It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those Crazy Tesla Coils.....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I was watching CNN this morning and they had a short article about a man who built a 16 foot Tesla coil in his backyard and had his neighbors worried. It wasn't a singing coil but still an amazing coincidence after reading this.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Hal9000

i JUST saw that thing on cnn. it was friggin bad ass man...
huge tesla coil in his backyard....dude wanted to start a lightning storm in his backyard

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I came across the name tesla around a week ago. I seem to be finding quite a bit of info about him, 'coincedence' Many thanks for the read and watch.

*SETI/MUFON - Compromised

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
An electric speaker without the speaker - that's something to ponder! I would like to see them make make that coil produce a few words as well!! - or better yet - I'd like to plug my Fender Stratocaster into that thing!!!

[edit on 12-11-2007 by CyberTruth]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
maybe tesla does the astro[/jack white]

he is huge tesla fan btw

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
www.proliberty.com...

Just another link about Mr. Teslas' interesting past, especially the death of his era. "Tesla man out of time" is a great book. Gotta pass on. Great threads.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
CNN posted a video of the article they aired this morning.

Lightning in the backyard video

That Tesla Coil looks serious and had to cost some bucks.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hot_Wings
Very Interesting. Yet, is it really the lightning bolts creating the sounds, or is it the stimulation of the metal electrodes that are making the sound. IE: I would bet that the sound is coming from the electrodes themselves rather than the air in between them.

Air is just the medium. The electric arcs are vibrating extremely rapidly, coming from an AC ("alternating current") source. So, electricity is going in two directions, switching back and forth rapidly. This causes pressure on the air (just like anything else that makes sound), and the pressure waves travel outwards towards your ear following the "inverse square" law associated with it. And you may already know that sounds of different pitches are associated with different frequencies of vibration, and that you ear is designed to sense these vibrations within a certain range.

To change notes, they just modulate the frequency at which the Tesla coil is operating, I'm assuming. It's 60 Hz coming straight out of a wall, and the "A" string on a guitar, for example, vibrates at 440 Hz. So they'd modulate the frequency to 440 Hz if they wanted to produce an "A" through the air. And they use a MIDI controller to have MIDI files do all the work, changing all the notes at the right time.

A question for you Tesla folks then… I while ago I head that Tesla was working on all kinds of plans for major weapons. In fact, I heard that he had come up with a plan to use electricity in order to create a nuclear type explosion.

From what I understand, the blast from a fission weapon already comes from electrical forces, because once a nucleus undergoes fission and splits, the two new nuclei are so close to each other that the electrical repulsion between them sends them both outwards at extreme velocities, creating massive overpressures when this happens on large scales. Thus the "atomic bomb".

I also heard that the Russians had experimented with his ideas and tried to create electrical weapons and defense systems.

On July 4th, 1776, New York City lost power for a couple hours or so, and some people have associated this with Soviet technology, their way of sending somebody over here a subtle message. Supposedly they also studied the physics of the Aurora Borealis in Siberia and learned a thing or two from that about propagation through the atmosphere. If any major city lost power for a long period of time, it would obviously be catastrophic.

Apparently he also invented a device that makes use of a vacuum and maybe a static charge, to send out an extremely energetic beam of electrons (which actually have mass and would immediately vaporize probably anything they hit), and then divided up the plans for it and mailed them respectively to several different leading nations of the time, to try to force them to cooperate with each other on this weapon.

There's a documentary somewhere on YouTube about Tesla's inventions that's cut up into different parts. So watch out for videos on YouTube. The documentary I'm talking about is where I first heard a lot of this kind of stuff. The guys on it seem legit enough, too, just like any History Channel documentary or etc., biographers and historians and engineers.

[edit on 12-11-2007 by bsbray11]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Well you learn something new everyday!! LOL I didnt know these coils could mimic midi type songs!! OMG We could do any song in the whole world with these coils!!

Dang thats kewl! I want to hear some Iron Maiden!!!

That gives me on hell of an idea
Just think of a band, that has tesla coils in the background as a band member
hehe silly and dangerous I know..
But just think how kewl that would look at a concert!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
man... this makes me wonder if my parents kept my tesla coil I made in high school, because now I want it to sing.

