costs £14 a week (no added extras).

America needs this box sceme to go into action! The government (in UK and America and anywhere else for that matter) should subsidise companies that wish to do the same sceme.
This would make good quality fruit/veg/meat/dairy/vegan products available to the masses at an affordable price. It really is that simple!

Fat people should not be Finacially supported for getting themselves in that condition. There should be a time limit they can recieve benefit for and in that time they should work to get mobile and have a quality of life. If they cannot get moving in said time then they can appeal to get further funding but they should want to get back on their feet and not sit on their arse! I'm fed up of paying taxes and working for some lazy person to sit around all day!

I have a condition with hips that causes me great pain and I was unable to walk for many months and in that time the government did not have enough money to give me a benefit of some sort. These lazy people are draining the economy.

I have no respect for someone who doesn't help themself.

Just because its not organic does not make it bad for you. A bag of carrot sticks and some humous will set you back £1.50 or something and is much heathier than a bag of chips for the same price.

Did no one see Jamie's School Dinners??!! We are feeding our kids puss-y chickens in the form of chicken nuggets!

Go to the fresh produce section at Tesco/Sainsbury's/Morrisons/Waitrose people, not the frozen section! Say no to value meat/dairy!

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
A hit and run on this thread I'm afraid:

My wife and I have been eating healthily since Christmas, I have lost a stone, and have noticed that paying attention to the food we buy has reduced our weekly food bill by some £10 to £15 ($20 to $30). This is partly because we are eating less, but we aren't starving ourselves. I regret to report that in the UK a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a mid-morning apple, a bowl of soup and a roll for lunch and an apple mid-afternoon is rather cheaper than a bacon sandwich for breakfast, burger/pie/steak/fish and chips for lunch and chocolate bars for snacks. Here ends the news report from the UK

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

- home grown, try living in Atlanta city center, what are you going to home grow?

I'm in Pensacola, city center...

I have 4 nectarine trees which I planted in a vacant lot two blocks from here. I have 35 pecan trees across town that I harvest from on various vacant and corporately owned lots. I have 2 kumquat trees at a previous customer's rental house that I fertilize. Where ever there are bushes on my block I have collard greens growing in between. I give pepper seedlings to friends; and peppers come back. I plant watermelon under the neighbor's window air conditioner.

etc. etc. etc.

You do not need to own the land to work the land.

I am,

Sri Oracle

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join