It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin compares U.S. missile shield to Cuban crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Putin compares U.S. missile shield to Cuban crisis

www.reuters.com

MAFRA, Portugal (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin drew a parallel on Friday between U.S. plans for a missile shield in Europe and the Cuban missile crisis in 1962, widely regarded as the closest the world came to nuclear war.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
What do you think? This got me worried, your toughts?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I think America is a little dim for planning on placing antimissile technology in Poland and the Czech Republic. Both countries are probably chock full of Russian spies. If the tech is placed there, wouldn't it be likely the Russian spies could study it and then send their findings over to Russia so that the tech could be copied?

Putin is being excessively dramatic, IMHO.

[edit on 26-10-2007 by uberarcanist]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Yes, i think Putin is being too dramatic. As we know that their Topol M launched ICBM missiles are impossible to intercept, they should have nothing to worry about. Then again, it still worries me.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Putin is trying to find a reason to stay in power regardless of what the Russian electoral system has set up.

There is no comparison between now and the Cuban missile crisis as then the Russians were placing offensive weapons in Cuba. The US missile defense is just that, defensive in nature.

Putin is an idiot, how be it a well armed idiot, but it doesn't change the fact.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Seems to me, Putnik's doing a better job convincing the world of his thoughts (real or unreal) than Bush. The Missile shield will slap Putnik into place as many European Nations will embrace it as it's security without being preemptive (remember Wolfowitz as deputy def sec?).

Dallas

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You all seem to be forgetting that missile defences represent a 'ace in the hole' when it comes to nuclear strategy - it means that we can fire nukes on russia without having to worry about reprisal.

Essentially, if we had nuke defences, Russia's 'nuclear deterge- (sp...)' against the west would turn to scrap.

No one has stated that these missile defences will work BOTH ways yet.

EDIT: Maybe he's finally realised that the next idiot is going to have to deal with this, and as such is showing a touch of responsibility that is due to his position of power.

[edit on 26-10-2007 by Throbber]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

He's also an idiot with the support of about seventy percent of Russia. Putin is a total demogogue, but his bark is far worse than his bite, IMHO. This so-called missile shield is imperfect as has already been demonstrated by other posters and thus MAD will still be very real. Putin has no real interest in major military maneuvers. Finally, I think Putin is secretly pleased of this latest move of the U.S. This is yet another soapbox issue for him to pontificate on over which he will have to do very little about but can still condemn it broadly and reap a lot of support.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Dunno, uberarcanist? Seems to me he's KGB (aka?), and in order to achieve fundamentals in the Russian philosophy of Communism (Do as your told), he is rapidly achieving Pure Power (or expanding it) and the power, I feel, will be transferred under-him, when elected and designated PM of Russia.

Dallas

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The missile shield is totally irrelevant to the War on Terror which the US is waging, and everyone understands it - and the reasons for it - despite the weak excuses about Iran's nuclear weapons. The missile shield is there to create a buffer against Russia for the future. Sure it's a weak and inefficient system that has limited capability now, but Russia sees it as a stepping stone. The first step - to place US military technology in Eastern Europe - is the hard one. The next steps will be easier.

The ABM system will be expanded, improved, and updated. With time it would be able to monitor and intercept flying objects in skies not just above Poland and Czech Republic, but Russia as well - with sufficient range. And defensive technologies may lead to offensive ones in a short matter of time. So why is US placing military hardware in Eastern Europe? Is it sensing another Cold War? And if so why is it taking the first steps towards its initiation, and why are US politicians not discussing this matter.

There is something besides War on Terror and Iran here, and everyone is digging their heads into the sand by either pointing at big bad Iran, or making excuses about why they think Putin is inherently evil. This is not about Putin - he is simply stating a point of view that supports his country. What is relevant is the reasoning behind the actions of US.

SO WHY IS THE MISSILE SHIELD THERE, AND WHY IS THE U.S. SO HELL-BENT ON PLACING IT THERE? I can only guess that the only answers that can be provided here will have the words "Putin" "evil" "commie" and "KGB" in it. That is about as far as comprehensive abilities of many people are able to stretch on this topic.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

As an American, I will say that I think Bush is an absolute dope for placing the so-called "missile defense" units in Eastern Europe, for a variety of reasons.

1. Why waste all this money? Isn't MAD still a valid military dogma?

2. Don't you know that this will cause an arms race (answer: yes you do, that's precisely what you want to make your military-industrial buddies rich and you, also, thru kickbacks) and the end result of that is that the system will be obsolete within about five years of completion?

3. Do you honestly think you can show your hindquarters to the rest of the world with no consequences, even personal consequences?

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion, thank you

Thread Closed

new topics

top topics

join