It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about immigration and customs enforcement (ICE)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
First, let me start by saying I am new to this website and do not know where this topic belongs, so if it is in the wrong section, could a mod please let me know....thanks

Anyway, in one of my law classes on Friday, we had a guest speaker from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). He had the normal presentation consisting of a powerpoint, video, lecture, etc. However, there was one thing that caught my attention. When he was talking about arrests, he mentioned that ICE is the only government agency that does not require a warrent for searches and arrests. My question, is how can they get away with that. Doesnt the constitution directly state that one is protected from unwarrented searches and seizures? So what the ICE agent was saying is that the constitution doesnt apply to us anymore? Awesome.

Also, he said that that applies to all U.S. citizens, not just illegal immigrants. So theoretically, an ICE agent could just waltz on into my house, take my computer, and arrest me without a reason or a warrant.

Gotta love the us.

Does anyone know how this is legal or why it has not been mentioned before?

thanks,

Eric

posted on Oct, 22 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
No one has any ideas to how this unconstitutional idea is legal?

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
My CCJS courses kind of glossed over aspects of immigration law, but it's my understanding that ICE doesn't need a warrant if they have reason to believe somebody's immigration status isn't kosher.

They can detain even citizens they suspect are involved in human trafficking or whom they come across while investigating someone's immigration status - say, for example, you're hanging out at your friend's place and he isn't supposed to be here, they can detain you also if they show up.

Remember that immigration law is technically civil law, and that ICE is part of the executive branch of government, not the judiciary. Same with immigration courts - not part of the judiciary. Immigration law can be confusing, but even if you're a legal resident you're a guest here - just visiting - and the constitution does not apply to you, immigration law does until you become a citizen.

There's been lots of controversy over the agency's powers, though, I can assure you of that.

new topics

join