It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US imposes new sanctions on Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   

US imposes new sanctions on Iran

news.bbc.co.uk

The US has stepped up its sanctions on Iran for "supporting terrorists" and pursuing nuclear activities.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice announced penalties targeting Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps and three state-owned banks.

She said the moves were part of "a comprehensive policy to confront the threatening behaviour of the Iranians".
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-10-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Looks like the relations between the US and Iran are worsening by the day, these new sanctions are surely only going to infuriate the Iranians even more.

The US declared the Revolutionary Guards a "proliferator of weapons of mass destruction", a reference to ballistic missiles they are allegedly developing, while their elite overseas operations arm, the Quds Force, was singled out as a "supporter of terrorism".

The classification will allow the US to target the Iranian military's finances.

Targeting their military finances? Perhaps this is more of a strategic move to help the US. If the relations between these two countries deteriorate any more, a war will surely be inevitable, and without sufficient finances to the Iranian military, the US would already be one step ahead..

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
now we're moving! go go neo-cons! kill kill kill!

./sarcasm off

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
You can't fight an enemy who's got stacks of money now can you Bushco?
I mean they might spend it all on trying to save their country...you better go freeze the money now,so you can steal it later.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'm confused, didn't the US already freeze billions of dollars worth of Iranian assets and then hand it out to Americans who filed law suits against Iran?

questions

1. how much money does the US have of Iran (which is left)
2. didn't Iran prepare for this by moving most its assets

how much business does Iran do with the US anyway to make a difference?

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I think the US are trying to stop any country from trading with certain Iranian influences...and yes they have already pinched quite a bit Bodrul

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
OMG.

This is just getting too real, too fast.

These daily revelations of new action taken on the part of the US coupled with the positioning of emergency personel all over the country for last weeks drills and with the fires raging it would be so easy to implement the martial law if this country gets to quesy about potential war.

I am getting a bit quesy myself.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think the important thing about this is where they reference "Weapons of Mass Destruction". I know they have tried to prove Iran has helped the 'terrorists" in Iraq with IEDs, but before this I have not heard the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" war call.

I hope I am wrong and we do not end up starting another war and instituting a draft.

If only I could vote for Ron Paul today!

Mtmind

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
I think the US are trying to stop any country from trading with certain Iranian influences...and yes they have already pinched quite a bit Bodrul

major companies that deal with Iran are from
China and europe and most those go into millions and billions
these companies really going to stop what they are doing and lose money?

and on the other hand we have the words largest importer of goods threatening companies they wont buy their goodies if they dont do as they are told like they are the centre of the world and everything revolves around them,

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Ummmm.....we dont import much from Iran in case you havent noticed.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I'm confused, didn't the US already freeze billions of dollars worth of Iranian assets and then hand it out to Americans who filed law suits against Iran?

That's what I'm saying... It's as if the administration is picking a fight.

I don't get what their trying to prove with those statements/action's.

All their going to do is make Iran mad, and that's if the Iranians actually care.

I'm not all about the U.S getting involved in another war, but I personally think that the time for words and sanctions is over. Something has to break soon.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

Depends on what you mean by "we". The internet is a global thing, eh?

I`m in Japan. There is a significant amount of trade between Iran and Japan - most importantly oil, but it`s by no means limited to that. There are significant Japanese investments in Iran - ranging from oil and gas to the banking sector to automotive parts and heavy industry to textiles and agricultural produce... it`s a minor trading partner, but a partner nonetheless.

Japanese businesses stand to be hit by this, especially if they also do business with the USA. Same could be said for China and Russia, who both do a lot more business with Iran. I`m waiting to see a final analysis on this to see how it stands to impact the Japanese economy.

Unilateral sanctions like this cause people to take sides. If the 30 year grudge the american government has against Iran turns into a jump in the price of heating oil... as it did with the grudge against Iraq... a lot of people are going to take a side. It`s not going to be yours.

my 2¥

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Obviously, sanctions arent going to convince Iran to give up its 'right' to nuclear technology.
there's no proof of bomb building, and even the IAEA says there's no basis for accusations.

All I see us doing, is the pre Iraqi idea.

Sanction their military and government so its cash strapped and degraded, making for the easy kill..

We know sanctions wont stop their nuclear quest, but it will limit their economic and military ability.

obviously, stopping the nuclear path isnt our main objective... being Iran wanted direct discussions over the topic and we refused... yet still believe blockading their nation is in the best interests.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
didn't we do this with japan, and then Pearl Harber happened...so i don't no if anyone else makes the connection but i think that it is possible to assume that we want Iran to make the first move...sort of like the jocks picking on the nerd until he brings a gun to school and treys to shoot everyone.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Unfortunately, sanctions only hurt the people we want on our side: The middle class Iranians.

Will sanctions hurt the rich? Nope, they are rich and will stay that way.

How about the poor? They'll still be poor.

BUT, the middle class will be the ones to feel the pinch of economic sanctions against their country.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace

re-read my reply
worlds greatest importer of goods (products from China, India and so on)
i would have thought people would get the hint, well some people are slower then others so i wont say anything

reply to post by vox2442

exactly, and well put

[edit on 26-10-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
how do u destroy the middle east & billions of people?....act tough & pick heaps of fights...wonderful insight here between war & bankers $ (Money Lords)...unreal....who ever buys this WMD crap deserves all they get...pure Hypocrasy...no wonder a coalition of 5 invade the U.S.....the world will breath a sigh of relief
....but then the real NWO will kick in & things will get very 'dark' indeed.

posted on Oct, 29 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well, the U.S spit out enough sanctions that if sanctioning was a food it could feed the children of Africa.

And haven't they been preaching about Iran before about supporting Terrorists and building Nukes before?

Old dog, new tricks..

new topics

top topics

join