It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan's Musharraf Sweeps Election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Pakistan's Musharraf Sweeps Election

www.washingtonpost.com

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan -- Pakistan's Gen. Pervez Musharraf swept Saturday's presidential election, according to unofficial results, but the Supreme Court could still disqualify the military leader in the vote boycotted by nearly all of Pakistan's opposition.

The election by federal and provincial lawmakers was a one-sided affair. Just over half the eligible lawmakers turned out to vote, with nearly all the opposition parties abstaining or boycotting to protest Musharraf's bid for a new five-year term while still army chief.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.latimes.com
www.cnn.com
www.bloomberg.com
www.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Riots in Islamabad Over Musharraf

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I guess it's no surprise that this would be a landslide considering that that the opposition boycotted the election.

They are hoping that the court will rule that Musharras's candidacy was unconstitutional, litigation which centers on Musharraf's dual role as military leader and president.

He was given an exemption before and has pledged to give up the military office should he be re-elected.

The election results will not become official until the decision of the court ruling on the case.

The election comes just days after a riot occured in Islamabad, protesters were rallying against Musharraf's dual status.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit:sp

[edit on 2007/10/6 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There is another one of these news threads now, you can trash mine if you wish, the other one is active.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Odd that we support dictatorships. I think OBL has plans to overthrow this one. I see no good outcome. For the West, anyway.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Occurs he is the winner, nothing better than a dictator that got the chance to prove he won by the vote of the people.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
my opinion

That's what happens when you boycott a vote.

If you cant be bothered to turn out then it's your own darn fault what happens.

Many Politicians have tried this scheme before and every time they boycotted

an election guess what!! the guy the hate wins by a landslide.

but thats just my opinion

new topics

top topics

join