It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I had to put my Cat down today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
My cat Malibu, and long time companion was suffering a great deal. I've had her for 18 years and she just recently went down hill.

Malibu was telling me in many ways that she was really hurting and please help me take away my pain, watching her suffer was eating me up inside. She was a wonderful friend and companion for many years and I was not going to prolong her suffering, in spite of what the vets said they could do.

Maybe Malibu might have lived another 6 months/year, but she would have had to have multiple surgeries and been on lots of meds, it was just time to set her free from the misery and suffering that she didn't deserve.

Malibu will always have a special place in my heart and I hope to see her again when I check out. I'll miss you Malibu......................

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Realtruth]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I know it's no conciliation, but you were lucky to have Malibu for 18 years, that's a long life for a cat. Think about the good and not the bad. Think about her suffering being over. Condolences.

Peace

[edit on 27-9-2007 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
My thoughts are with you and your dear friend Malibu.

My cats to me though are extremely important, and I appreciate the friendship that we share. No matter how bad of a day I am having, when I come home looking to relax, there they are smiling from ear to ear, looking to be petted endlessly. And I'm just as happy to pet the little buggers.

The thought of having to put one of them down would be quite unbearable. Having to make that decision is something that I'm sure you did not come to lightly.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this with us,

Oh this just made me cry ..Rip Malibu ...

I can so relate to you at this time, I recently had to have a kitty put down due to respotory illness and gosh its one of the hardest things i have ever had to do,

Every day i have cryed wishing there was something that could have done but her illness was untreatable, and she could not breath on her own,

Heck maybe if theres an up threre they can be friends

I feel your pain so i wish tyour kitty to be a star up there in the sky,

Big hugs,

[edit on 27-9-2007 by asala]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I had to have my cat put down a couple of years ago. The crap in the commercial cat food finally shut his liver down. I knew he was losing weight, and his breath smelled, but I thought he just wasn't doing well because of a change in diet and the heat and didn't get him to the vet as soon as I should have. His mouth was completely ulcerated, couldn't eat at all.

I held him while he died at the vet's. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do -- I got that cat as a new kitten when I lived on the streets, had him for 13 years. I had him cremated and have his ashes in a little redwood box.

It was hard, and terrible, and I cried for days. I wrote a long poem about it, and about how guilty I felt, the first poem I'd written in years. But I knew I did the right thing. i could have put him on IV and kept him alive for a few months, but he would have suffered so badly during that time.

Sometimes it's the ultimate act of kindness to help an animal end its life. It's so hard to do for us, and I know there isn't anything I can say to help you feel better. But my thoughts are with you.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
i never understood how people got all bunged up about things like this....then i got my basset and i TOTALLY understand...

i feel bad for ya man....my dude is only 2.5 and i am already thinking about 7 years from now when he is all old and possibly in pain and it tears me up....

this dog is my best friend...

i feel your pain brosef....

you gonna wait a bit and get another cat?

maybe will take you out of your slump...

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Sometimes it's the ultimate act of kindness to help an animal end its life.

this is true...i was a vet tech assistant in florida for a spell some time ago...they put a lot of dogs down there.
i used to 'assist' which basically was just me petting the dog....it really tore me up at first watching these dogs die and watching their family flip out...
then i got to look at it a different way....these dogs/cats would come in and some of them would be so damn old/messed up with medical problems that it is the right thing to do.

it is very peaceful too. they inject em and they take a breath, and thats it...

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Hey man, sorry to hear about it. I'm also basically a 'cat person', and my current little buddy hangs out with me all the time, especially if I'm having shrimp!

Are you going to get a new cat? You tend to forget just how much fun a kitten can be when you've had an adult cat for a long time - not to diminish the loss in any way.

We got our cat, a tiger with white paws, when we moved into our house about 15 years ago and he's beginning to show his age, too.

Anyway thanks for the posting, and sorry to hear about it.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Thank you all for you kind words, they are very much appreciated and heart felt.

Before Malibu I had never had a pet, but I learned a great deal in the time we were together. When I first discovered her from the pound she was 2 days away from being put down, so the love and long life and the friendship we shared together were a special bonus.

I think the toughest part now is trying to explain to my 3 year old where his cat is, because he keeps asking "Where's my cat daddy?"

As for the question of a new Cat, well I think we are going to take a breather then maybe we'll get a new kitten.

To all you pet owners out there, or maybe it is the other way around? Anyhow, give your pets a hug for me and just treasure the moments you have now, because that is what lives on.

Warmest Regards,

RT

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
laaaal 18 years thats really a long live,if you ask me man you did the wright thing,i also get really attached to animals and im going to get a cat soon too,and im sorry for your kitty,but you did the wright thing,cant let the animal in the pain

join