It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JPL: The Fight Against HSPD-12

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I was just doing my usual mousing-around looking for "space-junk" and I came across this non-NASA site that seems to indicate some sort of contest between JPL workers and Homeland Security Presidential Directive - 12 that has been ongoing for a while and the courts are involved.

Seems "organized" on all sides. Many scientists are strong-willed "types" of principle. DHS for some is considered similarly. Both trains are in-bound at full stream on the same rails. I normally watch the space-arena fairly closely but I've been spending time sailing and I suppose I missed this. A link to the site in question - www.hspd12jpl.org...

Could we see a number of JPL scientists leave? How about other centers? Um, JPL has some pretty-heavy brain capitol - a national treasure of sorts... I bet they could make an i-Pod that doesn't burst into flames...

Is the issue really "privacy" or "bureaucratic intervention"? Maybe something else?

If one does some searches there are a number of MSM articles buried in datascape... does anyone really care?

JPL has a hand in many projects right about now... might any mission objectives be threatened? Can anyone at DHS do their job? How about over at JPL?

Anyone want to fly on an orbiter without an APU hot-fire test?

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 8-10-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Hmmmm... I know some folks at JPL and they are (mostly) fuming in silence - but that will likely change.

Will they leave if they feel infringed upon excessively? I think some will, but many will simply bite the bullet and take their bitter medicine (anally if necessary). Why? Because even under the proposed circumstances, JPL is still one of the best places to work with your peers in the discipline of propulsive dreams (aux power unit malfunctions aside). It's also in a prime location (Pasadena) that most don't want to give up, and has the most direct links to other like-minded types both inside and outside the space cowboy arena.

A career at JPL, esp. one built up over a decade or three is a tough thing to give up - and to do what? Teach at some vocational school? Join Buzz, Burt, or Virgin-son on a space-tourism quest? Nah - grumble some and just continue on - maybe look forward to a bit of eventual tack and jibe on the blue Pacific...

Curious to see how the mudslinging will turn out, though... Thanks for shedding some light on it, Vic...

join