It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are US sub parts made?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
The reason I am wondering where sub parts are made relates to a bizzare traffic accident scene I saw on Interstate 40 here in East Tennessee. In the emergency lane there was a flatbed tractor trailer that had pulled off the road after a collision with a small car. The load he was carrying had obviously shifted dislodging that tarp that was covering it. The two guys I assumed were with the truck were really trying hard to get the thing covered back up. What I could see from my car as traffic crept by was a very large bronze seven-bladed screw (propeller). This prop was probably 18-20 feet across, each blade 6ft or so long, and sharply raked like curved knife blades. Some parts of it were covered in white plastic like new boats or cars, sort of like shrink wrap. It didn't look like any boat prop I had ever seen so I guessed submarine.

Granted, it's not like I saw a spaceship or anything. It just made me wonder where something like that came from or was going to. And from now on I am going to keep a digital camera umbilically attached to my hand.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics, based at Groton, Connecticut, has built 18 Ohio submarines, commissioned between 1981 and 1997.

www.naval-technology.com...

www.naval-technology.com...

[Edited on 29-1-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Parts for subs are made by subcontractors then the head contractor probably General Dynamics puts em together in Cali my pops used to work for Gen Dyna on cooling systems for ohio class subs

www.generaldynamics.com

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Sperry-Marine(a Northrop-Gruman Company) here in Charlottesville, Va. makes the rudders, guidence system, and Periscope, and Prop. I'm pretty sure thats it.

EDITED: Had to Add Prop.

[Edited on 2-17-2004 by muzz]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Also, wouldn't the Newport News Ship Yard in Newport News Va. have something to do with the building of them, I thought that most, if not all, of the Navy's ships.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Since I originally posted this, I found out that Rolls Royce Naval Marine has opened an advanced foundry in Pascagoula, Mississippi. There they produce aircraft carrier and submarine propellers, so it was probably on its way to the shipyards in the Northeast.

Additionally, the US Navy and the University of North Carolina at Charlotte are doing experiments on reduction of the time it takes to cast and finish the screws, from 12 months down to 4 months. It may have been an example of that project, too.

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzz
Also, wouldn't the Newport News Ship Yard in Newport News Va. have something to do with the building of them, I thought that most, if not all, of the Navy's ships.

Groton and Newport News build the majority of the US nuclear submarines. Groton builds/works on a variety of submarines, including the Seawolf.
Newport News builds virtually all the US's aircraft carriers, along with nuclear overhauls, such as the recent Enterprise overhaul of her nuclear proponents and general up-grading, as well.

Asking where the parts for a US nuclear submarine are made at....I'm sure the list would cover roughly 100+/- different contractors, vendors, sub-contractors.....in such, made from all around the country, including some foreign distributors.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 17 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Just the casual investigation and inquiries I have made show what an incredibly tangled web it is.

On a side note, I was surprised to learn that the Seawolf and Virginia classes are prop-less, using a pump jet propulser instead. Shades of Tom Clancy's Hunt for Red October.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzz

no, since that port has a giante crane and it is mainly used for ship repair on carriers and other large class naval ships, not submarines.

The area is not a dock bay, it is floating bay that resurfaces with the ship on top of the platform. GIANT CRANE!(900 tons)

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by ShatteredSkies]

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
"Northrop Grumman Newport News is the nation's sole designer, builder and refueler of nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and one of only two companies capable of designing and building nuclear-powered submarines. Newport News also provides after-market services for a wide array of naval and commercial vessels."
Found at Northrop-Grumman Newport News
Also "The NORFOLK NAVAL SHIPYARD in Portsmouth, Virginia, is one of the largest shipyards in the world specializing in repairing, overhauling and modernizing ships and submarines. It's the oldest and largest industrial facility that belongs to the U.S. Navy, and it's also the most multifaceted."
Found at Norfolk Navel Shipyards

[Edited on 2-25-2004 by muzz]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Thank you, muzz, for the links and info. That will take some time to read through but will be well worth it. I'm very intrigued by the Virginia class subs.

BTW, as a former EMT myself, your signature SLAYED me!

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Thanks, it hold true every time. lol, I'm an EMT/Firefighter. I know several people who worked at the ship yards and live in Virginia myself.

top topics

join