That is so cool, I just sent the link to this video to all my friends.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
CNN posted a video of the article they aired this morning. Lightning in the backyard video That Tesla Coil looks serious and had to cost some bucks.

I think this may be some footage of the same... I remember someone here at ATS pointing out the link... In fact if I recall correctly, the guy that gave out the link also had a Tesla coil of his own and shared a video of it 'zapping' a car. Does anyone else remember that from about a year and a half ago?

Oklahoma Footage:

[edit on 12-11-2007 by JohnnyAnonymous]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
On July 4th, 1776, New York City lost power for a couple hours or so, and some people have associated this with Soviet technology, their way of sending somebody over here a subtle message.

What year was this? They didn't have electric utilities at that time and the Soviet Union didn't exist yet. I think they were busy signing the Declaration of Independence on that day.

[edit on 11/12/2007 by Hal9000]

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

Yikes. Some of those plasma bolts were getting awfully close in the first part of the video. Then later it shows them hitting his house.

Come to think of it. If he was my neighbor, I would also be concerned.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
My new Theif Repelling Car Alarm

www.techeblog.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000

Originally posted by bsbray11
On July 4th, 1776, New York City lost power for a couple hours or so, and some people have associated this with Soviet technology, their way of sending somebody over here a subtle message.

What year was this? They didn't have electric utilities at that time and the Soviet Union didn't exist yet.

Oops, 1976. My bad, I was thinking of the Bicentennial but I dated the actual "Independence Day".

I did a little more digging and found something called the "Woodpecker Grid," which was apparently initiated on July 4th, 1976. This is probably what I was thinking of from that documentary I saw.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
WOW I'm glad you made this thread Johnny,this made me interested in Tesla again.
But wouldn't this thread be better suited in the Science & Technology Forum?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trauma
Can someone please explain to me how the hell this works?? I don't understand how it makes the noises.

It is really quite simple. A "Tesla Coil" is a coil just like the "coil" that operates the paper cone of a speaker. If you can get the Tesla Coil to operate at the same impedance as a speaker, simply hook it to your stereo. The sparks will "arc" at the frequency of the sound wave and appear to dance about as it randomly tries to find a path to ground.

Please keep in mind that most coils sold as "Tesla Coils" really are not. These cheap imitation coils are made of small wire. Tesla believed all of his coils had to made from copper pipes. If you can understand that higher AC frequencies only ride on the surface of a wire rather than through the core of the wire, then you can begin to grasp what he is trying to accomplish. Most people are trying to ignore this factor when building a Tesla Coil. You also need to understand the "ether" as they called it and Albert Einstein convinced the world it never existed, so it is no longer discussed.

By the way, many original Tesla Coils were built as transformers to accomplish impedance matching.

Please remember that Nikola Tesla stated that we are learning electronics backwards. It is the "air" or atmosphere (better known as ether back in his days) that is the "common" or "ground". And it is the soil that radiates our signal. Have you ever noticed all antenna manufacturers recommend a good ground and when you hook a good ground up, the antenna works much better?

Just before World War 2, Tesla built the Wardcliff Tower in New York that was going to supply electric power to half of the world. All a consumer would need to do is put a stake in the ground and a grounding ball on the house. Free electricity. During the war, the tower was destroyed by the government on the theory that spies would use the tower. And, when all the bankers heard the words "Free Power" that yanked his financial backing.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
By the way, Tesla was known to stand in the middle of his lightning bolts and allow them to travel through his body. You could watch the lightning hit one of his extended arms and travel out the other arm.

I DO NOT recommend doing this. The AC frequency he played with is quite different from what you might attempt. You need to thoroughly understand his setup before trying to attempt something similar.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

Originally posted by zeroeffect
i posted this extact link first a couple days ago and a forum mod moved it to chit chat thread. you sir are a reposter

But JohnnyAnonymous is a moderator. >_>
not trying to pick a fight but should he know better being a mod to repost other peoples threads?

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The above links and posts to that large Tesla Coil in Oklahoma just blow me away. So I searched to see if there were any other videos on it and came across one of the inventor actually rolling it out of it's storage area before "lighting" it up. Gives a great perspective of how large it really is.

Google Video Link

[edit on 13-11-2007 by JohnnyAnonymous]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join