It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Hate Bill 2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Relgious Hate bill was introduced to the Uk around 2005, its aim was to stop racial and religious hate crime within the United Kingdom. Now, in 2007, we can all see that it has clearly failed.

Its main golas and purpose was to put any one in prision, up to 7 years for any sort of Racial and/or Religious hatred. Nevertheless there are soem flaws in this, for example if one muslim says a racist word to another Muslim, nothing happens, if a white UK citizen says a racist wiord to a muslim, big problems arise for that white person.

The words of the law are...

creates offences involving stirring up hatred against persons on religious grounds, and amends provisions relating to offences involving stirring up hatred against persons on racial grounds.

Whilst the bill is set to be welcomed by Muslim groups, a powerful coalition of comedians and libertarians are set to argue that it will infringe free speech.

I think we all know that this bill has not done much in the past years and isnt likly to do any thing more, so is it time for a new law to be introduced into the UK ?

Thats all i got, just got board here and thought id post some thing. Hope you enjoyed it.

Link to source
Link to the law in words

ProTo FF

[edit on 3-10-2007 by ProTo Fire Fox]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
The bill has not done much for the simple reason that it was only enacted in law two days ago.

Although the bill was published in 2005, (and that was not the first attempt to get it into law), and passed as an Act of Parliament in 2006 its provisions only came into effect on 1st October 2007.

How effective it will be and to what extent it will be hijacked by petty and malicious claims remains to be seen.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test
How effective it will be and to what extent it will be hijacked by petty and malicious claims remains to be seen.

It certainly seems like a law open to abuse like that. I'm all for allowing people to follow whatever particular religion they wish without having to fear any kind of abuse or persecution (provided they do not believe their religion supersedes the law or use it to harm others/force them to do something they don't want to do) but I'm also for allowing people to discuss, debate and criticise any religion they want to freely and without having to fear any consequences. This is not hatred; it is intelligent, sensible and democratic debate and must not be censored by anyone at all. The right to free speech is just as essential as the right to free religion. To disagree with something does not mean that you hate it, and people must take this into account before they start trying to accuse people under this law. I have a feeling some religious groups (especially from the three Abrahamic religions) will use this to try to silence their critics. If the law is used in this way, it must be repealed or thoroughly revised as swiftly as possible.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Welcome to the board ProTo Fire Fox, I hope you will enjoy your time here.

Like all British law this one will have a period of challenge and amendment and change (through the courts and Parliament).

Given that t is in fact so 'young' it is far too early to be making sweeping judgements about it.

[edit on 3-10-2007 by sminkeypinkey]

new topics

top topics

join