It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM sperm 'is possible in humans'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
"Laboratory experiments suggest it may be possible one day to genetically alter human sperm cells to permanently eradicate genetic diseases."

Full Story

Is this the first stone on the road to a Gattaca society or a chance to preserve our species against all odds.

Discuss?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
LOL!
My neighbor was over (we're both iced/snowed in) and saw this thread on my computer screen and said;
"I didn't know General Motors was selling sperm now?!?"
I'm still giggling...

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
LOL!
My neighbor was over (we're both iced/snowed in) and saw this thread on my computer screen and said;
I'm still giggling...

OMG that is soooooo funny....

On a serious note modifying the sperm is only half the equation you would still have to modify the egg.

[Edited on 27-1-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Wonder if it would have a 3litre injection driven device somewhere in there?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

LOL!
I'm still giggling...

What!?! You mean they are NOT! Then why did that man from GM offer to.....oh my god! What have I done!?!

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

LOL!
I'm still giggling...

What!?! You mean they are NOT! Then why did that man from GM offer to.....oh my god! What have I done!?!

very good....

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If this becomes possible, it would likely be only the rich who would be able to afford it. An even more drastic widening of the classes...

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Just another ploy to get american children to buy american cars from general motors when they grow up.

Probubly started to combat the success of Ford trucks.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
thx for stating the obvious...............

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
If this becomes possible, it would likely be only the rich who would be able to afford it. An even more drastic widening of the classes...

I think it also pertinent to discuss the long term remifications - we, as a society, have a history of introducing the next "wonder" be it medicinal or scientific without long term planning. One only has to look at thalidomyde to see the damage this short-sightedness can bring.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   

One only has to look at thalidomyde to see the damage this short-sightedness can bring.

care to clue me in on what this is?

One problem I could see is that some genetic "diseases" could end up making some people immune to other illness we don't know about yet.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
It was a drug prescribed to pregnant women to combat morning sickness but had unforseen adverse side effects including serious birth defects

Have a look at the link below to find out more.

Info

top topics

join