It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Selling a Car -- Do I Take the Low Offer?

page: 1

log in


posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:45 PM
I'm selling my 1997 Pontiac Grand Am. It's Blue Book Value is $3100.

I've listed it for $2800 in hopes someone will offer $2500. So far, after nearly two weeks of the ad on craigslist, I have an offer of $2000.

I need at least $2200 to pay off the credit card bills from repairing and upgrading the car.

Should I take the $2000 or hold out for a better offer? I have an ad in the Pennysaver coming out, and I'm thinking of putting one in the Auto Trader.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 05:58 PM
if it was me selling
i would explain to the buyer why i need that amount and cannot go any lower, if he is interested he will buy it or if you really need the cash now, take it and forget about the loss.
if you can hold on you will eventually find a buyer.
good luck

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 07:25 PM
Well, you've already taken out the ad in pennysaver. AT is a good idea. Wait and see what kind of response you get from the PS ad at least.
Unless you are desperate don't take the 2k offer. counter offer.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:34 PM
I'm not desperate -- I want to pay off the credit card bill completely.

Thanks, guys, I think I just needed a little backup for what I wanted to do anyway.

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 10:59 AM
thats a toughie major. i have owned a lot of cars and working at the lot sold a few hundred of them.

you could get your $2800 offer tomorrow or it could sit for sale for another month.

that said, if you are not desperate, i would wait. i would wait cause believe it or not, that car you are talking about(model and price) are very popular xmas gifts....lotsa kids get 'first cars' for xmas and that grand am would be perfect.

if you are not desperate, i would wait lets say another month....if by december 1st you don't get the offer you want, take the closest offer you can get....
thats my advice, for what it is worth.

would you mind pm'ing me the ad so i can scope the car? you can black out your contact info if you want...
if not, it's cool.

for the blue book value, are you using retail value or trade in value or what?


posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 02:55 PM
Give them a counter offer. Negotiate. If you have a low point you dont want to cross...dont. Other offers will come.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:41 PM
I intend to. Some guy lowballed me and i told him I'd take $2500, but from his email address I gather he's some kind of used car dealer, and wouldn't come up from his low offer.

I'm still waiting for another offer. My friend's son is in high school and thinks he can find a buyer, so I'm letting him work for commission too.

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 06:30 PM
By FSM it took 2 months, but I finally got it sold today! I had to take less than I wanted, but I'm rid of it. Just in time for the new year.

new topics

top topics


log in