It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veterans 'quarter of US homeless'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Veterans 'quarter of US homeless'

news.bbc.co.uk

One in four homeless people in the US is a military veteran, even though veterans make up only 11% of the adult population, a report has found.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Pretty shocking that this has been allowed to happen, these people have served their country and then seemingly not been given the backup that they need once they have left the military.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   
One in four is the same figure they used to band around for the UK homeless veterans.

You have to remember though, some of these are by choice. I have spoken to some homeless veterans who have just adjusted to that way of life and choose to stick by it.

That said, to think of anyone homeless in this day and age is sad, even more so when it its men and women who have served thier country.

What i struggle with is the stories of the lack of support troops once they've left the forces. I was injured on active duty and left the forces as a result, and the Veterans Agency and British Legion and many other agencies have been there for me every step of the way if needed.

I think in the UK at least, it is more often the case that ex-forces are not aware of the help available or that they choose not to access it.

For anyone in the UK who has no help, or know of a veteran who has no help, here are a couple of links which can help you no end.

Royal British Legion The RBL can help you with housing, medical support, financial assistance for most issues, and many other things.

Veterans Agency If you left the forces in worse shape than you went in, these guys can help you claim for either a lump sum, or a War Pension. They are a wealth of info and can help you in more ways than you would imagine. As a war pensioner, i have priorty treatment at NHS hospitals and i don't have to pay for any medicines/aids that are needed for my forces related injuries.

Combat Stress Agency Ex-servicemans mental welfare service, they have respite and treatment centres for ex-service personnell.

By taking the first step of contacting these organisations, it can open a flood of assistance which at the end of the day, you have earned.

You can also get in touch with these agencies on behalf on someone. Many forces personnell put on a brave face and think they'll cope, when in reality, they don't have to it with such a struggle.

Take it from someone who has been there. I did'nt get the all the help until it was nearly too late, and now i can get on with my life a little easier than before.

Back on topic of veterans in the US, i find it very hard to believe that there is so little help available in this day and age. If that is the case, lets hope the troops there get a massive change in aftercare sooner rather than later.

CX.

join