It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOIA: Project "Sign" Teletype From Colonel Clingerman, USAF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
HAFB_LATE_AUG_1947.pdf
Project "Sign" Teletype From Colonel Clingerman, USAF
Intelligence investigates radar sightings of unidentified flying objects moving at a high rate of speed.

Document date: 1948-05-12
Department: USAF Intelligence Department
Author: W. R. Clingerman, Colonel, USAF
Document type: teletype

Archivist's Notes: Poor quality copy of a teletype detailing USAF intelligence investigation of very-fast moving objects, over a USAF base, captured by a USAF radar operator.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This document is an investigation of a UFO seen by several witnesses and was also detected on radar. It is a bit confusing because it involves several different reports from various witnesses at or near Holloman AFB in August of 1947.

In the Teletype, on page 2, sent by Col. Clingerman to the commanding officer of Holloman AFB, that J.W. Peoples was to be interviewed because he had “information that would be of vital importance to the Intelligence Department”.

The next page is a letter explaining that during the interview it was a Lt. Warkley that was thought to have observed the high-speed radar returns.

In an attached statement on page 4, the radar operator, Lt. Warkley claims that there was a misunderstanding about the high-speed return and that it was a Mr. P. Rosmovski of Watson Laboratories that reported seeing motionless objects at the same time they were observed on radar. He continues in the letter, to describe how he observed the object through binoculars while tracking balloons with radar targets. He described it as a white spherical object, and it moved at an “unprecedented rate of speed”, but it was a visual observation and not by radar. In the third paragraph, he said that there were others in the radar tower that observed “round or flat-round objects that were unexplainable” (maybe at a different time?).

On the fifth page of the document, was another letter explaining that Dr. Peoples was not available for the interview, but they interviewed Joseph Olsen, a civilian that also observed the object. He stated that the object was “definitely not a balloon”, and was round and white and moved at a high rate of speed.

The letter continues to report that they also interviewed William A. Rhodes that had also reported seeing objects and had taken photographs of them. Mr. Rhodes was an instructor for identifying aircraft in the previous war. He described what he thought was a large opening or vent on the object as it turned and moved away from him.

The final page is a letter stating the conclusion of the investigation, that all agreed, “the object was very high, moved faster than any known aircraft, possessed a rounded, indistinct form, and disappeared suddenly”. They were not going to recommend any further action, unless the number of sightings increased.

Related FOIA Documents:
FOIA: UFO over Holloman AFB, interview document

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I am most impressed by Mr. Rhodes. He was a past instructor for aircraft identification. If anyone would know what was outside of the normal range of terrestrial craft, it should have been him.

I do wonder what happened to those photos he took. I wonder if someone would be able to chase down any of his relatives and see if there is a chance that he kept some of them for himself?

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I did a search on William A. Rhodes and found his photographs have been published and can be seen here, along with much more information on him and the interview in this document.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

Very good linked article. In my opinion, the military was in the debunking business, and used whatever they could think of to do the job, including some mild character smearing. When the photos were "new" they had no problem with him. But years later, when they didn't want anything from him he was now a nut?

This sounds like our government at work.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I particularly liked the last paragraph of the report.

Mr Rosmovski of the Radar Laboratory was interviewed on 4 June 1945. His statements do not check very closely with those contained in Lt Markley's report to this office. Mr Rosmovski stated that Lt Markley was one of two observers on a modified CPS? Optical Tracking Device. The observations Lt Markley reported seeing on this equipment could not be confirmed at any time by the other tracker. Mr Rosmovksey passed off the "Ghost pip" he personally observed on the radar equipment as merely the illusion of the equipment, He explained that this "ghost" did not move, and was possibly the echo from a distant mountain on a side wave of the radar equipment. He also spoke of "crazing" which is the effect on radar by the white gypsum sand in the area directly west of the Air Base. He also mentioned another form of "ghost" called "angels" which have been detected and which are believed to be caused by changes in air density...

And in one fell swoop the whole event is swept under the carpet. One observer saw and the other didn't (this is why you have two observers) but we will believe the one that didn't see anything.
And yes radar can give strange readings, and I guess even more so back then, but wouldn't the guys experimenting with these things be familiar enough with the display echoes to know the difference? A mountain range looks a hell of a lot different to a small stationary target even on a side lobe reflection.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I am interested in this Dr. Peoples, that guys name sure seems to turn up in alot of places back then. Seems he did a pretty good amount of work for the government as a contractor in the mid to late 40's.

top topics

join